MLB Contract League

Thunder

MLB Contract League

Post by Thunder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Originally posted by Tampa Munchers:

Are trades allowed? If so, can draft picks be traded?

The 2 pick is on the blocks if trading is allowed. as much as i would like to trade you picks, it ain't going to happen... :(

[ January 15, 2011, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Kentucky Reign ]
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

KJ Duke

MLB Contract League

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Originally posted by Tampa Munchers:

Are trades allowed? If so, can draft picks be traded?

The 2 pick is on the blocks if trading is allowed. I'd trade too if I could ... with your KDS preference you would've had any pick you wanted except #1.

Glenneration X

MLB Contract League

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:33 am

We should get this thing started today. We could get 10 rounds in with as anxious as everyone is to get this thing going.

Why does everyone always start these things on a Monday? Some of us work ya know.

Glenn

Thunder

MLB Contract League

Post by Thunder » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:04 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

We should get this thing started today. We could get 10 rounds in with as anxious as everyone is to get this thing going.

Why does everyone always start these things on a Monday? Some of us work ya know.

Glenn I'd be good with today. I'm sure it would be difficult to get it arranged, but i'd love to get this thing going about kickoff. Watching the NFL playoffs and drafting baseball, LIFE IS GOOD.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

Glenneration X

MLB Contract League

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 am

Originally posted by Kentucky Reign:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Glenn I'd be good with today. I'm sure it would be difficult to get it arranged, but i'd love to get this thing going about kickoff. Watching the NFL playoffs and drafting baseball, LIFE IS GOOD.
[/QUOTE]That's what I'm talking about Bill, great idea!

Football & drafting. By the end of the Jets game, we'll be in the double digit rounds. What do you say KJ? As I told you, my access from work is going to be much more limited than in previous years. Let's get a head start!!! :D

Glenn

KJ Duke

MLB Contract League

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:08 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Glenn If no one objects we could start today.

KJ Duke

MLB Contract League

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 am

Draft starts in 30 minutes!

If anyone isn't ready today we'll pause 'til tomorrow when it reaches them.

bill

MLB Contract League

Post by bill » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:29 am

KJ,

I'm so bummed I just so this thread. this type of league is like a dream to me. now add contract length and make it a keeper league and i know i'm in heaven.

seriously, if you have any problems that cause an owner to withdraw from the league (prior to the draft starting) let me know.

i'm interested if you decide to gather names for a second league. i love the format.

i'm also in seeing how the draft strategies play out. will the draft be done via the message board? it would be fun to watch.

Glenneration X

MLB Contract League

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Draft starts in 30 minutes!

If anyone isn't ready today we'll pause 'til tomorrow when it reaches them. Now that's what I call a commish who meets the needs of his constituency. Great job KJ. Let's draft!!!!

Glenn

KJ Duke

MLB Contract League

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 am

Where are doughboy and the headhunter? Send a search party!

Glenneration X

MLB Contract League

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:13 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Where are doughboy and the headhunter? Send a search party! They're checking the woods for HH. I think the FBI and local authorities are stumped.

We might have better luck finding Hoffa.

Glenn

Thunder

MLB Contract League

Post by Thunder » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:29 am

We just got into round 5 this morning. I must say this is one of the best league/drafts I've ever been a part of. In the early rounds, it gets to your pick and your decision is a $100 or $200 stud, or a $4 productive player. The strategy is mind boggling, but it's incredibly interesting. One team started with 4 pitchers. The first few picks were fairly on queue considering the salaries of the players taken. But since, there's hasn't been much telling what a team is going to do or who he's taking. Stay tuned.

BTW, the chat room with this group is "alive and kicking".

[ January 18, 2011, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Kentucky Reign ]
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

Hard Heads

MLB Contract League

Post by Hard Heads » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 am

Having not looked at anybody's salaries for this league care to share the first 5 picks? First round? Just curious having been the fool who took ARod the first go round what others did.

Thanks and enjoy!
Hard Heads

Thunder

MLB Contract League

Post by Thunder » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 am

Originally posted by Hard Heads:

Having not looked at anybody's salaries for this league care to share the first 5 picks? First round? Just curious having been the fool who took ARod the first go round what others did.

Thanks and enjoy! Sorry, but i'm not at liberty to reveal picks from the draft. It will be up to the other owners if they wish to unveil the draft results.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

crazytown

MLB Contract League

Post by crazytown » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 am

15 pages on the message board and no one will reveal ANY of their own picks. I know some information can be gained from prospective future opponents, but do to the unique format of this league I would think some would offer some info.

Thanks and good luck drafting.

crazytown

MLB Contract League

Post by crazytown » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 am

I guess I should have joined the league if I wanted to know the picks.

Hard Heads

MLB Contract League

Post by Hard Heads » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 am

quote:Originally posted by Hard Heads:

Thanks and enjoy! Sorry, but i'm not at liberty to reveal picks from the draft. It will be up to the other owners if they wish to unveil the draft results.
[/QUOTE]Sorry Bill

I thought since the results of this league would have nothing to do with any other draft I assumed that it wouldn't be so top secret. When we did it two years ago it wasnt hush hush at all.
Hard Heads

Thunder

MLB Contract League

Post by Thunder » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 am

Originally posted by Hard Heads:

quote:Originally posted by Kentucky Reign:

quote:Originally posted by Hard Heads:

[/QUOTE]Sorry Bill

I thought since the results of this league would have nothing to do with any other draft I assumed that it wouldn't be so top secret. When we did it two years ago it wasnt hush hush at all.
[/QUOTE]Craig

I'm not making it hush-hush, I'm simply not going to disclose the draft. I'll be more than happy to put my team on the board when it's over, unless others would rather i didn't.

BTW, if this league has nothing to do with any other draft, then what's the big deal posting it???
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

Hard Heads

MLB Contract League

Post by Hard Heads » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:18 am

No worries Bill. Not doing any NFBC or WCOFB leagues just curiostiy and trying to pass the time. So what were your top picks if you don't mind divulging yours?
Hard Heads

Glenneration X

MLB Contract League

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 am

We just got into round 5 this morning. I must say this is one of the best league/drafts I've ever been a part of. In the early rounds, it gets to your pick and your decision is a $100 or $200 stud, or a $4 productive player. The strategy is mind boggling, but it's incredibly interesting. One team started with 4 pitchers. The first few picks were fairly on queue considering the salaries of the players taken. But since, there's hasn't been much telling what a team is going to do or who he's taking. Stay tuned.

BTW, the chat room with this group is "alive and kicking". I agree Bill. This is the most fun I've had for any draft format I've taken part in. The strategizing is intense and the decisions for each & every pick are agonizing. It's a totally different way of team building. We're in round 7 and I have absolutely no idea if I'm doing well or not. I guess we'll see at draft's end when the teams are all put together, everyone needs to pony up their team salaries, and we'll all see what we ended up with for our buck. :eek:

Major kudos to KJ for this format. You can count on me participating every year this league is offered.

I also agree that this is a great chat room. Those who were hoping for a lot of draft prep talk would be disappointed, but those like me who enjoy watching trash talk & ballbusting... :D :D :D God forbid someone take more than 45 seconds per pick . I of course have been the patient and quiet one of the crowd, but am enjoying the trash talk by all these other guys.

I also have no problem revealing my picks. I'll do so later tonight. You guys are right, this draft in no way will resemble the straight drafts we'll see in March.

Glenn

crazytown

MLB Contract League

Post by crazytown » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks X. Please add the salaries if you don't mind.

Thanks again

KJ Duke

MLB Contract League

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Here's a taste without revealing any team picks.

Middle of the 7th round; A-Rod, Teixera, R Howard and Hallday are all available. Of course, each will cost you at least $200 to draft. Meanwhile, guys like Craig Kimbrel, Neil Walker, Pablo Sandoval and Gaby Sanchez at a cost of $4-5 each have been taken.

This is the third one of these I've run over 2 seasons, and you just can't plan for it - each draft has evolved very differently. We're having a blast ... it's a unique annual event, for those who missed out signup early next season!

Thunder

MLB Contract League

Post by Thunder » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:11 pm

my first 8 picks in the MLBC

$200..Miguel Cabrera

$140..Tim Lincecum

$73..Matt Cain

$24..Kelly Johnson

$9..Shaun Marcum

$5..Shin-Soo Choo

$4..Mike Stanton

$4..Drew Stubbs

$459 spent

[ January 18, 2011, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Kentucky Reign ]
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

Glenneration X

MLB Contract League

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Ok there's a bit of a human rain delay in the draft so here's my draft through 7-rounds, I'm in the 7-hole....

1- Ryan Braun $43 - In my spot, I was just looking to see what 1st round talent with the best value dropped to me. I'd guess the 1st 9 or so players picked went according to how I anticipated, though in a different order. I was hoping one or two other guys might drop to me, but I was happy to start with Braun at only $43.

2- Francisco Liriano $16 - The 2nd half of the first round into the 2nd round is where I learned that this would be no ordinary draft. Typical 2nd, 3rd, & 4th rounders started flying off the board because of value. Many were players I was targeting for my 2nd round pick. One player much smarter than me started his draft value pitcher, value pitcher. Most of the value bats I was targeting here were already off the board, so I shifted gears and grabbed a potential ace at a great price.

3- Mat Latos $4 - More value bats disappear off the boards. Every round I consider going for the high dollar talent dropping because of the cost, but a majority of the other drafters seem to be focused more on value. I realize if I'm going to get any real value, I'll need to grab it in the early rounds. Latos is another budding ace for the league minimum. My 2nd choice here was Miguel Cabrera, still available because of the $200 price tag. I gamble that the value drafting will continue and he might make it back to me. He doesn't. What other league could the two options you consider in the 3rd round vary from a $4 minimum salary player and the 8th most expensive player in the league? What other draft would that player even be available in the 3rd round?

4- Alexei Ramirez $29 - The value drafting continues around the 3-4 turn. A few value players at scarce positions I was looking at are amongst those snagged. I decide to grab one here. A few of the more expensive bats I like start to fly off the boards as well and I seriously consider Chase Utley here at $153. Still, I decide Alexei's value is too tough to pass here and gamble that Chase lasts a little longer.

5- Pedro Alvarez $21 - I want a power hitting 3rd baseman. I don't want to spend $320 for A-Roid, at least not unless I have to. Alvarez is the last value 3rd baseman that I'm high on. I pass on Utley again and figure I've probably given up the opportunity at him and start looking at other players for my next pick.

6- Chase Utley $153 - Surprised he made it back to me. I was set to take Soto for $30, the last value catcher I really liked. I struggled with this pick, but really felt the 2nd premium bat was key to my team and decided I couldn't pass on Utley again. Good move as another drafter with 2 picks before mine said he'd have probably grabbed Utley with one of the two picks. Instead he grabbed Soto. :(

7- Gordon Beckham $4 - After the Utley pick, I wanted to get back to grabbing value. My first two choices, including Soto, get grabbed before my pick. I grab Beckham in the midst of a middle infielder run as I see the four p's, potential, position, park, and mostly price.

That's where I stand right now as 14 drafters wait on one, as usual.

Glenn

headhunters

MLB Contract League

Post by headhunters » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 am

while i think utely was a nice pick - i was surprised at all the hoo rahs you got for drafting him. he was 153 bucks. about 25 picks later john p. got matt holiday for 170. a guy that pretty much outperforms utely every year. 2 nice picks but much different reactions.