Use of Anonymous

fwicker

Use of Anonymous

Post by fwicker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:52 pm

I understand the use of anonymous in relation to being googled and associated with online gaming (fantasy baseball), but I thought that within a draft I would know who I'm playing against? I thought I read that within the draft you would see the name of the owner, even though he's "anonymous" on the signup. I'm in a DC where even the owner listed on the league site has a bogus name.

Knowing who you're playing against can constitute an edge, albeit minor, if you have a history of playing in these leagues.

Is it possible to sign up for a league with the condition that I don't play against an "anonymous" owner?
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Gekko

Re: Use of Anonymous

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:21 pm

fwicker wrote: Is it possible to sign up for a league with the condition that I don't play against an "anonymous" owner?
If u see an anonymous owner signed up, don't sign up for that league. I've seen plenty of DCs without an anonymous signed up

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:31 pm

i think fwicker is correct. anonymous was supposed to be revealed once the league filled.
nfbc needs to be consistent with this.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:32 pm

NorCalAtlFan wrote:i think fwicker is correct. anonymous was supposed to be revealed once the league filled.
If u want to be consistent, what u are asking for has NEVER been the case.

Money

Post by Money » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:36 pm

fwicker wrote:I understand the use of anonymous in relation to being googled and associated with online gaming (fantasy baseball), but I thought that within a draft I would know who I'm playing against? I thought I read that within the draft you would see the name of the owner, even though he's "anonymous" on the signup. I'm in a DC where even the owner listed on the league site has a bogus name.

Knowing who you're playing against can constitute an edge, albeit minor, if you have a history of playing in these leagues.

Is it possible to sign up for a league with the condition that I don't play against an "anonymous" owner?
This is a long standing debate. I think you're accurate as its been spelled out that once in the draft room you are supposed to know who you're drafting against. This doesn't appear to be the case. I personally don't care, but if you state that the owner is to be known to those in the league after entering the draft room, then that should be the case.

In the simplest way possible, the rules are the rules and should not vary for any given situation. If it's anonymous and disclosure once in the draft room, so be it. If it's anonymous and disclosure at a later point in time, so be it. It simply needs to be consistent.

Are the anonymous owners in question identified in the draft room after signing up or not? It has been stated that they are. Like I said, I don't care, I just think it should be consistent from league to league.
Joe

Money

Post by Money » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Gekko wrote:
NorCalAtlFan wrote:i think fwicker is correct. anonymous was supposed to be revealed once the league filled.
If u want to be consistent, what u are asking for has NEVER been the case.
We criss crossed Mark. You stated it perfectly and the NFBC needs to clarify for all of those new teams entering DC leagues so there is no confusion.
Joe

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi joe!

All of us have been down this road before. Anonymous owners have never had to reveal themselves prior to the big money leagues, ie basically opening day. Some of us want to protect our picks for our higher stakes leagues.

If the nfbc decides they want to change that policy this year, some owners will play less OR they will just get their buddy to signup.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:47 pm

I find it just a bit amusing that the anonymous owners don't mind their names being mentioned or written on site as winners after a season is complete...Maybe it's just me.

For me, I think the whole anonymous thing is ass backwards.
When I see a team tanking, that is when I'll call Greg and ask for the Anonymous tag....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Money

Post by Money » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Gekko wrote:Hi joe!

All of us have been down this road before. Anonymous owners have never had to reveal themselves prior to the big money leagues, ie basically opening day. Some of us want to protect our picks for our higher stakes leagues.

If the nfbc decides they want to change that policy this year, some owners will play less OR they will just get their buddy to signup.
Hi Mark,

I have no problem with any of it. The original poster believed that the owner was to be revealed on the team page and I think he is correct as that has been communicated in the past by the NFBC. I couldn't care less, I just think that those joining these leagues should know exactly what to expect going in to them. There is a grey area here and I think it needs to be clarified. I can go back and site previous posts that are contradictory to what's taking place. All I'm saying is that the NFBC needs to be specific and consistent with all players. This is certainly not a knock against you Mark.
Last edited by Money on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:01 pm

For the "record" - I have no problem revealing any anonymous teams I have once the season starts

Money

Post by Money » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Gekko wrote:For the "record" - I have no problem revealing any anonymous teams I have once the season starts
You know as well as I that this is in contradiction to what has been communicated (by the NFBC) on these boards. If that is the case, I'm perfect with it. I simply say let everyone know one way or the other what is going on.

You're the King of this format and we all use it for different reasons. The rules for entry should be spelled out and consistent, that's all I'm saying.
Joe

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Money wrote:
Gekko wrote:For the "record" - I have no problem revealing any anonymous teams I have once the season starts
You know as well as I that this is in contradiction to what has been communicated (by the NFBC) on these boards. If that is the case, I'm perfect with it. I simply say let everyone know one way or the other what is going on.

You're the King of this format and we all use it for different reasons. The rules for entry should be spelled out and consistent, that's all I'm saying.
Joe - I've never had to reveal any anonymous teams of mine prior to opening day. That seems crystal clear to me

Money

Post by Money » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Gekko wrote:
Money wrote:

Joe - I've never had to reveal any anonymous teams of mine prior to opening day. That seems crystal clear to me
I don't doubt that Mark, the original poster asked a legitimate question and is confused. The NFBC has stated on numerous occasions that transparency is available upon entering the draft room. I will only enter 2 of theses this year so it matters not to me.

I guess what I'm asking for is a clarification for all of those joining these leagues and what they can expect.
Joe

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Anonymous to protect picks in high stake leagues, what a joke!!! Yes, I study your every move; I want to know what the Gekko thinks! Pure pussy antics.
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Lunatic wrote:Anonymous to protect picks in high stake leagues, what a joke!!! Yes, I study your every move; I want to know what the Gekko thinks! Pure pussy antics.
I respect your right to sign up anonymous or not. Your lack of class is clearly on display here

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks for the interesting replies.... to clarify: I heard it stated, I believe by Greg Ambrosius (or Tom), that although the signups would say "anonymous", once the league started we would see the owners name. I'm in a draft where the anonymous team is owned by "Sir Gallahad". That's inconsistent with my understanding from NFBC.

Secondly, I would like the option of being exempted from leagues with an anonymous owner who doesn't reveal his identity (and to the respondent who, logically, suggested just not joining leagues with an anonymous owner.... this would only be foolproof if I was the 15th joiner ... an anonymous owner could join after me).

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:51 pm

fwicker wrote:Secondly, I would like the option of being exempted from leagues with an anonymous owner who doesn't reveal his identity (and to the respondent who, logically, suggested just not joining leagues with an anonymous owner.... this would only be foolproof if I was the 15th joiner ... an anonymous owner could join after me).
I believe last year Greg specifically had DC leagues where he said no anonymous signups will be taken

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:52 pm

fwicker wrote: I'm in a draft where the anonymous team is owned by "Sir Gallahad".
is this slow draft 18?

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:45 pm

DC12

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:42 am

There is only one protector of the right of being Anonymous and he'll probably play in another 30-40 DC's this year. Anyone playing that amount of leagues is going to win a few of them. As far as other drafters giving a whoot who someone else drafts, it's a total waste of time to concern yourself. The other 14 drafters in any draft more or less dictate who any owner named Anonymous will draft.

The whole subject is hilarious to read about each draft season. But if you join a league and it bothers you that there is an Anonymous owner in it, just email Greg or Tom and ask to be removed from that league.

Got to it admit, a few of the names of the teams Anonymous uses, are funny....lol

Maybe the guy who was going to do a spreadsheet on slow drafting owners can do one on all Anonymous Team picks so we can all study those picks...lol

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:48 am

Outlaw wrote: The whole subject is hilarious to read about each draft season. But if you join a league and it bothers you that there is an Anonymous owner in it, just email Greg or Tom and ask to be removed lol
This

EWeaver

Post by EWeaver » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:40 am

google their email address?

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 am

A post Greg made on another thread last month......

Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Yes we allow owners the chance to be listed on our public message boards as ANONYMOUS and anyone who doesn't want to compete with them can definitely avoid those leagues. Honestly, while some people think owners are hiding their identities for competitive reasons, the majority of our ANONYMOUS listings are for business reasons.Not everyone wants to be identified on public forums and we are the ones who list all names on the site. Not everyone wants to be identified on those lists and thus we put ANONYMOUS. However, as soon as you log into that full league you have full disclosure on who ANONYMOUS is and those owners don't mind that.It's just a personal matter that they don't want to be identified on our signup lists.

Now as we get closer to Draft Day, it's possible that someone wants to remain Anonymous on some DC leagues before the Main Events. But I don't believe we had any ANONYMOUS owners in the Main Event last year; certainly not for competitive reasons. Again, we are the ones who put everyone's name on the public forum (it was always done from the beginning as trying to be as transparent as possible as a game operator) and not everyone likes that.

We'll use ANONYMOUS again this year if requested and all owners can avoid those leagues or just meet the person first-hand once the online draft room opens up. All names are disclosed there.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:06 am

Navel Lint wrote:A post Greg made on another thread last month......

Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Now as we get closer to Draft Day, it's possible that someone wants to remain Anonymous on some DC leagues before the Main Events. But I don't believe we had any ANONYMOUS owners in the Main Event last year; certainly not for competitive reasons.
I will request a waiver under this clause if need be

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:13 am

fwicker wrote:I understand the use of anonymous in relation to being googled and associated with online gaming (fantasy baseball), but I thought that within a draft I would know who I'm playing against? I thought I read that within the draft you would see the name of the owner, even though he's "anonymous" on the signup. I'm in a DC where even the owner listed on the league site has a bogus name.

Guys, when each of you sign up for an NFBC event, you register your contact info and there is a box there that says Display Name. It's right there for everyone to post their display name for the league, for the national standings, etc. It's automated to show up what the user has entered there.

We have been through this before: Some owners right now are using Anonymous for business purposes, for family reasons and yes to not showcase their every pick. If you think anyone under Anonymous has an advantage because of this, please avoid that league. We are filling these up one a day and we don't have a lot of Anonymous owners so far. I especially don't think anyone is going as Anonymous now to scout others' picks in December, so that's not a concern. As we get closer to March we'll ask people to show their names in those final drafts so that there isn't any perception of scouting others.

Again, STATS isn't hiding anything; everyone has the ability to put their Display Name into every signup and it shows up under League, Owner's List along with emails. Good luck all and let's keep this great format rolling.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius