MLB Opener In 2008?

Greg Ambrosius

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:25 am

Okay, I know it's a year away, but someone help me figure out the 2008 NFBC dates. Major League Baseball does not determine its schedule for 2008 until next November and I'm not sure when Opening Day will be in 2008. It's usually the first Sunday of April, but next year that is April 6th. Would MLB wait until that day to open the season or go on March 30th? They did open in March a few years ago.

The Final Four is in San Antonio April 6-8, 2008, so that means that March Madness is the weekend of March 22-23. I'd love to host the NFBC drafts that weekend, but it could be a quick turnaround if MLB does actually open on March 30th. ConExpo returns to Las Vegas the weekend of March 15th, so avoiding that show would be a blessing in disguise.

Anyway, I trust we'll host the drafts the weekend of March 22nd, but just wondering if anyone had any inside information or thoughts about the MLB opener in 2008. The MLB official I talked to wasn't sure which weekend they'd open at.

Thanks for any thoughts or insights. Again, I'm probably leaning towards the later date either way, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Potter

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Potter » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:51 am

Having the NFBC the same weekend of March Madness is a huge perk from my perspective. I doubt it add/subtracts from the # of participants oa. But maybe the numbers that go to Vegas vs another venue. I am not sure what the probelm would be with a quick turnaround as far as the players perspective. If it's not too hard from your side of things Greg, I would be very very much in favor of doing it Mar 22/23.

RODGER

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by RODGER » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:10 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Okay, I know it's a year away, but someone help me figure out the 2008 NFBC dates. Greg--

I can all but guarantee you that the 2008 MLB season will open on Monday March 31st.

If they were to wait until the following week, then they would be forced to schedule World Series Games 6 & 7 in the month of November.

I can tell you that many people in the major league offices were quite unhappy when the Series extended into November back in 2001, and they do not want to ever see that happen again.

Unless there has been a huge change of opinion in their offices during the last six years, they will almost certainly open on 3/31/2008, close the season on 9/28/2008 and begin the World Series on 10/18/2008.
“The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.”
——Thomas Paine

Vander

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Vander » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:26 am

I would think they will start march 30 also, but would suggest doing the draft march 22 anyway. Closer to the start of the season is always better and I have been suggesting that all along anyway. It's good for you too. It allows 1 more week to recruit new players to expand again next year. Some people don't start looking at this stuff till March then can't get it all done (travel arrangements) by mid March. This gives them 1 more week to plan also. Pushing the draft back 1 week is good for us and good for you.

Nevadaman

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Nevadaman » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Agreed on all the above points, plus this one: I like the draft closer to Opening Day so our information is better having seen one extra week of Spring Training to help decide on injuries, positional battles, etc.

Big Mac Attack

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Big Mac Attack » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:13 am

Agree with the 22nd. I have a couple of family birthdays (including my own on the 17th) during the 15-17 timeframe. Although I have enjoyed spending those days at the NFBC for the past few years, the family never seems too thrilled with the choice.

Aside from my superficial reasons, I also like the drafts as close to the season as possible. Nothing like a freak injury in the final few spring games to get your season rolling.

Vander

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Vander » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:39 am

Originally posted by Nevadaman:

Agreed on all the above points, plus this one: I like the draft closer to Opening Day so our information is better having seen one extra week of Spring Training to help decide on injuries, positional battles, etc. Agreed comepletly.

Edwards Kings

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:44 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

The Final Four is in San Antonio April 6-8, 2008, so that means that March Madness is the weekend of March 22-23. I'd love to host the NFBC drafts that weekend, but it could be a quick turnaround if MLB does actually open on March 30th. ConExpo returns to Las Vegas the weekend of March 15th, so avoiding that show would be a blessing in disguise.Having the weekend of March Madness has always been a draw for you I think (plus I like people thinking about basketball when they should be thinking about baseball!). I do not have the MLB insight the others do, but will the "quick turnaround" put a big strain on your crew (i.e. entering all of the rosters)? Maybe some of us can help. There always seems to be one or two in a league who do not wait for the rosters to be uploaded by the web service. Maybe some volunteers can forward the some of the league rosters to your group? It is always easier to edit than create.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:17 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

The Final Four is in San Antonio April 6-8, 2008, so that means that March Madness is the weekend of March 22-23. I'd love to host the NFBC drafts that weekend, but it could be a quick turnaround if MLB does actually open on March 30th. ConExpo returns to Las Vegas the weekend of March 15th, so avoiding that show would be a blessing in disguise.Having the weekend of March Madness has always been a draw for you I think (plus I like people thinking about basketball when they should be thinking about baseball!). I do not have the MLB insight the others do, but will the "quick turnaround" put a big strain on your crew (i.e. entering all of the rosters)? Maybe some of us can help. There always seems to be one or two in a league who do not wait for the rosters to be uploaded by the web service. Maybe some volunteers can forward the some of the league rosters to your group? It is always easier to edit than create.
[/QUOTE]It will be a strain, but obviously we can get it done in time for everyone to set their lineups before Opening Day. We need to enter these ourselves as we put the code numbers for each player into our Excel documents, which allows STATS to flow them right into their system. We'll have our hands full, but it has to be done. Count on March 22nd, 2008 and be ready for some fun.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Vander

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Vander » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:56 am

Thanks Greg. I know it may be difficult, but as some others have said, it's much better for us. It eliminates 1 week of risk of injury as well as we get further updates. I've always thought it would really be a shame if someones season was essentially over before it starts. What if you picked D. Lee last year and he broke his wrist before the season started? I know the risk is the same for everyone and injuries are part of the game. I just hate to see that sort of thing happen even before the first pitch of the real season.

Mr Dalrae

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Mr Dalrae » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:56 am

Thank you Greg.I agree with everything Vander stated.The closer to the start of the season to draft the better.
DAVID GEISINGER

Hobo Zeke

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Hobo Zeke » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:02 am

Will there be time for satellite leagues after the Main Event?

I like to put what I learn at the Main Event to use in a satellite league when I get home! ;)

Greg Ambrosius

MLB Opener In 2008?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:25 am

Originally posted by Hobo Zeke:

Will there be time for satellite leagues after the Main Event?

I like to put what I learn at the Main Event to use in a satellite league when I get home! ;) that will be tough to do. I'm sure we can figure something out, but probably Tuesday and Wednesday after the Draft at the most.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius