Tampa League 3

Greg Ambrosius

Tampa League 3

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:32 am

The NFBC's main event in Tampa begins at 1 p.m. EST on Saturday, March 18th at the Tampa Hyatt Downtown. Here is the draft order for Tampa League 3:

TAMPA LEAGUE 3

1. Andrew Fiore (NY)

2. Geoff Sullivan (NY)

3. Derrick Stoudymire (NY)

4. Wayne Edwards (TAM)

5. Enrique Castillo (TAM)

6. Jerry Baresich (NY)

7. Brian Goldblatt (TAM)

8. Tom Lord (TAM)

9. Joseph Pettit (TAM)

10. Jim Christie (LV)

11. Mark Cappelano (TAM)

12. Erik Konyk (TAM)

13. Timothy Stevens (LV)

14. Rey Diaz (TAM)

15. Todd Zola (TAM)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Rey

Tampa League 3

Post by Rey » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:08 pm

Well guys, look's like we're the Rodney Dangerfield of leagues this year. Jeez.

Anyways, Looking forward to a great season. Good luck to all.

Edwards Kings

Tampa League 3

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:09 am

Yes...we are just a bunch of newbies (afterall this is only my third year in this event), fantasy baseball rookies like Zola, and misfits!

:D

Gonna be a great year! I look forward to meeting you all in Tampa, on the phone and on the boards...good luck, no injuries, may all of your sleepers wake up and here is hoping you all finish second! :cool:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Sack

Tampa League 3

Post by Sack » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:37 am

The land of misfit toys. C'mon Jim Christie ... make us CDM POSTERS proud!

Edwards Kings

Tampa League 3

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:03 am

Originally posted by Sack:

The land of misfit toys. C'mon Jim Christie ... make us CDM POSTERS proud! The Misfit Toys....hmmmm...I think you have hit on the (un)official name for our league!

;)
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Tampa League 3

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:55 am

I enjoyed the draft Saturday, gentlemen. I think we are going to have a competitive league!

Good Luck! No Injuries! Hope all your sleepers wake up! And hope you all finish second overall! :D
Charles Krauthammer

Rey

Tampa League 3

Post by Rey » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:03 am

With all the talk on the boards about Cotts, Burgos and Miceli being the hot commodities in FAAB, I found it curious to note that our draft drafted all 3 of them. For a league that was getting bashed pre and post draft for not being up to snuff, I think that is a nice feather in our caps. Good job.

cindy

Tampa League 3

Post by cindy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:47 am

Hey all, after close to a month I see that there are 3 teams from Tampa 3 in the top 13 overall. I guess I was right about the league being weak, just had the stud owners wrong. Congrats thus far. P.S. How did The Usual Suspects get (2) second round picks:)

Gordon Gekko

Tampa League 3

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:41 am

Originally posted by cindy:

Hey all, after close to a month I see that there are 3 teams from Tampa 3 in the top 13 overall. I guess I was right about the league being weak, just had the stud owners wrong. Congrats thus far. P.S. How did The Usual Suspects get (2) second round picks:) it will be interesting to see how the phone league plays out.

Edwards Kings

Tampa League 3

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:44 am

Cindy, Cindy, Cindy...you really do not know what you are talking about, do you? :rolleyes:

Congrats to Tom and Erik who are leading the way for us now! Never look back...you never know who might be gaining on you! :D

I had a miracle night last night...no pitchers blew up for me and I had FOUR SB in one night...could be a new trend!

Look out for Rey, Enrique, and Mark...they all have gotten off to a good start this week!
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Tampa League 3

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:51 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by cindy:

Hey all, after close to a month I see that there are 3 teams from Tampa 3 in the top 13 overall. I guess I was right about the league being weak, just had the stud owners wrong. Congrats thus far. P.S. How did The Usual Suspects get (2) second round picks:) it will be interesting to see how the phone league plays out. [/QUOTE]No matter what Tampa #3 does, half the people will have said we did fine and half would have said "Told you so!" As I have said before, the owners were knowledgable, prepared, and made no embarassing gaffs during the draft. You really cannot ask for more. The FAAB moves have be in line with what I have seen before (except that most of the early save opportunities for most other leagues involving FAAB did not affect this league as with the exception of Worrell, all of the "new" closers were already on rosters). All of this about Tampa #3 being easier or less knowledgable is tripe.

[ April 26, 2006, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Edwards Kings ]
Charles Krauthammer

cindy

Tampa League 3

Post by cindy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:26 am

How can you explain one of the teams getting 2 clear cut second round picks, if everyone was prepared I find that hard to understand. Also interesting is the split within this league. There are 3 teams in the top 13 overall and then 6 teams ranked 250 or less at this point in time. That does not sound balanced to me. To win the 100k, your best shot is to be placed in a league with the most "fish"...Tampa 3 has a good shot at seeing someone holding that check in October if you ask me.

Gordon Gekko

Tampa League 3

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:52 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

No matter what Tampa #3 does, half the people will have said we did fine and half would have said "Told you so!" As I have said before, the owners were knowledgable, prepared, and made no embarassing gaffs during the draft. All of this about Tampa #3 being easier or less knowledgable is tripe. the only thing i said is "it will be interesting to see how the phone league plays out."

since this league did not draft the same way EVERY other league did, it makes the results "interesting" to me (and others)

Edwards Kings

Tampa League 3

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:36 am

Originally posted by cindy:

How can you explain one of the teams getting 2 clear cut second round picks, if everyone was prepared I find that hard to understand. Also interesting is the split within this league. There are 3 teams in the top 13 overall and then 6 teams ranked 250 or less at this point in time. That does not sound balanced to me. To win the 100k, your best shot is to be placed in a league with the most "fish"...Tampa 3 has a good shot at seeing someone holding that check in October if you ask me. I can explain someone getting two "clear cut" second round picks because there is no "clear cut" for the second round, first round, third round or any round. Poll the 330 owners prior to the draft and we would not even have a "clear cut" Top Ten. Say six or eight of the top ten in various positions, but there would be as many as eight or ten players chosen for the final couple of postions based on our individual preferences. Also, if you looked at the other leagues objectively, I am sure you will find other "anomolies" based on your opinion.

As to some of us (including me) being in the bottom, two weeks ago Tampa #3 was leading the league cumulative points. This was taken as evidence by some that it was proof that Tampa #3 was easier as a league than the rest. Now, six of us have had bad runs and it is proof that Tampa #3 was easier as a league than the rest. Can't have it both ways.

Yes, Tampa #3 has a good shot at having the winner come from the league. As I have said all along, we appear to have some good owners. But our chances are not materially better or worse than any other league.

In order to prove your point, what would we have to do? Not challenge for the overall winner with have all teams within a few points of 80 total league points and close to each other at year end? Not going to happen. I doubt seriously if even the vaunted NY #7 (not a slam folks, just an example because so many former champs were mentioned to be in that league) could make that claim especially as of today the team ranked 330 is from NY #7 if I am not mistaken.

Cindy, Tampa #3 is on par with the rest of the leagues. Believe it or not, it is up to you. I am through with the topic.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Tampa League 3

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:38 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

No matter what Tampa #3 does, half the people will have said we did fine and half would have said "Told you so!" As I have said before, the owners were knowledgable, prepared, and made no embarassing gaffs during the draft. All of this about Tampa #3 being easier or less knowledgable is tripe. the only thing i said is "it will be interesting to see how the phone league plays out."

since this league did not draft the same way EVERY other league did, it makes the results "interesting" to me (and others)
[/QUOTE]My bad, Mark. Thought you were making a value judgement. Sorry!
Charles Krauthammer

Tampa Munchers

Tampa League 3

Post by Tampa Munchers » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:33 am

Cindy,

What do you mean when you say The Usual Suspects has 2 second rd players? Did Sizemore go in the second round anywhere? If so, they paid too much for him

cindy

Tampa League 3

Post by cindy » Mon May 01, 2006 5:20 am

The avg. draft position for Sizemore was 28-29th. He went in the 2nd rnd. in 14 of the 22 main event leagues and both Ultimate leagues. As a matter of fact, the heralded CC Desperado's team took him with the 18th overall pick in the Ultimate draft, hard to argue with that.

Mudster

Tampa League 3

Post by Mudster » Mon May 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Being that Grady avg'd 28-29 overall does not make him a clear cut 2nd rounder at all. What that does mean is that, on the average, 13-14 teams per league just didn't see him worthy of a 2nd round pick.....

cindy

Tampa League 3

Post by cindy » Mon May 01, 2006 1:16 pm

I'm not looking to beat a dead horse here, but when 16 of 24 leagues draft Sizemore in the 2nd round and his avg. draft position falls into that of the 2nd rnd, that doesn't make him a 3rd rnd pick The Usual Suspects look very strong on paper right now, but he needs to secure a 2nd closer in order to compete for the 100k. If that happens I gotta say, I like his chances at the moment.

Mudster

Tampa League 3

Post by Mudster » Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 pm

How can you explain one of the teams getting 2 clear cut second round picks, if everyone was prepared I find that hard to understand

Just to beat this poor dead horse some more..

If 1/3 of the leagues drafted him in the 3rd and he only averaged being in spot 28-29 overall, he is NOT a clear cut 2nd rounder and that must also mean that 1/3 of the other leagues are loaded with fishes also. Being in this league for a few years does not qualify anyone to be an expert and being a rookie in this league does not automatically designate anyone to the trash heap. There are too many star players off to bad starts and crap players off to huge starts to project where the money will fall. Proclaiming you know otherwise just declares your arrogance and ignorance.

cindy

Tampa League 3

Post by cindy » Tue May 02, 2006 3:01 am

[

[ May 02, 2006, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: cindy ]

cindy

Tampa League 3

Post by cindy » Tue May 02, 2006 3:05 am

If 1/3 of the leagues drafted him in the 3rd and he only averaged being in spot 28-29 overall, he is NOT a clear cut 2nd rounder -Wow I wish I were in this league. If there are 30 picks in the first 2 rnds and someones avg. draft position falls between 16 and 30, again, that doesn't make him a consensus 3rd rnd pick.

that must also mean that 1/3 of the other leagues are loaded with fishes also -I haven't looked, but most likely yes.

There are too many star players off to bad starts and crap players off to huge starts to project where the money will fall. Proclaiming you know otherwise just declares your arrogance and ignorance.

-I am not proclaiming to "KNOW" anything, it's called a "prediction" on who I think will win the 100k. You should be happy that you are in that league, it gives you a legit shot also.

JEagle

Tampa League 3

Post by JEagle » Wed May 03, 2006 6:16 am

just curious as to when grady Sizemore became Rickey Henderson??
Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I'm bad....but I always try real hard.

nydownunder

Tampa League 3

Post by nydownunder » Thu May 04, 2006 10:11 am

Clarification required...NY League #3 has 3 of last year's 7 NY League champs, incl the overall champ.

If you all want to know what the toughest league is then add up the cumulative stats (AVG, ERA, and WHIP might need some assumptions unless you want to spend a lot of time) and then rank them across all 22 leagues and apply the appropriate points and sum them for each league. No the current website method doesn't essentially do the same.

This method will prove whether all the leagues managers made the right 'active' and 'bench' decisions to maximize stats, as well as assuring the best players in the unverise were spread across all 15 managers within the league, thus some were not rotting on some champs bench. Arguably, the more stars stuffed or sitting on some manager(s) bench, because he has that depth, the weaker the league and this method will show that because the leagues overall cumulative stats will be lower.

[ May 04, 2006, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: nydownunder ]
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

Edwards Kings

Tampa League 3

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:29 am

For anyone who was wondering how the "phone league" is doing, right now the lead for Tampa #3 has changed hands. We have five teams with 93 points or better with three with 110 points or better and only 2.5 points separates the top three positions. These five teams are in the Top 100 overall and several have been on the leader board during most of the year. However, currently, the highest placed position is 12th overall.

The largest class of owners (six other teams) have points between 76 and 84 points and are swapping positions in the middle of the pack.

Four teams have not had their seasons go anywhere near as planned and have 63 points or less.

In short, a balanced, very competitive league. No one team in Tampa #3 is running away with the league or the NFBC. Hopefully this will calm some competitors nerves next year if we have to have another "phone league".

[ August 10, 2006, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Edwards Kings ]
Charles Krauthammer