Building Through FAAB

Money

Building Through FAAB

Post by Money » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 pm

I have thought all year that it would be very difficult to win the Rotowire overall from a high dollar league. The best shot is coming from a $350 league where there tends to be a lot more giving up. I had a look at some of the top teams in the roto. One team in particular sticks out and has to be the odds on favorite to win this title and the $100,000. Here is what he has been able to secure in FAAB. He has done an outstanding job pouncing on every opportunity. Here is the list of players he has picked up starting with the most recent ones.

Pomeranz
Darvish
Betances
Dozier
Franco
Contreras (2 weeks ago for $1)
Votto
C. Martinez
Duffy
Harris
Diaz
Archer
Estrada
Calhoun
LuCroy
Dyson
Madson
Villar
Teheran
Pedroia

All of this via FAAB of which some are no longer on his team. The team is loaded and he has worked FAAB to perfection. The top 5 were secured in the last couple of weeks for a high bid of $20. LuCroy cost the most at $70 everyone else came for $51 or less. The average bid for all of these players was short of $20. Pretty amazing. I don't think these players become available in most leagues especially in the high dollar events where players stick around all year.

Put that together with a strong draft that included Harper, Sale, Syndergaard, Marte, Longoria, Freeman, Kemp, LaMaheu, etc. and you have the makings of an overall winner.
Joe

Gekko

Re: Building Through FAAB

Post by Gekko » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Kudos for that owner.

However 12 team baseball leagues are a joke. Most people understand that

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Gekko wrote:Kudos for that owner.

Yeah, looking at some of ode FA names...guys that shouldn't even have been droppable in a 12 Teamer.

Money

Post by Money » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:28 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:
Gekko wrote:Kudos for that owner.

Yeah, looking at some of ode FA names...guys that shouldn't even have been droppable in a 12 Teamer.
In reality it appears to be the perfect storm for this team. He's able to get players (week after week) that are 90% plus owned in the format for very reasonable prices.
Joe

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:55 am

I could see some of those names being dropped in 1-2 leagues across the OL Championship, but all in the exact same league seems odd. Votto, C-Mart, Archer, Lucroy, Pedroia and Darvish? None of those have been dropped in ANY of my leagues and they all get dropped in the same league and the same guy gets them? Really really odd.

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Going more closely through the FAAB in this league is very strange. So many bids that end in 0 and 5, unlike any league I have seen. How does Darvish get no backup bid and how does Joey Votto get picked up for $25? I have played in a ton of NFBC leagues and never seen anything like this. Very strange and feels very weird. Adam Jones was dropped, multiple closers dropped, Duvall dropped last week, Betances goes for $6 and no backup bid? Never seen bidding like this.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:34 pm

Oaktown wrote:Going more closely through the FAAB in this league is very strange. So many bids that end in 0 and 5, unlike any league I have seen. How does Darvish get no backup bid and how does Joey Votto get picked up for $25? I have played in a ton of NFBC leagues and never seen anything like this. Very strange and feels very weird. Adam Jones was dropped, multiple closers dropped, Duvall dropped last week, Betances goes for $6 and no backup bid? Never seen bidding like this.
Sounds fishy as hell to me.

Money

Post by Money » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:53 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
Oaktown wrote:Going more closely through the FAAB in this league is very strange. So many bids that end in 0 and 5, unlike any league I have seen. How does Darvish get no backup bid and how does Joey Votto get picked up for $25? I have played in a ton of NFBC leagues and never seen anything like this. Very strange and feels very weird. Adam Jones was dropped, multiple closers dropped, Duvall dropped last week, Betances goes for $6 and no backup bid? Never seen bidding like this.
Sounds fishy as hell to me.
I agree with both of you. I thought I'd put it out there and let others be the judge of it. I think the NFBC should at very least look at this league. Some of these guys were 100% owned prior to being dropped. Is one player feeding all of these players back into the FAAB?

It's probably just a perfect storm, but it is a storm that should be looked at.
Joe

edelman24

Post by edelman24 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:57 pm

I just went through and looked at this and it seriously looks like something fishy is going on. For one he is getting every guy at $20-$30. and not only that there is 1 other team who has dropped all of Archer, Dozier, Calhoun, Pedrioa, and Teheran. Not sure what the deal is here but doesn't seem right if you look at the timing of the drops example Dozier was dropped after he was the hottest player in baseball for 2 weeks. Hope Greg and Tom are looking into this. I have no stake in this race but I can't see it being legit.

edelman24

Post by edelman24 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:03 pm

you also forgot from your faab list that he just picked up Adam Duvall this week for $30. :o

Money

Post by Money » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:06 pm

edelman24 wrote:you also forgot from your faab list that he just picked up Adam Duvall this week for $30. :o
I looked at this prior to the Duvall pickup. Duvall has had a rough month though.
Joe

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:24 pm

I think this league is atypical of most 12-team leagues, and agree that it even seems somewhat fishy (although I hope that is not the case). I'm biased in that I prefer the 15-team format, but I have done enough 12-team leagues in my past to know that they also can be very competitive and challenging. Even recognizing that the 12-team format is not nearly as deep as the 15-team format, however, it seems incredible that folks are dropping the caliber of players listed in the above posts AND that the same team somehow is able to win every FAAB contest to acquire those players. Are the other teams totally asleep at the wheel? Kudos to the one team for executing FAAB very well, but some of those drops and acquisitions by a single team seems incredible to me.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Money

Post by Money » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:I think this league is atypical of most 12-team leagues, and agree that it even seems somewhat fishy (although I hope that is not the case). I'm biased in that I prefer the 15-team format, but I have done enough 12-team leagues in my past to know that they also can be very competitive and challenging. Even recognizing that the 12-team format is not nearly as deep as the 15-team format, however, it seems incredible that folks are dropping the caliber of players listed in the above posts AND that the same team somehow is able to win every FAAB contest to acquire those players. Are the other teams totally asleep at the wheel? Kudos to the one team for executing FAAB very well, but some of those drops and acquisitions by a single team seems incredible to me.

Mike
My initial post was more of a comparison to the $1500 OC leagues. This would not happen in that type of league. The luck of the draw in the $350 leagues is where the winner will almost always come from. It's more than likely that this player stumbled into a (for lack of a better term) derelict league and was able to take advantage of it.
Joe

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Which team/league is this?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:41 pm

We will definitely look closer into this league.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Are there NFBC vets in this league?

Are a lot of folks from the same area?

Perfect storms are perfect storms.
That doesn't have the feel of a perfect storm.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Money wrote:
Bronx Yankees wrote:I think this league is atypical of most 12-team leagues, and agree that it even seems somewhat fishy (although I hope that is not the case). I'm biased in that I prefer the 15-team format, but I have done enough 12-team leagues in my past to know that they also can be very competitive and challenging. Even recognizing that the 12-team format is not nearly as deep as the 15-team format, however, it seems incredible that folks are dropping the caliber of players listed in the above posts AND that the same team somehow is able to win every FAAB contest to acquire those players. Are the other teams totally asleep at the wheel? Kudos to the one team for executing FAAB very well, but some of those drops and acquisitions by a single team seems incredible to me.

Mike
My initial post was more of a comparison to the $1500 OC leagues. This would not happen in that type of league. The luck of the draw in the $350 leagues is where the winner will almost always come from. It's more than likely that this player stumbled into a (for lack of a better term) derelict league and was able to take advantage of it.
Joe, thanks for the clarification. I agree that the questionable decision-making and inactive teams are more likely to be found in the lower-priced leagues. Yeah, I guess based on perhaps a lower level of competition, I also would bet on the overall winner in this contest coming from a $350 league and not a $750 or $1500 league.

I will say, however, that I have found all of the NFBC leagues that I've done challenging, including the lower-priced ones, and have never come across a situation where so many high quality players are available in FAAB and a single team winds up getting them all (although my NFBC experience is very heavily weighted toward 15-team leagues). Even in some of the lower-priced satellite leagues (I'm only doing one this year), while there may be a few teams that give up as the season winds down, the vast majority of teams are active, competitive, and well-managed insofar as I can tell. Again, assuming everything is legit, serious kudos to that team for doing an absolutely superb job handling FAAB and taking advantage of the opportunities. Taking a thought from another of today's thread, perhaps there is a fair amount of luck involved in that some leagues simply are more competitive than others.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Donacion

Post by Donacion » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:33 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Which team/league is this?
I believe it's the team in 2nd place overall in the online. When I saw this post I took a look it doesn't seem right. In my mind if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck it's a duck.

Money

Post by Money » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Donacion wrote:
I believe it's the team in 2nd place overall in the online. When I saw this post I took a look it doesn't seem right. In my mind if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck it's a duck.
It's actually league 3915. To answer Dan I don't recognize any of the team names in the league. We're kind of a self policing group. Greg is looking into it and he'll give us his thoughts. It's very odd but I do believe that these things can happen in very large overall competitions. Without the knowledge of any technical data I think he just lucked into a league of this type.
Joe

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Obviously my "kudos" comment only applies if everything is legit. If I have time, I will look at his league today and give my thoughts

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Money wrote:
Donacion wrote:
It's actually league 3915. To answer Dan I don't recognize any of the team names in the league. We're kind of a self policing group. Greg is looking into it and he'll give us his thoughts. It's very odd but I do believe that these things can happen in very large overall competitions. Without the knowledge of any technical data I think he just lucked into a league of this type.
We are definitely looking into this and will have an update soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Money wrote:
Donacion wrote:
Looking at the pull-down FAAB results list, it appears the league may have sold out well in advance too .... other leagues drafted around that date were numbered near 4100, whereas this league number was 3915.

Most of these leagues do have quality players available most weeks, but I wonder how many times some of these key pickups ... ... votto, carrasco, lucroy, martinez ... were available in other leagues. Lucroy is the one that really jumps out for me ... was there ever a time this season he didn't look like a top 5 catcher that someone intentionally wanted to drop him because they had 2 better C's on their roster?

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Even more sketchy than the drops are how cheap the OA leader was able to get star players. Any regular league has some questionable drops at times, but those players go for $400+ with many backup bids. Votto for $25 is unlike anything I have seen, as is Lucroy with no backup bids. And it's not inactivity, other teams are bidding, but not heavily on the stars who are dropped? It's all very concerning when you start to really look at how weird the FAAB Results page is.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Signup list for this league ...

8 pm ET
1. Thomas Strals, Spark, Nevada
2. Darren Murphy, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3. Mark Murphy, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4. Paul Massey, Pierre, South Dakota
5. John Stewee, Henderson, Nevada
6. Trevor Murphy, denver, Colorado
7. Bryan Propst, Upper Tract, West Virginia
8. Bob Hagen, Fullerton, North Dakota
9. patrick Hagen, fullerton, north dakota
10. christopher Hagen, ellendale, north dakota
11. Tim Hagen
12. Steve Shields, Metamora, Illinois
13. Joshua Crull, Champaign, Illinois

Pulling up the draft board, team #10 is the overall leader.

Money

Post by Money » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:39 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Signup list for this league ...

8 pm ET
1. Thomas Strals, Spark, Nevada
2. Darren Murphy, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3. Mark Murphy, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4. Paul Massey, Pierre, South Dakota
5. John Stewee, Henderson, Nevada
6. Trevor Murphy, denver, Colorado
7. Bryan Propst, Upper Tract, West Virginia
8. Bob Hagen, Fullerton, North Dakota
9. patrick Hagen, fullerton, north dakota
10. christopher Hagen, ellendale, north dakota
11. Tim Hagen
12. Steve Shields, Metamora, Illinois
13. Joshua Crull, Champaign, Illinois

Pulling up the draft board, team #10 is the overall leader.
You may want to pull this back while Greg is looking into it. This is not going to put anyones mind at ease and it sure doesn't look good.
Joe