MLB is a joke

Le Grand Orange

MLB is a joke

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat May 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Ump just threw Noah out of the game for throwing behind Utley in a 0-0 game in the third. Fox Saturday night game and 1986 night at Citi. Not to mention the fantasy implications. Absolute and utter disgrace.
Last edited by Le Grand Orange on Sat May 28, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Winokur
Known Aliases "Le Grand Orange" "Gooden Plenty" and "Sky King"

KJ Duke

Re: MLB is a joke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat May 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Le Grand Orange wrote:Ump just threw Noah out of the game for throwing behind Utley in a 0-0 game in the third. Fox Saturday night game and 1986 night at Citi. Not to mention the fantasy implications. Absolute and utter disgrace.
Agreed. Umps have become overly sensitive to a ridiculous degree. Watch clips from 20 years ago and you'll see players and managers throw fits and argue and not get thrown out unless it dragged on for a long time. Now just look at an ump for 3 seconds too long and he'll toss you. Fans want to see the players play ... the umps/MLB seems to have lost sight of that.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:35 pm

Was anything done previously in this game to a Mets batter? I really don't understand this.

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat May 28, 2016 6:37 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:Was anything done previously in this game to a Mets batter? I really don't understand this.
No and no warning from what I can tell. I've never seen anything like it.
Marc Winokur

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat May 28, 2016 6:37 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:Was anything done previously in this game to a Mets batter? I really don't understand this.
Utley playoff retaliation. Didn't even hit him, sent a message, which is apparently grounds for ejection now.

It seems to me ejections used to be a last resort to keep games moving. Now if you either send a message or hurt an ump's feelings you're ejected. It's pussification, one level down from wussification.
Last edited by KJ Duke on Sat May 28, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Le Grand Orange wrote:Ump just threw Noah out of the game for throwing behind Utley in a 0-0 game in the third. Fox Saturday night game and 1986 night at Citi. Not to mention the fantasy implications. Absolute and utter disgrace.
Agreed. Umps have become overly sensitive to a ridiculous degree. Watch clips from 20 years ago and you'll see players and managers throw fits and argue and not get thrown out unless it dragged on for a long time. Now just look at an ump for 3 seconds too long and he'll toss you. Fans want to see the players play ... the umps/MLB seems to have lost sight of that.
Exactly. Not going to grow the game like this.
Marc Winokur

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sat May 28, 2016 7:09 pm

When you throw at somebody intentionally, you're always taking the chance you're going to get tossed. Syndergaard got away with it when he threw at Escobar last year in the playoffs. Today he didn't. Get used to it. It's not 20 years ago anymore. What happened then doesn't apply now. With the amount of money invested in these players now, the rules are only going to get more protective of intentional pitches like this going forward.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat May 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Sorta lame 'getting even' for a player who doesn't play on your team the following year anyway.
If you're going to throw at a hitter, hit 'em!
If Syn hits 'em, instead of the obvious miss, he probably stays in the game.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat May 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Yup. Makes complete sense that the ump throws out Noah in a 0-0 game for not even coming close to hitting Utley and knowing MLB, Noah will get suspended. While Utley, who breaks Tejada's leg, gets off with an overturned suspension, on a slide that caused MLB to make a rule change because of the slide that he didn't get suspended for.

Yup, makes a lot of sense.

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat May 28, 2016 7:19 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Sorta lame 'getting even' for a player who doesn't play on your team the following year anyway.
If you're going to throw at a hitter, hit 'em!
If Syn hits 'em, instead of the obvious miss, he probably stays in the game.
Agreed Dan. Didn't get his money's worth, but probably would have been tossed anyway. Post 86 Mets not good at this part of the game.
Marc Winokur

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat May 28, 2016 7:21 pm

TParsons wrote:When you throw at somebody intentionally, you're always taking the chance you're going to get tossed. Syndergaard got away with it when he threw at Escobar last year in the playoffs. Today he didn't. Get used to it. It's not 20 years ago anymore. What happened then doesn't apply now. With the amount of money invested in these players now, the rules are only going to get more protective of intentional pitches like this going forward.
I've never seen an ejection without a warning AND without anyone getting hit. The fans are the ones investing the money and they'll go watch Dancing with the Stars if this is how it's going to be.
Marc Winokur

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Sat May 28, 2016 7:29 pm

Unless the teams were warned before the game or series started or carried over from the LA series. Still BS though.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat May 28, 2016 7:31 pm

For this game, the Mets are Wile E. Coyote to Utley's Road Runner.

We'll never know what might have happened if he had been ignored or plunked...
On my tombstone-

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sat May 28, 2016 7:35 pm

Le Grand Orange wrote:
TParsons wrote:When you throw at somebody intentionally, you're always taking the chance you're going to get tossed. Syndergaard got away with it when he threw at Escobar last year in the playoffs. Today he didn't. Get used to it. It's not 20 years ago anymore. What happened then doesn't apply now. With the amount of money invested in these players now, the rules are only going to get more protective of intentional pitches like this going forward.
I've never seen an ejection without a warning AND without anyone getting hit. The fans are the ones investing the money and they'll go watch Dancing with the Stars if this is how it's going to be.
You're going by the unwritten rules of baseball. In the actual rules the umpire can eject the pitcher at any time if he believes the pitcher is throwing at the batter intentionally. It doesn't matter if you or anybody else has seen it without warning before. It's in the REAL rules. Hit a batter intentionally, take the chance of being ejected. It's very clear in the rules.

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat May 28, 2016 7:40 pm

TParsons wrote:
Le Grand Orange wrote:
You're going by the unwritten rules of baseball. In the actual rules the umpire can eject the pitcher at any time if he believes the pitcher is throwing at the batter intentionally. It doesn't matter if you or anybody else has seen it without warning before. It's in the REAL rules. Hit a batter intentionally, take the chance of being ejected. It's very clear in the rules.
I didn't realize you were an ump. T Ball? Find me an example of when it's ACTUALLY happened. It hasn't.
Marc Winokur

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat May 28, 2016 7:51 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:For this game, the Mets are Wile E. Coyote to Utley's Road Runner.

We'll never know what might have happened if he had been ignored or plunked...
Ignored last night and knocked in 4. Unreal...
Marc Winokur

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sat May 28, 2016 7:57 pm

Le Grand Orange wrote:
TParsons wrote: You're going by the unwritten rules of baseball. In the actual rules the umpire can eject the pitcher at any time if he believes the pitcher is throwing at the batter intentionally. It doesn't matter if you or anybody else has seen it without warning before. It's in the REAL rules. Hit a batter intentionally, take the chance of being ejected. It's very clear in the rules.
I didn't realize you were an ump. T Ball? Find me an example of when it's ACTUALLY happened. It hasn't.
And i didn't realize you were a baby. Perhaps I should have with all the crying you're doing. Maybe in a few years I can ump one of your tee ball games.

If your guys were so tough, they would have hit him in game 5 of the NLDS. They didn't and now you want to cry when they retaliate 7 months later and your pitcher gets tossed. Cry me a river, Mets fans. I can remember on these very boards when you guys were talking about how big and tough Sundergaard was for throwing at Escobar in the World Series. "That's baseball" you said. So was Utley's hard slide. The outcome was an unfortunate broken leg for Tejada. The Royals didn't retaliate in the opening series this year, although many thought they would. They put winning above retaliation. You keep crying about your boy getting thrown out for intentionally throwing a 100mph ball at a player 7 months after the fact.

For rules you can use http://www.google.com.

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat May 28, 2016 8:09 pm

TParsons wrote:
Le Grand Orange wrote:
TParsons wrote: You're going by the unwritten rules of baseball. In the actual rules the umpire can eject the pitcher at any time if he believes the pitcher is throwing at the batter intentionally. It doesn't matter if you or anybody else has seen it without warning before. It's in the REAL rules. Hit a batter intentionally, take the chance of being ejected. It's very clear in the rules.
And i didn't realize you were a baby. Perhaps I should have with all the crying you're doing. Maybe in a few years I can ump one of your tee ball games.

If your guys were so tough, they would have hit him in game 5 of the NLDS. They didn't and now you want to cry when they retaliate 7 months later and your pitcher gets tossed. Cry me a river, Mets fans. I can remember on these very boards when you guys were talking about how big and tough Sundergaard was for throwing at Escobar in the World Series. "That's baseball" you said. So was Utley's hard slide. The outcome was an unfortunate broken leg for Tejada. The Royals didn't retaliate in the opening series this year, although many thought they would. They put winning above retaliation. You keep crying about your boy getting thrown out for intentionally throwing a 100mph ball at a player 7 months after the fact.

For rules you can use http://www.google.com.
Crying? Hardly. Pointing out that if MLB wants to grow the game they can't be tossing out one of the young stars for a phantom plunking during a nationally televised game. Also, pointing out that this has never happened in the 40 years I've been watching baseball. I'm obviously pissed about the game and was only joking about the ump crack, but go ahead and call me a baby if it makes you feel good...
Marc Winokur

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Sat May 28, 2016 8:14 pm

it sucks as a noah owner, but was warranted.

and it's kinda funny seeing utley channel 2007 this series

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sat May 28, 2016 8:55 pm

The last thing that MLB was worried about were the "fantasy implications". This was at the bottom of the list -- right below the type of mustard being used on the hot dogs. Fantasy baseball is gambling. Expect the unexpected.

Guys -- face it, the game and the times have changed, and MLB is not going to stand for this nonsense. These players make too much money to risk losing a superstar for a half season because a brawl erupts and someone breaks their hand throwing a punch. Or whatever else might happen. Utley's slide was hard nosed baseball in a playoff game. His intent was not to injure. If the situation were reversed a Mets player would have made the exact same slide.

Mets: pick up a copy of The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" and pump up the song GET OVER IT.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat May 28, 2016 9:45 pm

TOXIC ASSETS wrote: Guys -- face it, the game and the times have changed, and MLB is not going to stand for this nonsense. These players make too much money to risk losing a superstar for a half season because a brawl erupts and someone breaks their hand throwing a punch.
Most ejections are the result of an umpire's hurt feeling.

Explain that with an answer that doesn't include wussification. :D

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat May 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Not being said is that the Mets use a winnable game, with their best pitcher to throw at Utley.
An incident that should be dead, resurrected to lose them a game.
The umpire's decision can be questioned, the decision to obviously plunk Utley, maybe even more.

But hey, how 'bout that Dallas Keuchel :D
On my tombstone-

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat May 28, 2016 10:23 pm

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:Utley's slide was hard nosed baseball in a playoff game. His intent was not to injure. If the situation were reversed a Mets player would have made the exact same slide.
MLB changed the rule regarding sliding into 2nd, directly because of the Utley slide. You dont know his intent and your comments, while obviously made to piss off Mets fans, are simply ignorant. MLB admitted to the fact that the Utley slide was dirty, yet Utley doesnt get penalized, the Mets do, twice.

But yeah, Syndergaard, after not even coming close to hitting Utley, gets more of a penalty.

There is no rule for purpose pitches. Syndergaard was obviously NOT trying to hurt Utley. It was an awful ejection by the umpire. Plain and simple.

Money

Post by Money » Sat May 28, 2016 10:26 pm

I could not hear the game but saw the pitch and what ensued. It was the most half hearted attempt ever. Lets face it, Syndergaards heart was not in it. He missed his target by a distance that any single A pitcher does not miss by let alone an elite pitcher at the highest level, at 70 miles per hour no less. Any wussification was on his part, either you do it or you don't. He didn't want to do it but thought he should I guess. The Mets didn't think it through properly as a team, period. They deserved what they got.
Joe

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat May 28, 2016 10:46 pm

This was the 6th game of the 7 that Utley will play vs. the Mets this year. Shame on the Mets for putting Syn in a position to feel like he had to handle it -- even though throwing that far behind Utley was a hilariously weak way of handling it. What the hell was that pitch anyway? Total puss effort. If you're going to hit him, then hit the sumbitch.

Between this and the Rangers waiting for the final AB in the 7th game of 7 this year vs Joey Bats, I wonder why the hell these two teams even bothered. All these two instances show me is how weak the resolve of the teams seeking revenge really are.

The rules are wussified. The umps are wussified. And the retaliation tactics and planning of the teams seeking revenge are downright hilarious to me.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey