Opening Day Is Here!! Let The Games Begin

Greg Ambrosius

Opening Day Is Here!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Damn, I just saw that there's only 50 days until Opening Day of the MLB season. Do you know where your Cheat Sheets are? :lol:

Okay, if I knew how to load a picture I'd put one of Mookie Betts in here. He's the best player today wearing No. 50 and he's going at the beginning of the second round in the NFBC. Someone post Mookie for me and let's get this Countdown going. I assign this thread to anyone who can post pictures and find a player of note wearing 1 through 50. Who's up for the job?

Anyway, let the fun begin. Keep it R rated or lower. Let's see No. 50 and let's start getting serious about the season ahead. Wow, I better start buying some new jerseys for the live drafts. All of my Brewer jerseys are outdated, shipping to other teams. And I don't know anyone on our current roster!! :mrgreen: Crazy.

Let the Games Begin. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

BK METS

Re: 50 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by BK METS » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:12 pm

MOOKIE!!!! 50 Days until Opening Day!!
Attachments
mookie.jpg
mookie.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 7478 times

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:00 pm

Great thread to start, Greg! I was wondering if we'd get a countdown discussion going. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the one that Glenn Lowy ran last year. It was the first thing I checked out each morning and also came with great stories behind each player. Kudos again to Glenn.

Unless someone wants to take full control of this thread this year, perhaps it can be a group effort. Each day can be a different current player or players that anyone can post leading to any fantasy related discussion. I realize this was a MASSIVE undertaking for Glenn. I already peeked ahead tomorrow which features 2 top 10 pitchers. Both from the same city.

As far as Mookie, the only thing that I dislike about him is that he's not roaming the OF with the Phillies. As much as I like the haul they got from Texas for Hamels, I would have been happy with a 1 for 1 deal landing only Betts. Speed and power with a solid batting average, what is there not to like? It will cost you on draft day, however, choosing between him or guys like Pollock, McCutchen or Marte.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Philly High Hopes wrote:Great thread to start, Greg! I was wondering if we'd get a countdown discussion going. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the one that Glenn Lowy ran last year. It was the first thing I checked out each morning and also came with great stories behind each player. Kudos again to Glenn.

Unless someone wants to take full control of this thread this year, perhaps it can be a group effort. Each day can be a different current player or players that anyone can post leading to any fantasy related discussion. I realize this was a MASSIVE undertaking for Glenn. I already peeked ahead tomorrow which features 2 top 10 pitchers. Both from the same city.

As far as Mookie, the only thing that I dislike about him is that he's not roaming the OF with the Phillies. As much as I like the haul they got from Texas for Hamels, I would have been happy with a 1 for 1 deal landing only Betts. Speed and power with a solid batting average, what is there not to like? It will cost you on draft day, however, choosing between him or guys like Pollock, McCutchen or Marte.
That's a great idea. I'd love to see a group involvement here. Nobody can top what Glenn did last year, but maybe many hands can be better than one.

I'm hopeful that a Cubs' fan will take the lead tomorrow with No. 49. They have a good pitcher who wears that number. ;) Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philly High Hopes

Re: Countdown to Opening Day!

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:48 am

OK, I'll kick things off today. 49 days until Opening Day!
Arrieta.jpg
Arrieta.jpg (9.85 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
Jake Arrieta - 22-6, 1.77, 0.86, 236
2015 NY Cy Young
Current ADP - 21
Talk about taking a huge leap forward last year. How badly could the Orioles use Arrieta in their lineup? And for Feldman and Clevenger. Their loss is the Cubs gain. Arrieta is the 3rd pitcher off the board currently, just in front of another #49 ...

Sale.jpg
Sale.jpg (8.03 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
Chris Sale - 13-11, 3.41, 1.09, 274
Current ADP - 26
Sale bested his previous strikeout high by 49, but it was at the expense of a career worst ERA. Currently the 4th pitcher off the board in most leagues, Sale will provide big strikeout totals. Question still remains as to when or if his throwing motion will lead to injury.

Other #49s:
Julio Teheran - ADP 175, A middle rotation fantasy arm sitting at the top of the Braves young rotation.
Yovani Gallardo - ADP 395, One of the top unsigned free agents along with Fowler and Desmond. Rumored to be heading to Baltimore. Likely undrafted in Cutline and Rotowire Online leagues and an endgame SP in the Main Event.
Last edited by Philly High Hopes on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Countdown to Opening Day!

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:13 am

Philly High Hopes wrote:OK, I'll kick things off today. 49 days until Opening Day!
Arrieta.jpg
Jake Arrieta - 22-6, 1.77, 0.86, 236
2015 NY Cy Young
Current ADP - 21
Talk about taking a huge leap forward last year. How badly could the Orioles use Arrieta in their lineup? And for Feldman and Clevenger. Their loss is the Cubs gain. Arrieta is the 3rd pitcher off the board currently, just in front of another #49 ...

Sale.jpg
Chris Sale - 13-11, 3.41, 1.09, 2.74
Current ADP - 26
Sale bested his previous strikeout high by 49, but it was at the expense of a career worst ERA. Currently the 4th pitcher off the board in most leagues, Sale will provide big strikeout totals. Question still remains as to when or if his throwing motion will lead to injury.

Other #49s:
Julio Teheran - ADP 175, A middle rotation fantasy arm sitting at the top of the Braves young rotation.
Yovani Gallardo - ADP 395, One of the top unsigned free agents along with Fowler and Desmond. Rumored to be heading to Baltimore. Likely undrafted in Cutline and Rotowire Online leagues and an endgame SP in the Main Event.
Nicely done!! :D NOW ONLY 49 DAYS UNTIL OPENING DAY!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:37 pm

BK METS wrote:MOOKIE!!!! 50 Days until Opening Day!!
jeebus you post a picture of him and it causes him to drive his golf cart into the lake :D

Doctor Who

Re: 49 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:19 am

48 Days until Opening Day. I think we can all agree this is the best 48 playing right now. Buuuuuuut, since we can't appease Lowry this early, I'll go with the next best thing. And lets face it, we all know that this 48 is better in reality to watch!

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 am

Jacob deGrom? Over Colby Lewis? Really?

Here's some other stuff I had cued up:

Jacob deGrom – 14-8, 2.54, 0.98, 205
Current ADP – 37
In just his second major league season, deGrom has jumped to the fringes of being a Top 10 starting pitcher. He joins Matt Harvey (ADP – 35) and Noah Syndergaard (ADP – 47) to make up what is arguably the best trio of pitchers in baseball.

Other #48s:
Andrew Miller – ADP 146, One of the most dominant closers in 2015 with 36 saves and 100 Ks. While saves may be hard to come by in 2016 with the addition of Chapman, the peripheral numbers should still be elite.
Justin Bour – ADP 250, A surprise FAAB pickup from last year that netted owners 23 home runs. How much can he benefit in 2016 with the fence adjustment in Miami?
Pablo Sandoval – 288, Could the Giants have ever predicted that Matt Duffy would outperform Sandoval, and by such a wide margin? At a savings of more than $17 million no less.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:12 am

While trying to keep things on current players with fantasy relevance, this recently retired #48 should get a mention for a very solid career. He'd never blow you away with his numbers, but you could normally count on 290-22-80 and throw in 15-20 SBs during his prime. 15 years of reliable fantasy production.
Hunter.jpg
Hunter.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 7138 times

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 48 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:23 am

VERY NICE GUYS!! I like 'em all.

NOW ONLY 48 DAYS UNTIL OPENING DAY!! :D :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philly High Hopes

Re: 48 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:32 am

47 days until Opening Day!
Cueto.jpg
Cueto.jpg (7.42 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
Johnny Cueto – 11-13, 3.44, 1.13, 176
Current ADP – 74
Cueto saw a pretty steep drop off from his 2014 season where he won 20 games, struck out 242, and held a 2.24 ERA and 0.96 WHIP. He returns to the National League in a pitcher’s park and currently sits as the 26th pitcher off the board.

Other #47s:

Francisco Liriano – ADP – 125, Written off after 2012, has responded with 3 solid seasons in a row.
Gio Gonzalez – ADP – 196, Did the Nats truly think Gio for Yelich was a fair offer?
Howie Kendrick – ADP – 258, Can somebody tell me why the Dodgers signed Utley?
Miguel Montero – ADP – 240, It will be interesting to see how much time, if at all, Schwarber sees at C.
Trevor Bauer – ADP – 290, Former first round pick sitting behind the Indians Big 3.

Philly High Hopes

Re: 47 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:47 am

46 days until Opening Day!
Kimbrel.jpg
Kimbrel.jpg (6.35 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Craig Kimbrel
Current ADP - 69

Kimbrel makes up a group of 4 closers that have separated themselves to the top of draft lists, all within 5 ADP spots of each other:

Davis - 65
Chapman - 67
Kimbrel - 69
Jansen - 70

How does everyone rank the 4? My current preference is Kimbrel, Jansen, Davis, Chapman.

Philly High Hopes

Re: 46 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:33 pm

45 days until Opening Day!
Cole.jpg
Cole.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 6979 times
Gerrit Cole - 19-8, 2.60, 1.09, 202
Current ADP - 34

Philly High Hopes

Re: 46 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:10 pm

44 days until Opening Day!
Goldschmidt.jpg
Goldschmidt.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
Paul Goldschmidt - 321-103-33-110-21
ADP - 2

Which one do you take?
Goldschmidt Harper.jpg
Goldschmidt Harper.jpg (8.66 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
And not a bad consolation prize …
Rizzo.jpg
Rizzo.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
Anthony Rizzo – 278-94-31-101-17
ADP - 11

Other #44s:
Trevor Rosenthal , ADP 89
A.J. Ramos, ADP 144
Mike Leake, ADP 271
Daniel Norris, ADP 299
Kyle Gibson, ADP 342

Edwards Kings

Re: 44 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:20 am

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:58 am

Back in the day, most players did not have high-numbered jerseys. A lot of stars wore single digits. Pitchers almost always had double digits, in an effort to make them look larger. A tradition that, for the most part, has stood the test of time.
Don Drysdale's number '53', considered the highest for 'regular' players.
I enjoyed keeping up with the home run races of the 60's. This was when 40 home runs were only accomplished by the elite or strong men of baseball.
Willie McCovey, also wore number 44. I would root for both Aaron and McCovey to match their uniform numbers in homers.
Aaron matched his number four times. Even had the temerity to exceed 44 twice.
McCovey hit his number once, exceeding it once also.
Despite being the All-time leading home run hitter in many hearts and minds, Aaron never hit 50 homers in one season.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Image

Burt "Happy" Hooten.

Hooten was drafted in the 1st RD by the Cubs in the June 1971 supplemental draft; he made his Major League Debut just days later on June 17, 1971 against the Cardinals.

He was then sent to the minors for the only time in his career.

The Cubs called Burt back up in September after he went 7-4 with a 1.68era with the AAA team.

In his two starts that fall with the Cubs, Burt was 2-0 with two complete games, including a shutout.

In his first start of 1972,the fourth of his career, Hooten threw a No-Hitter against the Phillies.

He faced Hank Aaron 8 times. He walked him 3 times and retired Hank without allowing a hit the other 5 times.

Over his 15 year career, Hooten was 151-136 with a 3.38era
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:03 am

Beeg Boy
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Re: 43 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:55 am

Just a synopsis for Rico Carty....

Rico Carty was just a joy with a bat in his hands.
Carty was one of those steady players that baseball fans appreciate. You know, the type of guy who performs well every year, but will never make the Hall of Fame.
Bernie Williams
Vada Pinson
Dwight Evans
Tony Olivo
Adrian Gonzalez
Matt Carpenter
Felipe Alou
Bobby Grich
Trammel/Whitaker

These type of players are more appreciated by their hometown fans than selection commitees.

Carty carried a big bat and a small glove. He ws tried at catcher, first base, third base, and the outfield during his career. Finally ending his career at the position that was made for him, the DH.
Carty's personality was as big as his bat.
He clashed with Hank Aaron resuting in an altercation. He was soon traded.
Later, he clashed with Ron Santo. Again, traded.

During his long career, he hit double digit homers 13 times. His career batting average, .299
He missed 1968 with tuberculosis. Came back in '69 and helped lead the Braves to a division Championship.
Carty hit the most home runs of his career at age 38, 31.
At age 39, he retired.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:32 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Image

Beeg Boy

Most fans remember 214 game winner Rick Reuschel, but Rick's older brother Paul also pitched in the big leagues.

Paul won 16 games during his career, including 12 with the Cubs from 1975-1978

As you can see, Paul wore number 43....
The player that wore number 43 with the Cubs before Reuschel???

Rico Carty in 1973
(I couldn't find a good pic of Carty in a Cubs jersey)

As Dan said, Carty was an excellent player, but versus Paul Reuschel in his career he was 0-3.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm so glad we started this Countdown to Opening Day thread. When I posted this with 50 days to go, I thought I was being progressive. But now I just searched for the Countdown and I found the thread that Glenn Lowy did in 2011-12 for the NFBC Countdown. He started with photos from 99 days to Draft Day all the way down to 1 day. This is an amazing thread and a hell of an effort by Mr. Lowy. I think he was trying to make a name for himself with everyone as a newbie!! :lol:

Check this one out:

http://nfbcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... tdown+Page

Nice job Mr. Glenn. Oh, and we're 200 days away from the start of the NFL season. When we get to 99 days away maybe you can start that Countdown thread on the NFFC boards!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:03 pm

How hot was/is Erin Andrews? It's worth clicking back to Glen's thread, if only to catch a few pics of E.A. on the first page.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:48 am

Everyone knows who #42 is.

But for change of pace, here is a former Brave, Rick Mahler, who may have been known more for being pretty ugly (had a couple of good years pitching too in the day with 90+ heat was not required as his career K/9 was 4.4). Led the league in Hits Allowed FOUR times. Two of those years he also led the league in Games Started at 39. One of those years he won 17, the other lost 18.

Hit one homerun...off Aljandro Pena. Wonder if Pena still remembers that one?
Charles Krauthammer

Daveclum

Re: 42 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Daveclum » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:42 am

Seem to remember Mahler was a fantastic opening day pitcher.