Idea for Player Drops

Fourslot40

Idea for Player Drops

Post by Fourslot40 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:26 am

If someone has mentioned this idea, forgive me. With all of the discussion regarding irregular player drops, I'd like to mention perhaps one idea to assist with the policing of such moves. Below is the current rule on player drop reviews:

Commissioner Review of Player Drops: All player drops for free agents are subject to review by the NFBC commissioner and can be revoked if the dropped player is deemed too valuable to be offered to that league's free agent pool, thus damaging the credibility of the overall contest. In the case of a "star" player being dropped in a league for a valid reason, the NFBC commissioner reserves the right to allow the cut but keep the player out of that league's free agent pool for any length of time, possibly the entire season. All decisions by the NFBC commissioner will be final.

It seems that the interpretation of the rule is that it is a judgement call. We currently have data that can eliminate the judgement call. Utilize the percentage owned data. We just improved the data to reflect each contest individually so this can work. We create a benchmark percentage that says if a player dropped is owned over X% in the "overall" contest, that player isn't visible in the league FAAB pool until his percentage drops below the X%.

For private leagues, the NFBC commissioner would rule on which player base to utilize.

This completely eliminates the thought of collusion through player drops completely as there is no work around. The rule protects the overall contest while protecting the league prize.

Gekko

Re: Idea for Player Drops

Post by Gekko » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:34 am

I dropped Profar and Velancia last week. Both were 97-100% owned at the time. Should they have been removed? Last night they went for chump change

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:55 pm

Gekko wrote:I dropped Profar and Velancia last week. Both were 97-100% owned at the time. Should they have been removed? Last night they went for chump change
Nope, which is why judgement calls work better.

That said, using the % owned data to set-up some data dumps for NFBC review would be a great idea. Data reports could be assembled to show outlier leagues where it happens frequently for closer scrutiny by management.

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:57 am

Or automate leveraging a very current "perceived value" ranking just to alert a human(s) to red flags.