MLB is a joke

BK METS

Re: MLB is a joke

Post by BK METS » Sat May 28, 2016 11:44 pm

There were no warnings before the game or the series. The umpires interviewed after the game admitted as much. Never before have i seen a player ejected for a purpose pitch that didn't hit a batter, without warning, however lame the pitch appeared to be. Syndergaard is a smart pitcher. He didn't want to hurt the guy. If he wanted to, he would have, but he didn't want to get ejected. That's the big missing point. He is their best pitcher in a 0-0 game in the 3rd inning. He is not looking to hit Utley but simply send a message. He wants to win the game and he is their best chance. Utley didn't even react. He got the message and did nothing. The Mets had no plan to hit Utley at all.

Baseball has been a game of these types of pitches for 100 years. Especially after a home run or another incident. There was never a brawl, last year or tonight. Even Utley said he was expecting it and understood it. Why then the quick ejection? That part makes no sense to me. The point being made that it was a bad effort is just ridiculous. Why does that matter? He purposely did not want to hit him. Throwing at his head would maybe have warranted an objection. This was a purpose pitch that he intentionally threw behind him. Maybe a lame attempt but that's the entire point. No attempt to injure.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun May 29, 2016 4:21 am

BK METS wrote:There were no warnings before the game or the series. The umpires interviewed after the game admitted as much. Never before have i seen a player ejected for a purpose pitch that didn't hit a batter, without warning, however lame the pitch appeared to be. Syndergaard is a smart pitcher. He didn't want to hurt the guy. If he wanted to, he would have, but he didn't want to get ejected. That's the big missing point. He is their best pitcher in a 0-0 game in the 3rd inning. He is not looking to hit Utley but simply send a message. He wants to win the game and he is their best chance. Utley didn't even react. He got the message and did nothing. The Mets had no plan to hit Utley at all.

Baseball has been a game of these types of pitches for 100 years. Especially after a home run or another incident. There was never a brawl, last year or tonight. Even Utley said he was expecting it and understood it. Why then the quick ejection? That part makes no sense to me. The point being made that it was a bad effort is just ridiculous. Why does that matter? He purposely did not want to hit him. Throwing at his head would maybe have warranted an objection. This was a purpose pitch that he intentionally threw behind him. Maybe a lame attempt but that's the entire point. No attempt to injure.
Why send a message at all??? Why not simply move on with life. And if you WERE going to send a message, then plunk the guy in the ribs, 1970's style. If you were going to re-open the entire issue, then do it right. But no, he throws a BS pitch that accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Again.....baseball players are making much more $$ than ever before. Teams need these guys on the field, not on the DL. If I were an owner --- I would want everything done, that could be done, to prevent brawls from occurring. Why do you think they have the new rules in there about home plate collisions. It's not 1970 any more (sorry - Dan!). Those days are not coming back.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun May 29, 2016 6:30 am

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:The last thing that MLB was worried about were the "fantasy implications". This was at the bottom of the list -- right below the type of mustard being used on the hot dogs. Fantasy baseball is gambling. Expect the unexpected.
Let's put an end to this controversy right now...spicy brown mustard is the only mustard that should be used on hot dogs....

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sun May 29, 2016 7:07 am

BK METS wrote: MLB changed the rule regarding sliding into 2nd, directly because of the Utley slide. You dont know his intent and your comments, while obviously made to piss off Mets fans, are simply ignorant. MLB admitted to the fact that the Utley slide was dirty, yet Utley doesnt get penalized, the Mets do, twice.
BK METS wrote:Syndergaard is a smart pitcher. He didn't want to hurt the guy. If he wanted to, he would have, but he didn't want to get ejected. That's the big missing point. He is their best pitcher in a 0-0 game in the 3rd inning. He is not looking to hit Utley but simply send a message. He wants to win the game and he is their best chance. Utley didn't even react. He got the message and did nothing. The Mets had no plan to hit Utley at all.

He purposely did not want to hit him. Throwing at his head would maybe have warranted an objection. This was a purpose pitch that he intentionally threw behind him. Maybe a lame attempt but that's the entire point. No attempt to injure.

So, you know all of the Mets intentions. Toxic Assets' did not know Utley's intent, and his comments are ignorant because he disagrees with you. Everything is clear now.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun May 29, 2016 10:08 am

I'm quite certain that Utley's intensions last year were not to injure. Watched him play for a long time in Philly, he always played hard, but never dirty.

Seems like the entire issue is being driven by disgruntled Mets fans and N.S. fantasy owners who got a bad start out of him. Part of the game.

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun May 29, 2016 11:22 am

Interesting takes by everyone. I actually think both sides are correct. I think Syndegaard did intentionally throw the pitch behind Utley on purpose, BUT it was nowhere near him, did not even come close to hitting him and, because MLB Umpires never eject in that situation, this should have been a simple warning to both teams, no harm, no foul, no one was hit, no one was injured and a message was sent to Utley. But Adam Hamari, a minor-league call-up Umpire, known for a quick trigger, over reacted and showed that he's operating based on MLB's written rules, not the "unwritten" rules MLB Umpires continue to opearte under in these situations. Maybe MLB shouldn't have a rookie Umpire behind the plate on a marquee game who clearly wasn't aware of how things are handled by MLB Umpires in these situations. Kenny Rosenthal nailed the issue in his column when he chastises the Umpires for not consistently dealing with enforcement of these intentional-message-pitch situations:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/noah ... ncy-052816
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun May 29, 2016 11:43 am

I can't believe I'm taking the umpire's side in this one.

Warnings seem to always be ignored so what good is a warning?
It's the umpires who are sending the message.

In a few years they'll all be replaced by robots so I feel their desperation to remain relevant.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (92.83 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun May 29, 2016 12:16 pm

2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun May 29, 2016 12:20 pm

COZ wrote: But Adam Hamari, a minor-league call-up Umpire, known for a quick trigger, over reacted and showed that he's operating based on MLB's written rules, not the "unwritten" rules MLB Umpires continue to opearte under in these situations. Maybe MLB shouldn't have a rookie Umpire behind the plate on a marquee game who clearly wasn't aware of how things are handled by MLB Umpires in these situations.
Surprised he didn't take a selfie of himself while he was doing it. Let's hope that's the last we see of him and his 30 seconds of fame. I wouldn't want him umping my softball game.

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sun May 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Yes, but batter got hit. Not the same Todd.
Marc Winokur
Known Aliases "Le Grand Orange" "Gooden Plenty" and "Sky King"

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Sun May 29, 2016 1:18 pm

BK METS wrote:Yup. Makes complete sense that the ump throws out Noah in a 0-0 game for not even coming close to hitting Utley and knowing MLB, Noah will get suspended. While Utley, who breaks Tejada's leg, gets off with an overturned suspension, on a slide that caused MLB to make a rule change because of the slide that he didn't get suspended for.

Yup, makes a lot of sense.

BUT he threw behind him - miss somewhere else and get the message across and he wouldn't have been tossed

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun May 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Le Grand Orange wrote:
Just addressing the hyperbolic claim that no pitcher in the history of Major League baseball has ever been tossed without a warning by citing an example of when it happened to a guy most of us have heard of.

Subscribe HERE

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sun May 29, 2016 1:32 pm

ToddZ wrote:
Le Grand Orange wrote:
Just addressing the hyperbolic claim that no pitcher in the history of Major League baseball has ever been tossed without a warning by citing an example of when it happened to a guy most of us have heard of.
I never made that claim. I said no one has been tossed without a warning AND without hitting someone. However, that is another perfect example of the MLB being a joke in this regard.
Marc Winokur

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun May 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Le Grand Orange wrote:
I never made that claim. I said no one has been tossed without a warning AND without hitting someone. However, that is another perfect example of the MLB being a joke in this regard.
Sorry for the confusion, if I was specifically addressing you I would have quoted you.

Subscribe HERE

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sun May 29, 2016 1:45 pm

ToddZ wrote:
Le Grand Orange wrote:
Sorry for the confusion, if I was specifically addressing you I would have quoted you.
My bad Todd. The point I am trying to make is that MLB needs to keep the fans in my mind in all matters both on and off the field. Hopefully we can all agree on that!
Marc Winokur

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun May 29, 2016 4:53 pm

COZ wrote:Interesting takes by everyone. I actually think both sides are correct. I think Syndegaard did intentionally throw the pitch behind Utley on purpose, BUT it was nowhere near him, did not even come close to hitting him and, because MLB Umpires never eject in that situation, this should have been a simple warning to both teams, no harm, no foul, no one was hit, no one was injured and a message was sent to Utley. But Adam Hamari, a minor-league call-up Umpire, known for a quick trigger, over reacted and showed that he's operating based on MLB's written rules, not the "unwritten" rules MLB Umpires continue to opearte under in these situations. Maybe MLB shouldn't have a rookie Umpire behind the plate on a marquee game who clearly wasn't aware of how things are handled by MLB Umpires in these situations. Kenny Rosenthal nailed the issue in his column when he chastises the Umpires for not consistently dealing with enforcement of these intentional-message-pitch situations:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/noah ... ncy-052816
Excellent points

knuckleheads

Post by knuckleheads » Mon May 30, 2016 6:10 am

Mets fans are pathetic, plain and simple. They are whiners when they lose and insecure when they win.

For those complaining of the (p)wussification of the game, please make a video using the following instructions and post it for the rest of us.

1. Go to you local batting cage.
2. Dial the speed to 100.
3. Strand in front of the pitch and let it hit you in the ribs.

Once you've done this, then we'll listen to your tough-guy bravado. Until then, you're just acting like Mets fans.

And regarding Utley, those who have followed his career closely can definitively say he wasn't trying to hurt another player. He was trying to help his team win by playing hard-nosed baseball following both the written rule, and the unwritten code.

If Syndergaard had hit Utley, he would have jogged to first, just like he's done every other time in his career after being hit. He's never charged the mound despite being among the league leaders in HBP every year.

Full Discloser...I have a team named The Utley Rule this year. Not because I am happy some kid got his leg broken, but because I've always admired Chase Utley for playing the game the way I think every player should; seriously, with full effort, and respect for himself, his team and his opponent.

MLB changed the rule not because Utley's slide was dirty, but because MLB had a bad rule.

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon May 30, 2016 10:39 am

knuckleheads wrote:Mets fans are pathetic, plain and simple. They are whiners when they lose and insecure when they win.

For those complaining of the (p)wussification of the game, please make a video using the following instructions and post it for the rest of us.

Once you've done this, then we'll listen to your tough-guy bravado. Until then, you're just acting like Mets fans.

And regarding Utley, those who have followed his career closely can definitively say he wasn't trying to hurt another player. He was trying to help his team win by playing hard-nosed baseball following both the written rule, and the unwritten code.

If Syndergaard had hit Utley, he would have jogged to first, just like he's done every other time in his career after being hit. He's never charged the mound despite being among the league leaders in HBP every year.

Full Discloser...I have a team named The Utley Rule this year. Not because I am happy some kid got his leg broken, but because I've always admired Chase Utley for playing the game the way I think every player should; seriously, with full effort, and respect for himself, his team and his opponent.

MLB changed the rule not because Utley's slide was dirty, but because MLB had a bad rule.
excellent points

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon May 30, 2016 11:59 am

knuckleheads wrote:
https://youtu.be/VbjEvG4CP70 :lol:
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson