-21 Here Today; When Does Baseball Start?

Greg Ambrosius

-21 Here Today; When Does Baseball Start?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 am

When I got into my car this morning it was -21 degrees. With the wind chill today it's -35 to -45. When is Opening Day again? :o

This weather is insane and we've had winter weather for six weeks already. And I know we're not alone here in Wisconsin. The East Coast has been socked with snow and cold. Heck, it's colder today in Atlanta than it is in Anchorage, Alaska. This is crazy. It's time for this cold weather to go away and time for pitchers and catchers to report. Unfortunately, we're still 6+ weeks away from that happening.

Are you sick of winter yet? What's the temp in your area today? Vent your Winter Blues here and let's hope that baseball starts soon. I need to see green grass again. How about you?
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

judydon

Re: -21 Here Today; When Does Baseball Start?

Post by judydon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:40 am

It is 73 here at Lakeland, FL right now. We still have a few vacancies, don't know why anyone would choose to live in that.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:58 am

In Philly yesterday, there was 8 inches of snow on the ground and ice everywhere as it dropped into single digits.

This morning it was 60 and pouring rain.

By tonight, it is dropping down to 7.

Tomorrow's high is 14.

Saturday's high is forecasted for 66.

WTF.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:12 am

Hells Satans wrote:In Philly yesterday, there was 8 inches of snow on the ground and ice everywhere as it dropped into single digits.

This morning it was 60 and pouring rain.

By tonight, it is dropping down to 7.

Tomorrow's high is 14.

Saturday's high is forecasted for 66.

WTF.
Now that is weirder than we have. That's downright crazy. Yeah, I think everyone warms up by the weekend, if we can make it that long.

Don, you are right: Why would anyone CHOOSE to live up here???
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:16 pm

I lived in Rhode Island for 20 years. After college, I didn't want to deal with the cold and bipolar weather anymore. I packed one suitcase, and moved to Miami Beach, Florida. Now 6 years later, "I'm married with children." Even though I left everything and everybody behind in RI, I have never regret moving to sunny Florida. Heck, I spent yesterday in the pool with the kids while watching the Green Bay game. Life is good.

Krys
Last edited by ikenbaseball on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:44 pm

ikenbaseball wrote:I lived in Rhode Island for 20 years. After College, I didn't want to deal with the cold and bipolar weather anymore. I packed one suitcase, and moved to Miami Beach, Florida. Now 6 years later, "I'm married with children." Even though I left everything and everybody behind in RI, I have never regret moving to sunny florida. Heck, I spent yesterday in the pool with the kids while watching the Green Bay game. Life is good.

Krys
Next time you get a chance, have a Café Cubano and a Media Noché sandwich for me so I can live vicariously through you, brother.

I miss SoBe, baby!
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:34 pm

The nice thing about Colorado is we get every kind of weather here, sometimes all in one day.

the icon

Post by the icon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:06 pm

They closed the Honda factory o work at for cold gonna be negative 17 tonight

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

sounds like a line from a Springsteen song

Donnie Baseball

Post by Donnie Baseball » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Minus 25 last night and minus 45 windchill here in Minnesota. I think it is more proof of global warming. What do you think? Where is Algore and his private jet when we need him to get us south somewhere!!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Yah Mule wrote:The nice thing about Colorado is we get every kind of weather here, sometimes all in one day.
Where in Colorado?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:The nice thing about Colorado is we get every kind of weather here, sometimes all in one day.
Where in Colorado?
I moved to Greeley last March, Dan. I noticed that you were from Grand Junction the other day. One of my best friends grew up there.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 am

This is THE WINTER FROM HELL!!!! :evil: :evil:

No, it wasn't -21 this morning in beautiful Iola, Wisconsin. It was ONLY -11. And it's going to be below zero for the next four days as THREE DIFFERENT ARCTIC BLASTS are headed this way. I'm not kidding you. Damn, I'm tired of this winter.

But actually this post is for Terry Haney because he gets a chuckle out of hearing me bitch about raking the snow off my roof. Terry, I was back up there over the weekend trying to take 2+ feet of snow off my roof before it caved in through my living room ceiling. Unfortunately, there's a sheet of ice about a foot into this snow pile and then the shingles are all iced over. The Commish was close to falling off the roof and possibly going on the DL Sunday and yesterday, but I survived!!

Terry's laughing his ass off right now, I know it. :lol:

Raking your roof when the wind chill is below zero. Why do I live here again? Oh yeah, for the Packers. Enough of this.

Come on, let's see some spring weather and baseball. I'm ready for it. I hope you are too. Now, back to raking my roof tonight.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:15 pm

days until pitchers and catcher report (well at least for Diamondbacks and Dodgers)
but there are already players doing some work in our 70 degrees of sunshine :D

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:This is THE WINTER FROM HELL!!!! :evil: :evil:

No, it wasn't -21 this morning in beautiful Iola, Wisconsin. It was ONLY -11. And it's going to be below zero for the next four days as THREE DIFFERENT ARCTIC BLASTS are headed this way. I'm not kidding you. Damn, I'm tired of this winter.

But actually this post is for Terry Haney because he gets a chuckle out of hearing me bitch about raking the snow off my roof. Terry, I was back up there over the weekend trying to take 2+ feet of snow off my roof before it caved in through my living room ceiling. Unfortunately, there's a sheet of ice about a foot into this snow pile and then the shingles are all iced over. The Commish was close to falling off the roof and possibly going on the DL Sunday and yesterday, but I survived!!

Terry's laughing his ass off right now, I know it. :lol:

Raking your roof when the wind chill is below zero. Why do I live here again? Oh yeah, for the Packers. Enough of this.

Come on, let's see some spring weather and baseball. I'm ready for it. I hope you are too. Now, back to raking my roof tonight.
Terry and I, both :lol:

We have a-frame roofs here. Some exaggerated so we don't have to do what you annually do. I've livedin Colorado for over 40 years, never seen anybody rake their roofs. The thought of that makes me feel better somehow. :D
Here, we have had two days of 40 degrees since the middle of November. The east side of the Rockies is enjoying balmy weather like what was seen during the Bronco game.
Here, it is wait it out till spring and hope for the best.
Rake your roof?! :o :cry: :lol:
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

CA Dreamin

Post by CA Dreamin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:22 pm

Why don't you all move out here to California. It's sunny and 76 degrees.

orangemen90

Post by orangemen90 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:45 pm

come on down to fort lauderdale.. its 65...

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:52 pm

CA Dreamin wrote:Why don't you all move out here to California. It's sunny and 76 degrees.
Yeah, but we are running out of water....

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:56 pm

I'll take the Mid-West and it's Seasons; there's nothing like Spring weather once you've dealt with Winter, and love the cooler Fall weather after dealing with the Summer heat.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:I'll take the Mid-West and it's Seasons; there's nothing like Spring weather once you've dealt with Winter, and love the cooler Fall weather after dealing with the Summer heat.
That's what I thought when I first moved to CA ... after a few years I realized that I was badly mistaken. :)

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Steel Lugnuts wrote:I'll take the Mid-West and it's Seasons; there's nothing like Spring weather once you've dealt with Winter, and love the cooler Fall weather after dealing with the Summer heat.
That's what I thought when I first moved to CA ... after a few years I realized that I was badly mistaken. :)
Yeah, I suppose you are correct, especially as we age...maybe I'm still trying to talk myself into why I deal with the cold winters here in Chicago! lol

I must say, I do think us that deal with the cold winters enjoy the spring weather more so than others do.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:
Yeah, I suppose you are correct, especially as we age...maybe I'm still trying to talk myself into why I deal with the cold winters here in Chicago! lol

I must say, I do think us that deal with the cold winters enjoy the spring weather more so than others do.
You're right about that, there's a burst of energy in Chicago when Spring arrives that is missing here. And it's a great town, but no desire to visit in the Winters anymore.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:01 pm

This weather is so bad this winter across most of this country that I can't believe there isn't a single soul here who wouldn't want to go to Las Vegas in March to draft!! Those late March drafts in a place where the sun shines all day can't come soon enough for me.

I know we're not the only ones suffering this winter. The East Coast has been brutal. Hell, Georgia and North Carolina and the DC area have been hard hit. The Midwest has just been in one cold front all year, followed by more snow. I don't think we've been above freezing since the New Year started and we just got another 7 inches of snow today. It's amazing.

I saw an email from our CEO in Northbrook, Illinois who said today's storm has pushed Chicago to 70+ inches of snow this winter, the 3rd highest total in city history. Last year Chicago had 6 inches of snow and I think the city had gone 360+ days without any snow. What a change from a year ago.

I know we have 50+ inches here, which is about what Philadelphia has on the ground. This can't continue much longer, but if it does then we have to host live drafts in Vegas earlier each year!!! I can't make it through another month of this. Can you? :twisted:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:23 am