So Where Will Ryan Braun Go Now In NFBC Drafts?

Greg Ambrosius

So Where Will Ryan Braun Go Now In NFBC Drafts?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 am

I'll answer the question first, before asking for input:

Last night we started another $150 Slow Draft League just hours after the Ryan Braun verdict and there was speculation that he could go No. 1 overall. However, he went 4th after Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols and Matt Kemp. Fair enough. ADP after the ruling is now 4.

Where would you pick him? Let's hear the responses. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: So Where Will Ryan Braun Go Now In NFBC Drafts?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 am

I just tweeted that Eric Karabell and Tristan Cockcroft of ESPN.com both say that Braun is now their No. 1 fantasy picks. I'm seeing a few other industry writers saying that he's definitely Top 5 and likely Top 3. Hard to disagree there.

Where would I pick him? Hard not to say 1st or 2nd. A guy who can hit .332 with 30+ HRs and 30+ SBs is hard to find, that's for sure. Yes, Fielder is gone, but he does have some protection in Aramis Ramirez if he stays healthy. It's the same top of the order that they had last year and a healthy Rickie Weeks doesn't hurt at all. There's no reason to believe his regular season numbers were juice-related because there are reports that he was tested during the season a couple of times and those results were normal. So what's not to like here?

Miggy and Pujols would have to be considered in my Top 2, with Braun and Kemp close behind. With Troy Tulowitzki dropping to 5th among this group, it sure makes the Top 5 look strong. Is anyone now changing their KDS to 3,2,4,1,5.......? Or didn't this affect your KDS thought process? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Top 3 for sure in my book, likely Top 2. Glad to have you back in the lineup, Ryan.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 am

i'd hate to be the guy with the third pick in tonight's Fast Slow Draft.

Oh wait, I am....
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Money

Post by Money » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:59 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:I'll answer the question first, before asking for input:

Last night we started another $150 Slow Draft League just hours after the Ryan Braun verdict and there was speculation that he could go No. 1 overall. However, he went 4th after Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols and Matt Kemp. Fair enough. ADP after the ruling is now 4.

He'd have to drop a ways before I take him. Guilty or not (and I think he is) the scrutiny and questions he will have to field on a daily basis will take a toll. If Vegas put up odds I'd bet he does not put up first round numbers. This is certainly something that will be tracked and followed mercilessly during the course of the season. I think I'm tired of it already and yet we've only just begun.
Joe

Money

Post by Money » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:05 am

ToddZ wrote:i'd hate to be the guy with the third pick in tonight's Fast Slow Draft.

Oh wait, I am....
I predict you get Miggy!! I drafted him first yesterday after having Kemp lined up in the q and on auto all the way until one minute before the start. I'm a Tigers guy and have yet to pass on him in any draft, any year, where he was available to me with my first round pick. Ultimately it was the deciding factor.

The duel eligablility (when it comes) is a lot more important in a slow draft where your season's roster is set and there is no FAAB. His .340 batting average, 100+ runs and RBI's and 30+ homers don't hurt either. :)
Joe

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:17 am

Money wrote:

He'd have to drop a ways before I take him. Guilty or not (and I think he is) the scrutiny and questions he will have to field on a daily basis will take a toll. If Vegas put up odds I'd bet he does not put up first round numbers. This is certainly something that will be tracked and followed mercilessly during the course of the season. I think I'm tired of it already and yet we've only just begun.
I don't agree at all, Joe.
By the time the season starts, it'll be an old story. There won't be many questions left.
It'll be the same for Braun this year as it was for Miggy last year.
He'll get called out for being a PED user at opposing parks, much like Miggy was probably called a drunk.
In the end, it won't matter once they step into the batters box.
Guys like Braun and Miggy are hitters. Whatever distractions are off the field, won't matter when they're looking at the pitcher.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Money

Post by Money » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:27 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Money wrote:

I don't agree at all, Joe.
By the time the season starts, it'll be an old story. There won't be many questions left.
It'll be the same for Braun this year as it was for Miggy last year.
He'll get called out for being a PED user at opposing parks, much like Miggy was probably called a drunk.
In the end, it won't matter once they step into the batters box.
Guys like Braun and Miggy are hitters. Whatever distractions are off the field, won't matter when they're looking at the pitcher.
We'll agree to disagree on this one Dan. The average fan can relate to a drinking problem, some of us have one and everyone knows someone who does. Most cannot relate to the taking of the performance enhancing drugs or knows anyone (personally) who has.

I also disagree that this will go away anytime soon. This is way different. MLB suing, report to come out in a week or two from the arbitrator, revelation after revelation. This thing has a life of it's own right now and will carry on well into the season.

Do I wish I'd have grabbed him in the thrid round of the slow draft I was in, absolutely. Would I draft him in the first round right now, absolutely not.
Joe

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am

No problem, Joe :D
I wonder if that report will be made public. That would/could answer a lot of questions.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Money

Post by Money » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:No problem, Joe :D
I wonder if that report will be made public. That would/could answer a lot of questions.
I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that it will be public.

I'm posting to much. Trying to pass time. I'm in day 2 of a slow draft and so far we have 5 teams that haven't had the opportunity to make a pick. Get that group moving and I'll quit posting :D
Joe

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 pm

here's another take

of note is the reference to Will Carroll's tweet and the explanation provided in the comments.

I know others are commenting on the legal aspects of the case, but as a Chemist, something was fishy to me about the chemistry, and it is at least brought into question here.

Keeping in mind, the tests do not measure the amount of testosterone, but the ratio of synthetic to natural, the info here is quite interesting, especially in the comments

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/20 ... -it-right/
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:32 pm

1) Matt Kemp - Not only 40/40 potential, but he pretty much did it last year. If the guys surrounding him can do anything for protection, he has unheard of 50/50 capabilities. Still... a drop to 35 HR / 110 RBI / 100 Runs / 30 Steals / .300 Avg, still warrants him as the safe #1 pick
2) Miguel Cabrera - I believe with his dual eligibility at 3B and 1B keeps him at #2. He will also go #1 in many drafts
3) Ryan Braun - 1 test, even if he is truly guilty, cannot make up for the fact he had been negatively tested (unannounced) many other times during the season where he is arguably the #1 fantasy stud in the game. Even if his production drops off a little, with the loss of Prince, he is still worthy of top 3
4) Albert Pujols - The #4 pick might be the best position to have in upcoming drafts. Having to "settle" for Albert Pujols at #4 is not a bad position to be in. And, it is very likely Braun or Cabrera can drop here. Albert will still go #1 in many drafts and he is definitely worthy, but 1B is deep this year, compared to the other positions. I don't think the new ballpark will effect him much, but for positional purposes, he is #4 for me.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Although I don't necessarily agree with the order in the previous post, I would be very happy sitting at the #4 slot in a draft. Any of these players could be the #1 Fantasy player for 2012, so I might as well get the quickest pick on the return. I still have Miggy and Albert as 1-2, and the only reason I have Miggy above Albert is his eventual 1b/3b position eligibility.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Todays Top 5 for me would go

1. Miggy - 3B Eligible in short order.
2. Kemp - Wants to go 50/50 :shock:
3. Braun - I believe he is mad and I think he plays really well mad.
4. Pujols - He's Phat Albert
5. Tulo - Top SS and his numbers could easily compete with many of the top 1B options in my opinion.

I honestly think Braun is going to be out to prove he IS the NL MVP still and could top his 2011 numbers. Any way you look at it, my KDS will be changing a bit :mrgreen:
Congrats to all the guys that grabbed Braun in the Slow Drafts before the news... I believe that Ryan Braun will prove to be a "Solid Value" for a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick! ;) :D
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 pm

He hasn't gone yet after 5 picks in the latest Slow Draft that started tonight. Very interesting.

I'll be interested in seeing where he goes in the Fast/Slow Draft that starts in 10 minutes. Good luck there guys.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 pm

He went 3rd in the Fast/Slow Draft.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius