Real Headaches, Fantasy Heartaches

DOUGHBOYS

Real Headaches, Fantasy Heartaches

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Can these players come back from the problems they had last year?
We'll find out in two months.
Till then, here's a little write-up for each...

1. Hanley Ramirez-
An old coach of mine used to describe guys like Hanley as 'A ninety cent body and a ten cent head' player.
Some say it's injuries, others say it's that 10 cent head, either way, he's a head case for Managers and a headache to draft.

2. Carl Crawford-
Where will he fit in the lineup? He doesn't like to lead off! Should Crawford bat beside Ellsbury?
These were all things leading into last season. Crawford settled all fears by having his worst season. He just doesn't look right in a Boston uniform. The fans and press have to be in his head. Crawford is a workoutaholic and hustle has never been a problem. The regretting of signing in Boston? That is a problem.

3. Adam Dunn-
American League, Ozzie, DH, slower bat speed. We can come up with any reason why Dunn went south.
Dunn is doing the White Sox a favor by swinging a bat this off season. Sometimes zero and sometimes four times a week.
Thatta kid, Adam. Don't put yourself out...

4. James Loney-
Loney lives in L..A. and somebody told him he was a star.
Unless talking bumper cars, no.
I thought the Dodgers would sign Fielder and move Loney.
Now, they just need to move Loney.

5. Carlos Marmol-
He's dropped a couple of miles off his fastball, rendering his slider, hittable.
Hittable closers who are wild, draw up new resumes as former closers.

6. Logan Morrison-
The kid can hit. I just read that on his twitter. He and Ozzie ought to have tweeting contests.
He may be the only player sent to the Minors for overtweeting. He calls birdshit.
He is the forgotten man as far as BIG personalities in Miami. He'll make them remember.

7. AJ Burnett-
From number two starter last year to number five this year. Without the contract, he's not in the rotation.
When I think of Burnett, I think of Lackey. We'll see who has the better season.

8. Manny Ramirez-
Please? I'll be good! Please?
Manny sounds like a boy on his way to the principals office. The adults know the pleas are out of desperation.

9. Javier Vazquez-
You know how broadcasters love saying, 'This guy is a big game pitcher!'
They never talked about Vazquez.

10. Carlos Zambrano-
He has in his own way taken over for Milton Bradley. He's a grenade with the pin pulled and he can go off at any time.
Who woulda thunk that Zambrano and Buehrle would be on the same staff in a city outside of Chicago?
Ya gotta love baseball.

I know I must've missed some!
Who are your headaches or heartaches?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

BK METS

Re: Real Headaches, Fantasy Heartaches

Post by BK METS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Hanley and Crawford will bounce back. Marmol has a shot, but needs to be a smarter pitcher. Logan still has potential. The rest are done.

How about players coming off of injuries such as Grady Sizemore / Johan Santana / Adam Wainwright

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:09 pm

And....
What about Miggy and Piggy? (I can say that because us big people hang together :) )
The middle of that lineup has more beef than Prince eats out of public view.
Will they click better than
Maris/Mantle?
Mays/McCovey?
Braun/Fielder?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

wahooblue

Post by wahooblue » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:35 pm

I had many last year including C Crawford but another one that sticks in my mind is Justin Morneau 1b Min and his lost season last year. I didn`t expect a typical 300 20-90 line coming off his concussion issue but i did expect more than a 227 4-30 (69gm) season .I can`t help but shy away from any player with concussion syndrome knowing now how it can effect their entire season or possibly the career.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:46 pm

wahooblue wrote:I had many last year including C Crawford but another one that sticks in my mind is Justin Morneau 1b Min and his lost season last year. I didn`t expect a typical 300 20-90 line coming off his concussion issue but i did expect more than a 227 4-30 (69gm) season .I can`t help but shy away from any player with concussion syndrome knowing now how it can effect their entire season or possibly the career.
Just seeing this quote from Morneau would scare me away, but I hope the best for him:

“Most days, I wake up I feel pretty good. Usually after I get done – I really exert myself, really working out hard – after a long day, your brain gets tired and everything gets so worn down. It’s not functioning the way it’s supposed to be, and you kind of get done with the day and you go, ‘Something’s not right.’ And you end up going home and taking a nap for a couple hours or whatever it is, and you wake up and the headache’s still there and you kind of grind through it. But it’s been a lot better lately.”

Here's where that came from:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... -patience/
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm

I though the overdrafting of Morneau was the craziest thing I saw last year. People were acting like he tweaked a hamstring and drafting him in the 6th round. Concussions aren't like other injuries. Ask basically half the NHL. The SDs make clear already that people aren't going to make the same mistake twice.