Newbie Question

Coach JP

Newbie Question

Post by Coach JP » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 pm

So this is my first time playing high stakes fantasy baseball -- had a quick question, if someone doesn't mind?

I looked at last years overall winner and noticed they had 120 wins and 1400 strikeouts -- If I do my math correctly I assume that's 7 starters and a few relievers being used all year?

Is it a common strategy for teams to use a 6-7 man rotation in the high stakes format? Can you win by just using 5-6 starters or do you have to get up to about 2,000 IP?

Any newbie help is appreciated.

Atlas

Re: Newbie Question

Post by Atlas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, 6-7 starters does seem to run the average.

It may vary though, as a team may decide to give up on saves or concentrate on wins and K's if the in-season situation dictates a shift. It may also depend on how many reliable relievers a team is able to field, for one reason or another.

Hopes this helps.
Good luck.

sethpoppel

Re: Newbie Question

Post by sethpoppel » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 pm

The way one can increase the "effective" number of starters is by streaming in 2-start starters by taking people from the free agent pool who have 2-start weeks coming up in one or two weeks with favorable matchups. Thus, while you may have e.g. 6 starters active in any given week, by the end of the year you wind up with the # of starts that having 7 active full time might yield. Good luck and enjoy!!