Fantasy baseball grinders?

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:41 pm

You know of poker players, or have heard of the ones known as "The Rock"...who only play premium hands and rarely buck the percentages. They get no respect, and often get ridiculed and teased for playing in such a way...but they have a solid rate of...from not losing much...to making a profit..."in essence, Grinding."

I have also heard many times the "Show me twice" philosophy of drafting. This seems to apply ONLY to the draft itself...due to most call ups or waiver drops or injury replacements having little to no "show me twice" value...yet year after year these WW pickups impact heavily into each seasons NFBC Champion.

Getting to the point...I was just wondering if there were any of you NFBC players that draft on FULL conservative mode. The Grinders. You who ignore the talk about "having to risk and reach" to win the overall title. The ones who pull a tidy profit each year winning 3rd or 2nd place in your league...grinding the percentages.

You consider talent, but almost ignore unproven upside. You put value on "projected at bats and innings pitched" instead of the "hype of his talent, surrounding talent or spot in the order". You stick to the proven, rather than the un-proven.

Show yourselves!

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

GYOZTES

Post by GYOZTES » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:49 pm

the main event that you participate in is not conducive to a conservative strategy-25% of your money is taken out up front-25% is taken out of your league and put in the overall prizes. This is not comparable to poker.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:57 am

in one of my HONEST chats, i said people lacked the "balls" to make the picks they really wanted to.

bluenose

Post by bluenose » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Originally posted by GYOZTES:

the main event that you participate in is not conducive to a conservative strategy-25% of your money is taken out up front-25% is taken out of your league and put in the overall prizes. This is not comparable to poker. Exactly. You can only grind if the rake is reasonable.

GYOZTES

Post by GYOZTES » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:19 am

even if the rake is unreasonable (which most are)this is easily offset by loose passive or loose aggresive players at your table.

JohnZ

Post by JohnZ » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:34 am

Grinding in a 500+ person tournament is very similar to grinding out 26 weeks of faab imo.

patience, patience, patience, more patience, max out opportunity, patience.....

GYOZTES

Post by GYOZTES » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:39 am

cash games are a grind-tournaments are not a grind-extemely dynamic-frustrating, but exciting.