And the hits just keep on coming....

Bronx Yankees

Re: And the hits just keep on coming....

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 am

Deadheadz wrote:.

Blue Jays Michael Saunders out til ASB
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/ ... ut-til-asb

I knew this guy was injury-prone recently, but jeez! Stepping on a underground sprinkler and gone for five months?

I can't imagine I'm the only one who does this, but when you see these stories, is your first thought: "Shit, is he on any of my teams and, if so, how many?" I liked Saunders going into this year - injury-risk and all - because I thought he had high upside (assuming health) hitting in that ballpark and in Toronto's lineup. He definitely was a guy I looked at as a fifth OF. Fortunately, after a quick check, I only seemed to have drafted him on one team. Bad for that team, but it could have been worse. (Here's the element of luck, I guess, in that I definitely liked Saunders, but it seems others beat me to the punch far more often than not.)

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:58 am

Tough break, but he can tell people he hurt himself the same way Mickey Mantle did.

Five months seems like a long recovery time simply for meniscus damage.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:05 am

Michael Saunders could be naked in a marshmallow room and have to go to a hospital with a deep cut.
I don't know if younger people even know of Bonanza, GunSmoke, or the RifleMan. If so, they would know that in most westerns, there was an episode where a 'jinxed' fella would come to town and things would immediately go bad for town folk.
Michael Saunders is that guy for fantasy rosters.

Speaking of westerns (like that segue?)...
The RifleMan, Chuck Connors, played for the Cubs and Dodgers in baseball. For the Celtics in basketball. And was drafted by the Chicago Bears. For Connors, getting sent down to the Minors was a good thing. The Cubs top farm team was the Los Angeles Angels. Being close to Hollywood, he decided that baseball was not going to be a career, but acting could.
Connors while in Hollywood, kept close ties with his favorite team, the Dodgers.
He would be instrumental in Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale signing with the Dodgers after holding out together in 1966. Drysdale, Duke Snider, and other Dodgers would appear on the RifleMan, mostly as bad guys.

From Saunders to Connors. I gotta get a life.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:12 am

Not at all Dan. We love you just the way you are. Makes us feel almost normal in comparison! :lol:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Michael Saunders could be naked in a marshmallow room and have to go to a hospital with a deep cut.
I don't know if younger people even know of Bonanza, GunSmoke, or the RifleMan. If so, they would know that in most westerns, there was an episode where a 'jinxed' fella would come to town and things would immediately go bad for town folk.

The RifleMan, Chuck Connors, played for the Cubs and Dodgers in baseball. For the Celtics in basketball. And was drafted by the Chicago Bears. For Connors, getting sent down to the Minors was a good thing. The Cubs top farm team was the Los Angeles Angels. Being close to Hollywood, he decided that baseball was not going to be a career, but acting could.
Connors while in Hollywood, kept close ties with his favorite team, the Dodgers.
He would be instrumental in Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale signing with the Dodgers after holding out together in 1966. Drysdale, Duke Snider, and other Dodgers would appear on the RifleMan, mostly as bad guys.

I'm picturing Dastardly Dick Drysdale squaring off in a gunfight, but instead of a six shooter, he's standing there with nothing but a baseball and a scowl.
Last edited by Yah Mule on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:24 am

"Andrelton Simmons is taking it easy in Braves camp after being diagnosed with a strained oblique.
It's no big deal here in late February. Simmons will likely refrain from throwing and hitting for the next week or two, but he has plenty of time to catch up before the start of the 2015 regular season. The 25-year-old shortstop is aiming for a big bounceback after hitting just .244/.286/.331 with seven home runs in 146 games last summer for Atlanta. "

Right. Strained obliques are famous for their lack of linguring effects...
Attachments
baby-crying-280.jpg
But the Braves were bad enough already!
baby-crying-280.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Regarding Michael Saunders:
Yah Mule wrote:Five months seems like a long recovery time simply for meniscus damage.
And sure enough, his recovery timetable has been revised to 5-6 weeks. Back onto sleeper lists he goes.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:45 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:"Andrelton Simmons is taking it easy in Braves camp after being diagnosed with a strained oblique.
It's no big deal here in late February. Simmons will likely refrain from throwing and hitting for the next week or two, but he has plenty of time to catch up before the start of the 2015 regular season. The 25-year-old shortstop is aiming for a big bounceback after hitting just .244/.286/.331 with seven home runs in 146 games last summer for Atlanta. "

Wayne: Good news/bad news day for your Braves. Sucks that Simmons is hurt already but, hey, on the bright side, Melvin Upton also got hurt, so the team batting average may be on the rise. :D

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:09 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Edwards Kings wrote:"Andrelton Simmons is taking it easy in Braves camp after being diagnosed with a strained oblique.

Wayne: Good news/bad news day for your Braves. Sucks that Simmons is hurt already but, hey, on the bright side, Melvin Upton also got hurt, so the team batting average may be on the rise. :D

Mike
Yes...BUT....Melvin with a full spring training=atrocious. Melvin WITHOUT spring training and knowing the Braves will "rush" their investment back=what exactly IS worse than atrocious!!! :? :twisted:

Gonna be a helluva year...but I do have some predictions:

1) Washington wins the division with the Phillies last, but the Braves are ahead of either the Marlins or the Mutts, not both, in late August. Braves claim moral victory and trading begins.
2) Braves discover a pretty good second baseman (not named Callaspo or Peraza). But with Peraza lighting it up in Gwinnett, the Braves move their new found best friend to third, where his production drops.
3) The Braves slip Markakis through waivers and trade him before September 1 (see #1 above).
4) Minor rebounds to be the mid-rotation rock he was before his tallywacker surgery, but is traded ending the love-hate Braves relationship.
5) Michael Foltynewicz goes to the pen and everyone is scared Kimbrel will be traded. Crystal ball is cloudy on how this one turns out.
6) Alex Wood spends time on the DL with a "minor" elbow strain. TJS announcement some time after they shut him down in September.
7) Manny Banuelos turns golden and makes a nice core with Teheran and Miller.
8) The Braves finally learn to pronounce "Christian Bethancourt" (the "h" is NOT silent) because he turns out to be actually pretty good especially since AJ is catching Millers sinkers which limit his passed balls. BetHancourt steals 10 bases to become the new Russell Martin.
Charles Krauthammer

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 pm

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Chicago White Sox ace Chris Sale suffered a foot injury in an accident at his home and will miss at least three weeks of preparation time for the regular season. :(

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:52 pm

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

GetALife

Post by GetALife » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:22 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Michael Saunders could be naked in a marshmallow room and have to go to a hospital with a deep cut.

You do. And that's why I replied.

Oh yes, this infamous thread we all loved from last year. The arguments over weather we were allowed to complain about players getting injured and the whole bit. LOL....I certainly missed this thread. Now, I haven't decided whether or not to play this year yet......I try to "hold out' myself thinking I might have the discipline to say no. So far it hasn't worked. Get a Life won't go away regardless! Count on that!

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Isn't this thread missing somebody now? :roll: Keep a spot warm for Tanaka, he's next. :(
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry