Hosmer vs Teixeira or Respect to the 'Experts'

DOUGHBOYS

Hosmer vs Teixeira or Respect to the 'Experts'

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:38 am

Thankfully, the 'look at my team' portion of our show is almost over.
Say what you want about 'experts', but they have to look at these types of posts and e-mails all year. If it were me, I'd probably go all Vermeilesque on them and tell them to put their bigboy pants on, and look at the minuses and pluses themselves.
When Thursday gets here, those post stop because we'll have enough problems with our own teams to worry about theirs.

'Value' starts Thursday. Thank you! Actually, value was added to some rosters yesterday. If you drafted Colon, Wilhelmson, or some other known entity, I will be the first to say that you got value. It is the only time in ANY draft that somebody actually got 'value'. After the season starts, it won't matter if you got your best player in round one or six, you're just glad you have him.

Usually, I won't chime in on player vs. player posts. ANY player can be of value if put in the right situation on a roster. A thread has started in General Discussion about the merits of Eric Hosmer going high in the second round. The same thing happened before Joey Votto was cemented in a first round. Some folks don't believe that a player should rise to such heights so quickly.
Why not?
Look, some kids that come up just 'get it' immediately. Ryan Braun did it. Albert Pujols did it. It happens.
A player comes along and never sees hardly more than a first round selection for their entire career. I happen to believe that Hosmer is one of those players.
Kansas City does not do many things right, but they have done things right with Hosmer.

Some drafters prefer 'crusty dusties' to kids and will compare life long stats with the short time a kid has been in the majors. Mark Teixeira has been going where Hosmer was taken yesterday. I like Teixeira. I really do. Consistency has been branded on him. It shouldn't, but it has.
Gradually, over his career, Teixeira has become more 'pull happy'. His batting average has suffered for it. While formerly being a 'consistent 30/100/300 hitter, now, he has become a better role model for Adam Dunn and Carlos Pena.
The shift frustrates him. Enough to put out to the press that he would lay down bunts this year.
Gee, quite a threat from a cleanup hitter. THAT will show them!
Teixeira has had the good fortune to play in two of the best venues for hitters in baseball in New York and Texas.
Let's put it this way, if Teixeira and Hosmer played in Oakland this year, which player would be more highly drafted?
I think it would be Hosmer.
Hosmer's game plays in whatever venue. The ball park may even assist in a higher average and he may thieve a couple more bags than in KC.
Teixeira's power output would be limited. There, one sentence and we've taken away the crux of why drafters take Teixeira.
At best, Teixeira is a three category player. He may be THE BEST three category player. But, Hosmer is a five category player. Rare for a first baseman.

If you took Teixeira over Hosmer, you're ok. You'll just need more batting average around you and a little more speed. It's the great thing about our game. Almost anything can be remedied. In some cases, Teixeira may even be the better fit.
Standing alone though, I'll take my chances with Hosmer.

Man!
Here's a nice post about only four more days of 'Rate my team' and it turns into another rant. Another reason why I couldn't be an 'expert'. Some schmo would send me a question and I would go off on something he never asked about.
Respect to the experts.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Schwks

Re: Hosmer vs Teixeira or Respect to the 'Experts'

Post by Schwks » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:57 am

Dough are you planning on posting your team and thoughts on your own draft...your readership has been awaiting this moment for four months.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:21 am

Alright Doug, you asked for it!
I'll post the first Main team today and the second one tomorrow. Not for effect or anything like that. Our local softball leagues start today and I'll be supervising out there all day.

C- Carlos Santana
C- Jarrod Saltalamacchia
1B- Freddy Freeman
2B- Robinson Cano
3B- Scott Rolen
SS- Erick Aybar
MI- Danny Espinoza
CI- Adam Dunn
OF- Alex Gordon
OF- Brennan Boesch
OF- Dexter Fowler
OF- JD Martinez
OF- Lorenzo Cain
U- Yonder Alonso

P- Justin Verlander
P- Stephen Strasburg
P- Jordan Zimmerman
P- Hiroki Kuroda
P- Phil Hughes
P- Luke Hochevar
P- Rick Porcello
P- Craig Kimbrel
P- Jason Motte

BN- Brett Cecil
BN- Jeff Samardzjia
BN- Kris Medlen
BN- Santiago Casilla
BN- Mike Aviles
BN- Travis Snider
BN- Eduardo Nunez

I'm not asking for any comments. Quite simply, it is my team. I know the strengths and weaknesses.
We all like our own teams to a degree after drafting. It's the ones we look at a week later and give ourselves a V-8 slap in the face that concern us. I haven't had to do that with this team, so I'm in the ball game :)
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Sorry, I promised I'd post my other Main Event team...

C- Matt Wieters
C- Rod Barajas
1B- Eric Hosmer
2B- Howierd Kendrick (not a typo-half list him as one name, half the other, I settled on Howierd)
3B- David Freese
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
MI- Danny Espinoza
CI- Freddie Freeman
OF- Andre Ethier
OF- Coco Crisp
OF- Brennan Boesch
OF- Cody Ross
OF- Willie Bloomquist
U- Zack Cozart

P- Zack Greinke
P- Yu Darvish
p- Chris Sale
P- Colby Lewis
P- Bud Norris
P- Mark Buehrle
P- Phil Hughes
P- Joel Hanrahan
P- Matt Capps

BN- Tim Hudson
BN- Drew Pomeranz
BN- Jake Westbrook
BN- Trevor Bauer
BN- Andrew Cashner
BN- Jesus Guzman
BN- Eduardo Nunez
On my tombstone-

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Say it ain't so dough ! What happened to showme-showme? Especially considering the guy is playing in Missou of all places ? :shock: Were you LOL after you made that pick ? Did your cheetoh covered fingers mispick ? Or did you have a change in heart after reading the 1st round value in the 2nd round write up in Baseball Xperts R Us.com ?

I don't think I know you anymore...

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:15 pm

like i posted in the other thread- we lost a member of missou missou.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Sometimes we have to give in a little, fellas. :D
Blame Adam Dunn. If I can't trust him to hit 38 homers, who can I trust?
I'll go to the Dark Side for a year and see what it's like.
If successful, Missou/Missou may be in the rear view mirror :D
On my tombstone-

OaktownSteve

Post by OaktownSteve » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Know how many home runs Hosmer hit against left handers last year? One. Know what his BB% was? 6%. For comparison's sake, Ichiro's career rate is 6.1%. In nearly a full year's worth of at bats, he hit 19 home runs.

I love Hosmer. He's a ballplayer and he's going to be really good for a long time. But there are couple of ways his season could go sideways and it's not impossible that some of the stuff above has to be worked out this year.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:18 am

headhunters wrote:like i posted in the other thread- we lost a member of missou missou.
He is pretty close to being branded and drummed out of the corp...

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Wow Chuck Conner! I forgot about that TV series. Nice connection with baseball. Former member of the Dodgers at 1st base.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:47 am

Walla Walla wrote:Wow Chuck Conner! I forgot about that TV series. Nice connection with baseball. Former member of the Dodgers at 1st base.
I do not know why I remember all these obscure series, but I still remember the "Branded" them and the way he had his broken sabre turned into a long knife.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:07 am

I'm with you, Wayne!
'Whatever you do for the rest of your life you must pruuuuuuve..... YOU'RE A MAN!
Loved that show.
On my tombstone-