Best Qualities Down the Stretch

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Based on your experience, what are the best qualiies a fantasy team has down the strtch? I would tend to think with all the pitching injuries and falloffs that continued good starting pitching is the best thing to have and hardest thing to find this late in the year.

Hitting seems more likely to be both healthy and consistent at this point while pitching is much more volatile. But it's also easy to lose hitting points fast with runs and RBI's so bunched up among the teams in a league.

But maybe having good control of the 'isolated' stats, stolen bases and saves gives someone the best edge.

Or maybe it was conserving your faab money so you can now pick up that all important free agent acquisition. Perhaps the best thing to have right now is bucks.

So what do you say? What gives teams their biggest push down the stretch?

[ July 28, 2006, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: bjoak ]
Chance favors the prepared mind.

kgrady

Post by kgrady » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:28 am

I would say that starting pitching is the most important thing down the stretch because it can have the most impact. Position players lose at-bats late in the season to September call-ups. Also, good pitchers can finish strong when facing line-ups with overmatched rookies getting their cups of coffee.

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:53 am

Plus the fact that a very bad pitching outing will hurt you far more than an 0-fer on hitting...

nydownunder

Post by nydownunder » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:30 am

Starting Pitching because of scarcity and AB's (pure and simple). We're getting close to that time where weekly decisions, by both you and MLB managers, make or break you.

Then again, this Sunday's FAAB is big for two reasons - players values drop or jump in the next few days and so do many team's remaining FAAB$. The latter of which makes easy pickins for those who have been frugal and survived through such frugalness up to now. I know a few in my league are in such a position.
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:38 am

Originally posted by nydownunder:

Starting Pitching because of scarcity and AB's (pure and simple). We're getting close to that time where weekly decisions, by both you and MLB managers, make or break you.

Then again, this Sunday's FAAB is big for two reasons - players values drop or jump in the next few days and so do many team's remaining FAAB$. The latter of which makes easy pickins for those who have been frugal and survived through such frugalness up to now. I know a few in my league are in such a position. Yeah, I see Cordero is on the rise. He's taken in my leagues, though. I think lack of funds can hurt you more than having money can help you. I just don't see how someone could get by with $7. Even $50 is hard to get by on--and there are a lot of teams in that position. No matter who you picked up for $300, he wasn't worth the kind of hole you put yourself in.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:15 pm

I totally disagree - people who picked up Verlander can attest to this. The good pickups in the beginning of the year (dan uggla for example) can pay off in spades. Of course, the people who spent 300+ on craig wilson (like me) or 800+ on wily mo pena (not me) are bumming about their lack of cash...

Spy

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:25 pm

Originally posted by Spyhunter:

I totally disagree - people who picked up Verlander can attest to this. The good pickups in the beginning of the year (dan uggla for example) can pay off in spades. Of course, the people who spent 300+ on craig wilson (like me) or 800+ on wily mo pena (not me) are bumming about their lack of cash...

Spy Well, it's great to get Verlander, but at what price? I'd argue that if you spent $996 on him, you've doomed yourself regardless of how good he is. If those people have at least $100 left then everything's worked out. Keep an eye on Team RamRod (charming name) in the 2/21 satellite league. He has a good team and is in 2nd place, but he's never going to get to first with $8 left. I don't think he'll end in the cellar, but he can't even replace any injuries respectably with that much money and he's only going to go down.

SlackerDan

Post by SlackerDan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:34 pm

If you really breakdown the big money FAAB players taken, how many players really paid off for the owners so far this year? ... Weaver, YES, Hamels, not yet... closers ? for everyone one that pays off, 3 or 4 fail. How many people wasted their FAAB on Kolb last week ? Owners are going to spend big money on the chance to get 1 player can really make an difference for the year. How many players in FAAB this year would be a top 15 round players ? .... but to answer your question, I think you play the game the same way you started the season. In order to win, you need to go after each catagory hard. Some of the moves that are made, at first glance might not look very smart, but hopefully they pay off for the catagory. Slackerbrothers are thinking about benching Helton this week in favor of Kendrick ... just for the SB opportunity. 7 games to 6 games, Helton's career 2nd half 330+ average against and guy with not even 100 ABS in a career ... risky move, but playing to win, week 1 or week 17, you have to take risks to win this thing.

SlackerDan

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Originally posted by SlackerDan:

If you really breakdown the big money FAAB players taken, how many players really paid off for the owners so far this year? ... Weaver, YES, Hamels, not yet... closers ? for everyone one that pays off, 3 or 4 fail. How many people wasted their FAAB on Kolb last week ? Owners are going to spend big money on the chance to get 1 player can really make an difference for the year. How many players in FAAB this year would be a top 15 round players ? .... but to answer your question, I think you play the game the same way you started the season. In order to win, you need to go after each catagory hard. Some of the moves that are made, at first glance might not look very smart, but hopefully they pay off for the catagory. Slackerbrothers are thinking about benching Helton this week in favor of Kendrick ... just for the SB opportunity. 7 games to 6 games, Helton's career 2nd half 330+ average against and guy with not even 100 ABS in a career ... risky move, but playing to win, week 1 or week 17, you have to take risks to win this thing.

SlackerDan You must have some kind of hitting to not have room for Helton and Kendrick.

SlackerDan

Post by SlackerDan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:23 pm

I am having a pretty decent so far this year, I cant complain... Howie Kendrick is on my bench, I have Kent on the DL and no place to put him once he is back and when BJ Upton gets called up .. not sure what to do with him. And if the DRAYS finally realize it would benefit the team to bring up Delmon Young, well, I might have to bench S. Green. Good stuff all around. I wish we were able to trade so I could address the catagory needs by trading for a player. Oh well, will just have to work with what I have.

SlackerDan

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:58 pm

Originally posted by bjoak:

quote:Originally posted by Spyhunter:

Spy Well, it's great to get Verlander, but at what price? I'd argue that if you spent $996 on him, you've doomed yourself regardless of how good he is. If those people have at least $100 left then everything's worked out. Keep an eye on Team RamRod (charming name) in the 2/21 satellite league. He has a good team and is in 2nd place, but he's never going to get to first with $8 left. I don't think he'll end in the cellar, but he can't even replace any injuries respectably with that much money and he's only going to go down.
[/QUOTE]of course, but they DIDNT spend 996 they spent like 300... People who spend like 800-1000 faab early are crazy, I agree you need some $ left, but my point is that there are many players picked up who do well, and a player picked up early who does well is worth a ton more than a september call up! People like Anibel Sanchez, Nolasco, Verlander, Uggla etc... etc...

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:29 am

I know this is the time of year where deep debate occurs on these boards on what went right or wrong. They are usually great debates and I usually learn something. This debate to me though misses the simplest points and over complicates a subject.

First point

It is not when you spend your FAAB dollars as much as who you spend it on 95% who 5% when. I would much rather make a wise choice in FAAB in April rather than July.

2nd Point

Did you have a FAAB strategy after the draft and did you execute relatively well? For instance half the teams in this contest say I will fix saves with FAAB only a few of those did were you one of them? How good your FAAB strategy was and how you executed it was more important than the whens of execution and how much money you have left on Aug 1st.

2 other thoughts judge your FAAB relative to the number of dollars remaining to the active teams in your league. 150 dollars in league A may be essentially the same as 400 dollars at this point in league B.

1 caveat (did I spell it right bjoak) to that- one I agree with bjoak you need some sort of protection coming down the stretch. 8 dollars nets you no injury protection and more importantly if I know you have 8 dollars left and I obviously know the categories you have fringe points in I can easily keep players away from you with 9 dollar bids the last couple weeks of the year. If you have 100 left it makes it light years more difficult to do.

nydownunder

Post by nydownunder » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:09 am

I am not sure how much Verlander went for but I would guess Uggla was picked up fairly cheap (on avg). With that in mind, as well as someone else's point made on this board, I don't think many $250+ players have worked out for many.

Some managers, certainly not myself, will be fishing in a barrel after this week because of the money they have left over and the fact 2 months still remain. For example, a certain AL SP to be (currenlty in AAA) will come cheaply for those lucky few in the coming weeks. There are a few other non-Tampa Bay prospects out there as well that will get plenty of playing time down the stretch. If your sitting with average and middle age players for non-contenders, your AB's are about to suffer dearly.
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:29 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

I know this is the time of year where deep debate occurs on these boards on what went right or wrong. They are usually great debates and I usually learn something. This debate to me though misses the simplest points and over complicates a subject.

First point

It is not when you spend your FAAB dollars as much as who you spend it on 95% who 5% when. I would much rather make a wise choice in FAAB in April rather than July.

2nd Point

Did you have a FAAB strategy after the draft and did you execute relatively well? For instance half the teams in this contest say I will fix saves with FAAB only a few of those did were you one of them? How good your FAAB strategy was and how you executed it was more important than the whens of execution and how much money you have left on Aug 1st.

2 other thoughts judge your FAAB relative to the number of dollars remaining to the active teams in your league. 150 dollars in league A may be essentially the same as 400 dollars at this point in league B.

1 caveat (did I spell it right bjoak) to that- one I agree with bjoak you need some sort of protection coming down the stretch. 8 dollars nets you no injury protection and more importantly if I know you have 8 dollars left and I obviously know the categories you have fringe points in I can easily keep players away from you with 9 dollar bids the last couple weeks of the year. If you have 100 left it makes it light years more difficult to do. I agree completely, especially with the last paragraph. My point wasn't about whether you got Verlander or didn't get him. My point was more that you cannot survive by having a black hole in your lineup when someone goes down. If you only have a few dollars left, you cannot buy anyone who even receives playing time in most cases and certainly not someone worthwhile. Maybe some of you guys never have to replace players, but even when someone is day-to-day you need to rent someone for a week for a few bucks. You cannot do that with $8 no matter whether you spent the rest of your money on Verlander or Hamels and I don't think you can win that way.

[ July 31, 2006, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: bjoak ]

JEagle

Post by JEagle » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:21 am

It is definitely wise to try and hold on to at least a couple of hundred if possible..in my satelite league i lost chipper, weeks, colon & wigginton all last week..its hard enough to replace them as is..but if i had $10 left i would be even more done then I already am
Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I'm bad....but I always try real hard.

Diamond Dogs

Post by Diamond Dogs » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:24 pm

My views on the original question:

Based on your experience, what are the best qualiies a fantasy team has down the strtch? To some degree, the best qualities down the stretch would probably vary by what position your team is in.

Speaking from my own viewpoint, ( :( being 35.5 from first and 22 points out of a money position in my league :( ), I see an increasing need to maintain control of the categories I am dominating or competing in while trying to make the right choices with the lineups and FA pickups to try and gain every point available in other categories that I'm lacking in.

As for people who are currently in command of the standings or close behind the leaders in both individual leagues and the overall championship, I would tend to think along the lines of SlackerDan:

Originally posted by SlakerDan:

.... I think you play the game the same way you started the season. In order to win, you need to go after each catagory hard.After all, if you're in command or contention for a top spot, what you've been doing working pretty good so far, so keep drivin' hard.

However I think both of the above scenarios kind of fall in line with:

But maybe having good control of the 'isolated' stats FAAB are important when your team is:

1- Not position flexible and/or comprised of high risk players

2- Failing in categories that are needed to gain position in your league.

3- Working to acquire free agents for certain categories during the season.

If your FAAB's are low and fall into one of the above situations, your going to regret that early spend and it may cost you a top position in the end.

Overall, (knowing that the top positions in many leagues and the overall championships are eventually decided by single digit and fractional point differences), I believe that the best qualities to have down the stretch are:

1- Consistency in the categories that you are dominating and/or competing in.

2- Correct decision making each week in an effort to gain every available point you can grab in any and EVERY category you can possibly gain points in

Oh ya', you might want to have some luck on your side as well. :D

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:35 pm

Overall, (knowing that the top positions in many leagues and the overall championships are eventually decided by single digit and fractional point differences), I believe that the best qualities to have down the stretch are:

2- Correct decision making each week in an effort to gain every available point you can grab in any and EVERY category you can possibly gain points in So you're saying the best quality is to do well in every category. Uh, yeah, of course, but the point was to kind of narrow it down to maybe one aspect of teams that will most likely continue to be strong.

Perhaps you are saying carrying a healthy team and continuing to make faab pickups that will improve your weak areas? That is a little more precise.

Diamond Dogs

Post by Diamond Dogs » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:20 am

To clarify both points in my previous post:

This implies that a fantasy team needs to maintain consistent performance from here to the end of the season with particular emphasis on categories that the team is competetive in. So the quality necessary to have down the strech would be "Consistency". This quality is, to a large degree, out of our control as fantasy team owners, but nonetheless is necessary if winning your league or the overall championship is to become a reality.

2- Correct decision making each week in an effort to gain every available point you can grab in any and EVERY category you can possibly gain points in.

This point notes that just as in real life baseball, the decisions that the managers make down the stretch will utimately make or break the teams chances of winning regardless of consistent performance. So to sum up the necessary quality here I would say it is the "Effective Decision Making", or "Team Management". This is the single quality that is totally in the owners control and would probably rank higher than the first quality.

If you look at the NFBC history over the last 3 years what stands out is that they have been able to pick teams via the draft that deliver consistent performance and that they make sound, effective decisions throughout the season(s) via FAAB and lineup formation that ultimately help to maintain that high performance level.