BK METS

Re: The Contract League 2014 (MLBC) - SOLD OUT

Post by BK METS » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Gekko wrote:then again,

Nope :lol: ;)

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:41 pm

i'd like to think our effort was a mix of the three movies posted. we went small ball, yet we had some expensive players with an overall chaotic draft plan :twisted:

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Gekko wrote:i'd like to think our effort was a mix of the three movies posted. we went small ball, yet we had some expensive players with an overall chaotic draft plan :twisted:

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:22 am

I hear there were some real hotheads in the auction last night. LOL
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 am

The Mighty Men wrote:I hear there were some real hotheads in the auction last night. LOL
Like a Wild West shootout. :D

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:39 am

KJ Duke wrote:
The Mighty Men wrote:I hear there were some real hotheads in the auction last night. LOL
Like a Wild West shootout. :D
KJ - thanks again for running the league. Great concept and allows for many different strategies. Looking forward to how this plays out.

Since this was my first post draft auction, can I ask if last nights shootout was out of the norm? I've been told in this league anything goes!

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:15 am

In the past, there has been a lot more talent in the pool after the draft. It led to multiple players getting pickup for more than $200. With less talent and no one willing to price enforce, it looked like it was a ho-hum free agent period.

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 am

CC's Desperados wrote:In the past, there has been a lot more talent in the pool after the draft. It led to multiple players getting pickup for more than $200. With less talent and no one willing to price enforce, it looked like it was a ho-hum free agent period.

Well you missed the fun. Who would of thought babe ruth, Ted Williams Chipper jones and some japenese minor leaguerers would be key pickups in the auction.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:37 am

We don't have a rule of drafting only live bodies.

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:45 am

CC's Desperados wrote:We don't have a rule of drafting only live bodies.

NOt really sure if Babe or Ted were ever nominated. but chipper will clark, and a bunch of japenese guys no one has ever heard were.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 am

CC's Desperados wrote:In the past, there has been a lot more talent in the pool after the draft. It led to multiple players getting pickup for more than $200. With less talent and no one willing to price enforce, it looked like it was a ho-hum free agent period.
I was surprised that Adam Dunn went for pennies on the dollar

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 am

Gekko wrote:
His biggest supporter over the years didn't show up for the auction so 60 or 80 on part time dh with .190 avg. not really surprized

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:00 am

Bama wrote:
Gekko wrote:
His biggest supporter over the years didn't show up for the auction so 60 or 80 on part time dh with .190 avg. not really surprized
Haha! Is that Shawn?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:05 am

You can only have a war if two want to fight. I'm all DUNN with low average power with high K rates.

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 am

CC's Desperados wrote:You can only have a war if two want to fight. I'm all DUNN with low average power with high K rates.

Well see about that when it comes nut-cutting time, didnt think old dogs learned new tricks.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:13 am

So I woke up this morning for the first time in 5 days without this draft to dominate my thoughts. I miss it already. This is my 3rd time participating in the MLBC and once again it didn't disappoint. What a great concept and what a great draft experience.

The format itself, the brainchild of resident insane genius of coming up with new ideas, KJ Duke, already lends itself to a unique and fun experience. However the regular annual participants of this draft just help make it the most fun draft of the year. Doughy named all the participants this year in his forum and he was right, they are all great to draft with in any format and any league. However, get them all together for this draft, and wow, what a blast.

From seeing a $5 AA player drafted BEFORE a $250 annual All-Star, to seeing someone draft Will Clark and Chipper Jones in the free agent auction. From the Champ constantly letting me know that I waited too long to start spending big, to the 10 texts I'd get while at a meeting at work calling me a slacker because I've been on the clock for a whole 5 minutes. From the ballbusting that everyone had for anyone else's draft strategy, to each player having himself on top of the race for either league lead or MOY based on his own projections. This draft is so unique, so unpredictable, and so fun, it's a shame that the drafters are so great and so on top of their game that the experience only lasts 5 days.

As always I had a great time. Thanks KJ for running this draft again and thanks to all my fellow drafters for a blast of a good time. Now it's time to see if my squad can make the run for MOY that I built it for. Good luck guys.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:39 am

I'll echo Glenn's thoughts. Best draft of the year. Great format with very accomplished owners.

It was a little intimidating as a first timer knowing that we are a small ball club competing for the same players as people spending FIVE times the amount of money as us.

When john and I crafted the draft plan, we felt we came up with something that had a reasonable chance of working, along with it being a strategy I've never seen employed. Good luck everyone

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Great draft, great competition, and the best chat room of the year, by far. Gekko definitely added a new element of surprise, with his crazy (brilliant?) draft approach. I won't reveal it here other than to say, it has never been done before, as far as I know.

Through 6 rounds, Jeff and I truly did not know which way we were going to play this draft (big spender or Manager of the year). Greinke and Sanchez sealed the deal in the 7th and 8th round. We weren't playing small ball, but we only ended the draft as the 5th biggest spender. Does that leave us out of the money? We will see. 3rd place is still a positive return on investment, but we believe we have a chance to compete for the title. A lot of upside in the guys we drafted.

I am going through contract league withdrawals as we speak. When can we start the next one???

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:20 am

BK METS wrote: I am going through contract league withdrawals as we speak. When can we start the next one???
I felt without purpose today. :( :twisted:

A DC version might be in the cards later this draft season. 8-)

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:36 pm

A DC would be great. A "keeper" DC would be even better. Although the ADP chasers might jump off a bridge if that ever happened. :lol: