Fantasy Tip-Catchers

Yellow Ledbetters

Fantasy Tip-Catchers

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Greg has asked me to contribute more of my knowledge to the message boards related to baseball. I've done this with success for 10 years and will be glad to help.

Today's tip is to not be afraid to take two top 12 catchers.

Catchers are often overlooked commodities. In a 15 team league 30 catchers are drafted. Many teams have catching platoons. Having two catchers who are not BA drains can be a huge advantage. Consider taking a McCann and pairing with a Yan Gomes. You won't have to go too early and the extra counting stats you get from them as opposed to taking the 25th-30th catcher outweighs the opportunity costs of the draft picks. Especially with OF as deep as it is this year.

Gekko

Re: Fantasy Tip-Catchers

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:52 pm

why take yan gomes when there are at least 2 catchers being drafted at least 4 rounds later that could easily surpass his value? i'll give you mccann as he could swat upper 20 hr this year

swampass

Post by swampass » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:09 pm

i find Catcher to be a bit of a mirage this year. the list seems good but when you look closer i think you'll find alot of warts, injury concerns, and playing time issues.

mccann is interesting for power and perhaps rbi but a 233 avg is going to kill you, especially with all of his abs. thats also his 2nd 230 season in the last 3. i like him for power this year but unless he can start driving the ball away from the shift he is in due for another sub 240 season.

can mesaraco do it again? how will gattis adjust to the AL? is yadier done being above avg on O? whats the deal with weiters' injury and rosario's pt? is grandal really going to get to play over aj ellis and his elite D? thats just some of the better guys.

i think gomes is going to cost you on draft day but i think he could end the season as the #1 catcher. of course the indians offense will need to find their stride this year, but they have some nice pieces so the time could be right.

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Gekko wrote:why take yan gomes when there are at least 2 catchers being drafted at least 4 rounds later that could easily surpass his value? i'll give you mccann as he could swat upper 20 hr this year
Because I meant Wilson Ramos and typed Yan Gomes. My bad.

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Tonight I went even earlier than normal and got a Lucroy (who is undervalued due to injury) and Molina (10th)

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:40 am

Wonder how much rope the Braves give Bethacourt (sp?) before handing the reins to AJP? From what I understand they love the kids defense and handling of pitchers and with this year already down the tubes likely they should be patient.

With the Braves who knows.

The real question is with 450 AB can Bethacourt create positive value to a fantasy team as a #2 catcher.

duesman24

Post by duesman24 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 pm

Catchers do get hurt much easier then other position players. With that I agree with outfield so deep finding 2 catchers u like can really add to your chances of winning. :D
"Long Live the King!"
Richard DiMondo

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Don't pick Carlos Ruiz.

Tip of the day.