Lower Round Bargains

DOUGHBOYS

Lower Round Bargains

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:20 am

Originally posted by Dub:

How about Shaun Marcum and Sean Rodriguez? I missed putting Marcum on the list.

Even have him on most of my teams.

Rodriquez has been touted as the next Zobrist, a poor comparison. Rodriquez has minor league numbers and a big spring training to put him on everybodys list. Zobrist came out of nowhere during the regular season.

Someone I trust a lot says that Rodriquez has a big hole in his swing and that it'll be exploited once around the league.

He'll be 'on watch' for me once the season opens.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Dub

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Dub » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:34 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

quote:Originally posted by Dub:

How about Shaun Marcum and Sean Rodriguez? I missed putting Marcum on the list.

Even have him on most of my teams.

Rodriquez has been touted as the next Zobrist, a poor comparison. Rodriquez has minor league numbers and a big spring training to put him on everybodys list. Zobrist came out of nowhere during the regular season.

Someone I trust a lot says that Rodriquez has a big hole in his swing and that it'll be exploited once around the league.

He'll be 'on watch' for me once the season opens.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, Zobrist comes to mind because they play on the same team, play the same two positions, have the same offensive tools and their wives have the same first name. :D
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

Snord35

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Snord35 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:21 am

Originally posted by eddiejag:

quote:Originally posted by Snord35:

One guy I missed out on but think will provide great value is Delmon Young. He looks quick again on the bases after dropping 30 pounds. The guy could always hit average it's just waiting for that 30 HR power we all were told he has. I feel Young can hit .290+ this season with Run and RBI totals around 75 with HR and SB totals close to 18. Young isn't even 25 yet so a big breakout can happen.

Preseason Projection for 2010

Games 139

AB's 540

Avg .294

R 74

HR 18

RBI 78

SB 19 I just dont see this especially the 540 atbats.I think Thome is still a professional hitter and will take bats away from Young and even Kubel a few.Unless of injury i dont see even 400. :(
[/QUOTE]Last year Young was the odd man out and got 395 AB. Most of them were late in the season when Cuddyer moved to 1B. From August to the end of the season Young played in 47 of the 60 games and was 57-187 for a .305 Avg with 28 R, 9 HR, 33 RBI and 0 SB. Not bad for 47 games. Now that he lost 30 lbs. he can run again and should be able to get double digit stolen bases again easy.

I can see Thome taking some AB's away but Thome won't be a everyday player unless injuries force him into the line up. The White Sox had a chance to sign Thome to be their DH and passed because they couldn't see him getting enough AB's! The Sox were number 1 on the list of teams Thome wanted to play for also. From what I understand the Twins don't see Thome as a everyday player. He is making under 2 million so that shows not a lot of teams had an interest in him. To me he will be Punto's late inning pinch hitter and will get one or two starts a week giving players some rest.

DOUGHBOYS

Lower Round Bargains

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:27 am

If Young continues to hit more than 50% of batted balls on the ground it won't matter how much he weighs, it will also probably result in less at bats.
On my tombstone-

SlackerDan

Lower Round Bargains

Post by SlackerDan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:34 am

I think Gomes is really going to be a nice player this year .. finally coming into his own.

Excellent late round pick

450 - 500 ABS

28 - 32 HRS

10 - 12 SBS

DOUGHBOYS

Lower Round Bargains

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:44 am

Originally posted by SlackerDan:

I think Gomes is really going to be a nice player this year .. finally coming into his own.

450 - 500 ABS

28 - 32 HRS

10 - 12 SBS Gomes is a very streaky hitter. I don't do projections, but 28-32 home runs is high. Only because managers do not want to ride out his cold spells and he gets forgotten once on the bench, limiting his at bats. He is the type of player that becomes a free agent three times a year.

I like him and think he is the best option for Cincy. They need a power bat from the right side down that lineup. It helps that Dusty Baker had him last year and likes him.
On my tombstone-

Glenneration X

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:46 am

quote:Originally posted by SlackerDan:

450 - 500 ABS

28 - 32 HRS

10 - 12 SBS Gomes is a very streaky hitter. I don't do projections, but 28-32 home runs is high. Only because managers do not want to ride out his cold spells and he gets forgotten once on the bench, limiting his at bats. He is the type of player that becomes a free agent three times a year.

I like him and think he is the best option for Cincy. They need a power bat from the right side down that lineup. It helps that Dusty Baker had him last year and likes him.
[/QUOTE]Do you really see Gomes getting that many at-bats?

Hells Satans

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Hells Satans » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:20 am

quote:Originally posted by SlackerDan:

450 - 500 ABS

28 - 32 HRS

[/QUOTE]Gomes has zero chance of hitting .270 in that many ABs. To get 450-500 ABs, he would need to get over 300 ABs against RHP. His career BA against RHB is .224 in 1200 PA with a 33% K rate. Basically, the more ABs he gets, the lower his BA is going to be. He's not an everyday player and he doesnt need to be on the Reds

SlackerDan

Lower Round Bargains

Post by SlackerDan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:11 am

Jonny had < 300 ABS last year and hit 20 bombs. I think .270 might be a stretch, but i defintely think he wil get the 400+ ABS this year. He is by far the best option in leftfield for the reds. He gets the 400+ abs, he will hit the ~ 30 bombs. Quick hands, crushes lefties and overall great guy. Love the way he plays baseball ...But, I dont know much about fantasy baseball so I might be way off.

eddiejag

Lower Round Bargains

Post by eddiejag » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:18 am

Originally posted by SlackerDan:

Jonny had I actually agree with this and im in a homerun pool today and thinking Gomes with my last pick.

There is 11 teams and picking 12 rounds we have pick 3 and took Arod.In the 5th round pick 3 who would have any of you have taken,here was our choices.

Sizemore

Wright

Hmilton

Soraino

Swisher

We already picked just intersted in other opionions. thanks.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Bobby J

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Bobby J » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:42 am

Eddie, I like Swisher out of that group, 2nd year as a Yankee and full time AB, could hit 35 this year
Some Assembly Required

Lower Round Bargains

Post by 751542 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:51 am

swish as well
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

rockitsauce

Lower Round Bargains

Post by rockitsauce » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:41 am

gotta go w/ little nicky, though sizemore intrigues me (bat 3rd maybe)
Always be closing.

Bama

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Bama » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:43 am

I would probably roll the dice with Hamilton

eddiejag

Lower Round Bargains

Post by eddiejag » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Believe it or not it came down to Sizemore and Wright and we took Wright.Then Hamilton made it back to the 6th round pick 8 i couldnt believe it and had to talk my partner into taking him.We took Sean Rodriquez with our last pick in the 11th round,i hope he's for real.We could have played it safe but NO. :D
EDWARD J GILLIS

The Franchise

Lower Round Bargains

Post by The Franchise » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Originally posted by eddiejag:

Believe it or not it came down to Sizemore and Wright and we took Wright.Then Hamilton made it back to the 6th round pick 8 i couldnt believe it and had to talk my partner into taking him.We took Sean Rodriquez with our last pick in the 11th round,i hope he's for real.We could have played it safe but NO. :D New projections have S-Rod with 20+ HR. Out of your 20th Rd pick at MI that would be sweet. :D
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

Hells Satans

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Hells Satans » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Originally posted by The Franchise:

quote:Originally posted by eddiejag:

Believe it or not it came down to Sizemore and Wright and we took Wright.Then Hamilton made it back to the 6th round pick 8 i couldnt believe it and had to talk my partner into taking him.We took Sean Rodriquez with our last pick in the 11th round,i hope he's for real.We could have played it safe but NO. :D New projections have S-Rod with 20+ HR. Out of your 20th Rd pick at MI that would be sweet. :D [/QUOTE]Maybe, but TB cutting Blalock and keeping Brignac will negatively impact his value. He probably just lost 150 ABs

Snord35

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Snord35 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Originally posted by Snord35:

quote:Originally posted by eddiejag:

quote:Originally posted by Snord35:

One guy I missed out on but think will provide great value is Delmon Young. He looks quick again on the bases after dropping 30 pounds. The guy could always hit average it's just waiting for that 30 HR power we all were told he has. I feel Young can hit .290+ this season with Run and RBI totals around 75 with HR and SB totals close to 18. Young isn't even 25 yet so a big breakout can happen.

Preseason Projection for 2010

Games 139

AB's 540

Avg .294

R 74

HR 18

RBI 78

SB 19 I just dont see this especially the 540 atbats.I think Thome is still a professional hitter and will take bats away from Young and even Kubel a few.Unless of injury i dont see even 400. :(
[/QUOTE]Last year Young was the odd man out and got 395 AB. Most of them were late in the season when Cuddyer moved to 1B. From August to the end of the season Young played in 47 of the 60 games and was 57-187 for a .305 Avg with 28 R, 9 HR, 33 RBI and 0 SB. Not bad for 47 games. Now that he lost 30 lbs. he can run again and should be able to get double digit stolen bases again easy.

I can see Thome taking some AB's away but Thome won't be a everyday player unless injuries force him into the line up. The White Sox had a chance to sign Thome to be their DH and passed because they couldn't see him getting enough AB's! The Sox were number 1 on the list of teams Thome wanted to play for also. From what I understand the Twins don't see Thome as a everyday player. He is making under 2 million so that shows not a lot of teams had an interest in him. To me he will be Punto's late inning pinch hitter and will get one or two starts a week giving players some rest.
[/QUOTE]Didn't Mauer hit a HR in his first AB last year for his break out season? Young did the same thing tonight :eek: and added a SB :D

Go Twins!

Hells Satans

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Hells Satans » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:04 am

Originally posted by Hells Satans:

I kinda like Young (at least where he was being drafted), but I dont like Stubbs even a little bit. 5 HRs and 143Ks in 660 ABs above A ball. Terible contact skills. Can see him hitting below .240, mooting his speed skills. With Dickerson capable of replacing him, I don't see Stubbs getting 500 ABs this year. But what do I know. Interesting to look at this thread a few weeks in. Drew Stubbs has stunk himself into what is more or less a platoon with a .174 .283 .283 .566 line while striking out in 40% percent of his ABs. He's a 4th OF on a decent team.

Red Sox Nation

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Red Sox Nation » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Stubbs showed numerous red flags this spring
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Dirt Dogs

Lower Round Bargains

Post by Dirt Dogs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:53 pm

what about Paul Konerko. Looks like old pauly.
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart