Half-Slate of Games

knuckleheads

Half-Slate of Games

Post by knuckleheads » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:54 am

The second day of the season, half-slate-of-games always kills me. It's like a false start to the season. That being said, it is nothing compared to the worst sports day of the year that is the day after the All-Star game, when there are exactly zero sports to divert our attention.

Thinking ahead, Greg and Tom, what do you guys think of a Mid-Season Satellite League that drafts on Wednesday, July 15 and runs through the end of the season? I suggest the following parameters:

No Sports Day League
15 - Teams
$500 Entry
Draft 9 p.m. Est on Wednesday, July 15, 2015.

Interested:
David Rimel

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Half-Slate of Games

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:01 am

knuckleheads wrote:The second day of the season, half-slate-of-games always kills me. It's like a false start to the season. That being said, it is nothing compared to the worst sports day of the year that is the day after the All-Star game, when there are exactly zero sports to divert our attention.

Thinking ahead, Greg and Tom, what do you guys think of a Mid-Season Satellite League that drafts on Wednesday, July 15 and runs through the end of the season? I suggest the following parameters:

No Sports Day League
15 - Teams
$500 Entry
Draft 9 p.m. Est on Wednesday, July 15, 2015.

Interested:
David Rimel
Yeah, at one time we filled a half dozen or so mid-season leagues, but we've done a poor job of planning ahead and getting them on Registration in recent years. Let me see if I can make this more of a priority for 2015 and schedule a slate of mid-season games for drafts on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and maybe even Thursday (no games that day last year). Thanks for the suggestion.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:34 pm

And now a game less with the Cubs/Cards cancelled already :(

The two start mon-thur for hitters for those teams probably just became a one start week.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:02 pm

mattjb wrote:And now a game less with the Cubs/Cards cancelled already :(

The two start mon-thur for hitters for those teams probably just became a one start week.
Rain and sub-freezing winds in Chicago...let me guess...the ivy has not yet turned green! Yike!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
mattjb wrote:And now a game less with the Cubs/Cards cancelled already :(

Rain and sub-freezing winds in Chicago...let me guess...the ivy has not yet turned green! Yike!
Thankfully Cubs fans tonight can now piss in solo cups in the comfort of their own home.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:16 pm

knuckleheads wrote:The second day of the season, half-slate-of-games always kills me. It's like a false start to the season.
Interested:
David Rimel
It's unbelievable that Major League Baseball didn't load up today with games from 1 pm ET to 1 am ET. They just don't know how to dominate the airwaves like the NFL does. I mean, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday should be filled with games around the clock to let everyone know that Major League Baseball is back. Instead, nothing on Tuesday afternoon as we had Opening Day yesterday and now the hoopla has fizzled out. Amazing. Stupid. :roll: I want baseball on the airwaves.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
knuckleheads wrote:The second day of the season, half-slate-of-games always kills me. It's like a false start to the season.
Interested:
David Rimel
It's unbelievable that Major League Baseball didn't load up today with games from 1 pm ET to 1 am ET. They just don't know how to dominate the airwaves like the NFL does. I mean, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday should be filled with games around the clock to let everyone know that Major League Baseball is back. Instead, nothing on Tuesday afternoon as we had Opening Day yesterday and now the hoopla has fizzled out. Amazing. Stupid. :roll: I want baseball on the airwaves.
Totally agree. No team needs an off-day after one game. Ridiculous. Save them for when they're really needed.

Also, why isn't Opening Day a national holiday? We need to get this fixed. :D

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Interested:
David Rimel
Way agree.
I don't even know why they schedule like this. To make Opening Day seem even a little more special?
If so, it is a stupid thought.
Other teams should have opened at 1pm, est today.
It really makes no sense whatsoever.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:59 pm

They keep today open for the home opener rainout possibility. There isn't enough domes/warm weather teams to make the schedule work these first few weeks

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:00 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Interested:
David Rimel
Totally agree. No team needs an off-day after one game. Ridiculous. Save them for when they're really needed.

Mike
They own the MLB Network and they should have had Opening Day celebrations all day Monday and Tuesday on MLB Network. It's ridiculous what they're showing on there today. Why weren't there four sets of Opening Days today at 1 pm ET, 4 pm ET, 7 pm ET and 10 pm ET? These last two days should have been celebrations across the country on MLB Network. College basketball has ended and MLB should have grabbed center stage by the horns and rode it through the week.

Very frustrating and I blame a lack of leadership here. Hopefully Manfred figures out what Bud was missing all these years in a hurry.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Bronx Yankees wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Mike
They own the MLB Network and they should have had Opening Day celebrations all day Monday and Tuesday on MLB Network. It's ridiculous what they're showing on there today. Why weren't there four sets of Opening Days today at 1 pm ET, 4 pm ET, 7 pm ET and 10 pm ET? These last two days should have been celebrations across the country on MLB Network. College basketball has ended and MLB should have grabbed center stage by the horns and rode it through the week.

Very frustrating and I blame a lack of leadership here. Hopefully Manfred figures out what Bud was missing all these years in a hurry.
There are several smaller ancillary reasons why this doesn't happen, but the one major single reason that dominates the outcome is the way broadcast contracts are handled with MLB.

The NFL negotiates all broadcast TV contracts as a whole, and all the money is shared throughout the league.

MLB teams negotiate TV contracts individually; many times with themselves as they own the network that they are "negotiating" with.
All of these teams and local networks are more interested in making money for their team and themselves (as they should be...) than they are about doing something collectively good for the league.......
That is if you think that broadcasting games all day long on Opening Week is something good thing for the league.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:51 pm

Last edited by Deadheadz on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 pm

russ- have the cubs "pissed off" their fans this year? when asked what they could do to quit lying to their fans- crane kennedy replied- piss on 'em!