The Speed of Free Agents Loading

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:23 am

I talked with John last night about Sunday's slowness of FAAB in the last 15 minutes. He agreed that it did slow down at the end and is looking at ways to change that for this week. Same with the message boards as hopefully we can solve that problem too when traffic gets high.

As for FAAB loading now, remember that we are loading all players on one page as requested from our members. Most sites have pages and that's why that initial load is so much quicker. If we had stuck with pages the load time would be much, much quicker. Even right now there was the request to load All Hitters rather than Catchers and that initial load time is taking twice as long as before.

Again, John is going to look into all of this and see if there's a way we can still make this much quicker even with everything on one page. It's going to be slower late on Sunday night as we near the deadline, so plan ahead if you can, but in the interim we'll keep trying to speed this up anyway. Good luck all this week in FAAB.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:35 am

is this the week mike leake gets added- or is it some time in the not too distant future?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:38 am

Has John been notified of the illegal free agents that are still available for bidding?

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:40 am

In computer networking, load balancing is a technique to distribute workload evenly across two or more computers, network links, CPUs, hard drives, or other resources, in order to get optimal resource utilization, maximize throughput, minimize response time, and avoid overload.

Liquidhippo

Post by Liquidhippo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks Greg, this is good that you're looking to improve. I trust that the tech crew will. If the status quo remained I would be forced to cut back on the number of teams next year because, so far the time it takes to get waivers done on all of my teams compared to last year has increased exponentially. As for other sites, I know of one that loads over 2,000 players in 3 seconds, and that's on a bad day. Another contest lists every single pitcher available in a nanosecond, each and every time 24/7. This has been consistent everyday, all day for weeks, peak times or not.

So I juxtaposed queries on those databases, vs. queries on fanballs during the slow times(5 minute page loads). I've tried this using two different internet service providers in two different locations, and on 3 computers total, one Windows XP Pro, one brand new Windows 7 machine, and one brand new MAC. Going with multiple browers(safari, firefox, and Internet explorer), every browser on each computer(only used safari on the MAC), on both ISP and on all computers and browsers, I queried players at the speed of light on other sites just moments after experiencing the periodic slowdowns(5 minute page load times) on Sunday that occurred off and on throughout the day here at the NFBC. This experience the last couple of weeks is a carbon copy of what life would be like, from time to time, over at the FFOC over the last two years. Not complaining, just the stating the facts. And hey, as the only Million Dollar game in town and team costs under $100 each, you live with it. Tech problems over there regularly prevented me from accessing teams to make lineup changes and/or making waiver claims. But at around $100 a team with such a big carrot, you just roll with it because you're not getting 1 Mil anywhere else. However, with some of these teams being investments of 1k+, I think it's imperative that the tech people understand that it's not just a tad slower than the competition, nor is it just 15 minutes on Sunday, or someone's ISP, or someone not cleaning out their cookies. Greg, you've proven your mettle as the best in the industry and I trust you'll crack the whip until the back end at fanball gets the job done.

FWIW, during the week, load times are typically between 8-12 seconds for Hitters or Pitchers. Sunday is a different story.

[ April 13, 2010, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Liquidhippo ]

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Originally posted by Liquidhippo:

Another contest lists every single pitcher available in a nanosecond, each and every time 24/7. This has been consistent everyday, all day for weeks, peak times or not.

it is nothing we are doing wrong greg. we shouldn't have to change browser!!! this slow page issue IS and HAS BEEN a fanball issue. either they don't have enough hardware or their people can't configure it correctly, OR BOTH

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Liquidhippo:

Another contest lists every single pitcher available in a nanosecond, each and every time 24/7. This has been consistent everyday, all day for weeks, peak times or not.

it is nothing we are doing wrong greg. we shouldn't have to change browser!!! this slow page issue IS and HAS BEEN a fanball issue. either they don't have enough hardware or their people can't configure it correctly, OR BOTH
[/QUOTE]The easy solution is using pages for positions and loading 30-50 players instead of 200-250. We had that originally and the regulars asked John to change it. When you load All Hitters with the first page, it's going to take some time. Now if Greg says other sites can still load 2,000 players in the blink of an eye, then I'll ask John what's the best speed we can do. But going to Pages for each position would help immediately.

As I stated at the top of this thread, John thinks we can speed this up. I wouldn't have posted this thread if I didn't think something was coming from the IT team. I told Ryan tonight that we can't have guys who are buying multiple teams struggling on Sundays because there's no way they will return with the same amount of teams next year. Last year we saved all of you plenty of time on Sundays and we need to do an even better job of this in 2010. We're working on that now because we can see what is happening.

Again, that's why I started this thread.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius