Thank you to Greg and the NFBC Family

HOB

Thank you to Greg and the NFBC Family

Post by HOB » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:43 pm

First off I would like to the whole NFFC/NFBC family for the last several years.It has been brought be great joy (and frustration when losing is the norm lol) to play amongst the best fantasy players in the world.

I am posting here after a couple email exchanges with Greg.....who along with Tom....have always answered EVERY email I have ever sent over the past several years....which is impressive considering the sheer amount of emails, phone calls..etc..etc that they must get.

So again...thank you.

It is with Greg's blessing that I am swallowing a ton of pride and am looking to raise some awareness about my seven year old daughter.

She was diagnosed autistic when she was three and several weeks ago we found out that she has Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. The life expectancy for this is 2-3 years......but because of her age and because we caught it BEFORE any damage to her heart....well there is a chance for her.

She is currently being treated at the Childrens Hospital here in Peoria Illinois.

We got back on August 25th in hopes of finding out that her meds are working and that a heart/lung transplant is NOT needed.

With that said.....I am asking for prayers, best wishes or whatever good karma I can get for my daughter.

My work insurance is awesome and out of the 162k worth of bills so far...we only owe 4600 out of pocket. It is with that in mind that I set up a gofundme for her so that we can at least get the meds paid for in full for one year.....and with anything else going towards bills...especially considering there is no cure for this and it will be a life long battle for her.

If nothing else I just ask everyone to go to the page I set up and READ what I posted as it contains her story with this condition. If one person can get some comfort in knowing that they are not in this battle alone...well thats a win in my book.

Again thank you to Greg for allowing me to post this and also thanks to KJ Duke who was one of the first ones to donate when I made a small note on the baseball forums last week when it was first set up.

Thanks again and please at least read the info here and watch the thank you video from the person that truly holds my heart in her hands..my daughter Raine.

http://www.gofundme.com/raineolesen

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Thank you to Greg and the NFBC Family

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:54 pm

You have our FULL support Chris and best of luck to you and your family. As a father of three, I know I'd do ANYTHING to help my kids. You are doing the same and doing the right thing.

I know we have a lot of great folks in the NFFC and NFBC who will do anything they can to help out a fellow owner in this great community. I can't think of a worthier cause. Thanks to anyone who can contribute any amount to Chris's family.

Best of luck to you and your family and you have our prayers and more. Good luck and hopefully everything works out.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Scoony32

Post by Scoony32 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:39 pm

My thoughts are with you and your family Chris. I hope the future is bright for your precious little girl. Much respect to you for having the courage to set up the fund and to Greg/Tom for encouraging the community we have here to help out.

Take care,
Scott Waggener

HOB

Post by HOB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:26 am

Just wanted to post a small update since last nights post. (Posted over at NFFC forums as well)

I just emailed Greg letting him know that I had to spend over 30 minutes just typing up thank yous to everyone that has donated and/or sent best wishes via email or the GoFundMe site.

My wife was literally crying this morning after seeing all the donations come in.

I just want to say thank you once again to everyone here at the NFFC and NFBC community. THIS is why I have never really gotten into the daily leagues and will always come back here when I can. Just simply awesome people either playing and running the place.

Ive often stayed off the forums due to the occasional back and forths that can lead to 23093093290 page threads........but I am telling ya.....when I see my wife crying HAPPY tears........I will be on these forums as long as they are around due to the simple fact that you guys and gals have donated first your time ......and some of you your money.

Much respect and again its all been very appreciated and today has been a good day. We needed this as a family as this Tuesdays doctors visit will dictate alot when it comes to my daughters quality of life moving forward.

I cannot say thanks enough.

PS: I am not sure if the replies I sent out via the gofundme site go directly to your email but if they do it might be in your spam folders.

So thanks again from me and my family.

---Chris Olesen
High Octane Baseball

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:58 am

Chris, this is what a community does for each other. We have an amazing group of guys and gals here who always pull for each other. This is a perfect example of that. THANKS EVERYONE.

If you haven't checked, Chris has now exceeded his goals and there has been more than $2,000 raised since he made this post. You can see that a lot of people have chipped in. Thanks to everyone who helped out and continue to help out. If we can make a difference in their lives and help this little girl out we have to do it. Great job everyone.

Good luck to your whole family Chris. Let's hope that Tuesday is a good day. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family this week.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

HOB

Post by HOB » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:54 am

Woke up this morning to see more donations from the family here and once again my wife AND I were brought to tears from the amount of support we have received.

Thank you so much again to everyone.

Tomorrow is a big day for us but first things first.....we have today.

Later today I will have a special update I will post on the GoFundMe page and I will make sure to share the link. (HINT: Video from the daughter).

Thank you again and I wish nothing but the best for everyone.

HOB

Post by HOB » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 am

Sadly we got some bad news on Tuesday.

The daughters MPAP (pressure on her heart) number went up. This means the meds were not working over the last several weeks. They have doubled her dosage and we go back in two weeks time to see if the number moves at all.

Thanks again for support and continued prayers and best wishes.

HOB

Post by HOB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:36 pm

just another quick update...

We might be heading to St. Louis...anyone familiar with the childrens hospital in the Washington University Clinic?

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Take a look at a Ted talk by Martine Rothblatt. He has a daughter with Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (not sure if that's the same thing), but by his own heroic efforts (aided by a small fortune from inventing Sirius radio) he was able to find a treatment for his daughter's disease.

Having said this I'm sure you've explored every avenue thus far; but I have two friends with orphan diseases and have found that you can't have too much information. Just have to sift through it.

Good luck with your daughter.

Greg
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

HOB

Post by HOB » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Just wanted to provide an update on my daughter. Our most recent stay in Peoria resulted in her MPAP score getting down to 37...this is great news as 45 has always been the magic number for her to get out of the heart failure in the short term.

Thanks again to everyone for their support.....its still appreciated.

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Praying for sustainable and continued improvement!!

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:09 pm

The NFBC family assisting yours. Class act. Our family wishes you and yours the best.

Scott
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:38 pm

Awesome news!!

HOB

Post by HOB » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks guys....we are still seeing people from the NFBC and NFFC donating.....simply amazing. Appreciated beyond what I can express in a forum post.

Its a lifelong battle for my 7 year old autistic daughter but I swear she is putting me and the wife to shame with how tough she is. We are hot messes and she continues to amaze.....

Thank you all again and I hope everyone has a great and safe holiday season this year.

HOB

Post by HOB » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:20 am

Just another thank you to all those that have donated recently.....huge props and my family is more than appreciative of this.

With the deductible for Blue Cross starting over in January this will go a long way in helping offset that.

Thanks again to Greg,Tom and the whole NFFC/NFBC family.

Make a Wish of Illinois has also called (after hearing from Dr. Bash in Peoria) and we hope to do something for my daughter in 2016 before she is unable to travel.

Thanks again.....I cannot say that enough.

HOB

Post by HOB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:29 am

Just a quick update from the latest visit to the childrens hospital in Peoria...

The daughters MPAP number remains at 37.. (25 is normal..and considered at the high end).....which is a good and bad thing. Good that it did not go up....bad that it might mean her body is adjusting to the medicine.

We will go back in six months to get another reading and its hopeful that after a total of nine months on this current medicine that her number will continue to go down and not flatline.

Basically what that number means is her heart is working about 1.5 times harder than a normal heart....which when we started was over 3X (81 MPAP score)......so we are lucky when so many other parents arent.

We go back next month to Peoria for a HD CT scan of her lungs as they continue to look for the root cause of the PH.

Just wanted to say thanks again to the whole NFBC/NFFC family....and obviously good luck to everyone in their upcoming drafts!!

HOB

Post by HOB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Just wanted to give the NFBC/NFFC family a quick update on my daughter as we hit the one year mark of her diagnosis of her pulmonary hypertension.

The summer has been brutal but we have been keeping her indoors and so far so good. We go back in September for her next big check up on her heart in Peoria.

So just wanted to say thanks again to all the prior and continued support.

Means alot!

Thanks again.

Chris Olesen

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:00 am

Chris, my family to yours, we pray for the continued improvement in your daughters' condition.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

HOB

Post by HOB » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Thank you...means alot...really does.

HOB

Post by HOB » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:24 am

Just had our most recent check up and we got some great news and a little bad news...but overall it was a great visit.

The daughters pressure on her heart dropped from 37 to 31 (started at 81 and 25 is normal). This means the meds are working and a heart transplant is not in the immediate future for her.

The bad news we did get was that she continues to lose weight but now that her pressure has gotten into the low 30's we are hoping she starts to fill out a little bit...as if she continues to lose weigh it will only make future potential surgeries problematic.

But overall it was a great day for my daughter and our family.

Thanks again to the NFFC/NFBC family and for Greg and Tom for allowing me to share my story.

Means alot....and good luck to everyone as baseball wraps up and football begins!

sandckaye

Post by sandckaye » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Chris

I have been in this lg sense yr one and I can tell you have never seen a better group of guys to compete with...It only stands to reason that you are getting the response that you are getting..All my children are grown now...My middle child (Stephen ) had a very serious heart problem when he was 18 He will be 50 on the 23rd of this month..It wa only through the grace of God and the prayers of family and friends that we can enjoy his birthday this month..My point is you and your family have the love and support of a VERY large NFBC family ..Have faith because I know first hand.. PRAYER WORKS

Stan

HOB

Post by HOB » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks Stan for the kind words and I cannot agree more about how awesome the NFFC/NFBC family has been.

Just wanted to provide a quick few updates on Raine....

We literally just returned from a one week stay at the amazing Give Kids the World Village in Kissimmee Florida as part of the granting of Raine's Disney Make A Wish. If you do not want to donate to Raine's fund please send them some donations. Just an amazing place.

A huge thank you to the people of Make a Wish Illinois for setting the Wish up and Raine had an amazing time and as a family we have memories that will last a lifetime.

We head back to Peoria in January to test for cystic fibrosis. Raine is coming off an extended bout with pneumonia and her pulmonologist wants to see if she tests positive for CF as that could be the cause of her PH.

Thank you again to everyone that continues to lend support to Raine's PHight.

HOB

Post by HOB » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:20 am

Been a crazy few months but just wanted to provide an update....

Raine just turned 9 here in May and her numbers have stabilized to where she is in the low 30's which is amazing. Right now we are waiting to head back for more tests in September. We were going every month but now its set up for every six months.

She did test negative for CF, so we still are unsure of what is causing the PH.

Apologies for lack of updates the last several months, but we honestly have just been enjoying the coolish summer we have had here in the chicagoland area.

The big fight right now is with the obama care repeal as PH falls under pre existing condition and depending on how that plays out our yearly 10k a year out of pocket cost could go up by quite a bit.

But thanks again to all the NFFC/NFBC guys that donated last year and it was weird not playing in any contests this year for the first time in years.

Good luck to everyone wrapping up baseball and prepping for football.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 pm

Thanks for the update. Sounds pretty promising to me. Best wishes going forward.