Stick a fork in the Rockies

Liquidhippo

Post by Liquidhippo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:22 pm

They'll need a miracle to beat Cliff Lee, let alone win game 5 in phily.

Good thing they kept walking all those Phily hitters.

Cowboy Joe

Post by Cowboy Joe » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:19 am

I attended last night's game and would advise against trying to stick a fork into either team until you allow them to thaw for a couple of days. Man, IT WAS COLD. Maybe an ice pick would be a better implement.

We're not throwing in the towel. The Rox have come back from much worse.

Now where are my hand warmers?
I feel like I'm the Jerry Quarry of the NFBC.

Liquidhippo

Post by Liquidhippo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:25 am

Just one out on the books and Phily likely already has all the offense they'll need tonight.

Liquidhippo

Post by Liquidhippo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Rant on -

Man, how do you let Barmes, who has zero hits in his last 155 AB's, bat with 2 out and 2 on in the 8th when the Phillies' secret weapon is slated to give up 3 Runs in the 9th? Am I the only one that knew that the Rockies were conceding when they sent Street in for the 9th? Someone else HAD to see that he's been pitching with the confidence of a Brad Lidge in a slump. Then Tracy elects to pitch to Werth with 1st base open instead of walking him with the pitcher slot due up next. Wow! Talk about gift wrapped.

Rant off

Cowboy Joe

Post by Cowboy Joe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:35 am

LMAO at Hippo's rant on/rant off.

First, congratulations to any Phillies fans out there. Rockies played well but the Phils played better.

I wondered about pinch hitting for Barmes too, but at that point the Rox have the lead and Barmes is the best defensive option at 2nd.

Street and Tulo had a tough series, but they were the ones who put the Rox in the playoffs so you gotta go with them. Street in particular was a no brainer. Morales had been used, Betancort could have stayed in but his save history is atrocious. By the way, those batters named Rollins, Victorino, Utley, Howard, and Werth are pretty good.

Liquidhippo

Post by Liquidhippo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:43 am

Interesting Cowboy Joe. For me, I've always felt that you should make decisions based on what's good for the team, and what put's your team in the best position to win the game. I, personally, wouldn't put them out there simply as a reward for past achievements or out of loyalty if I felt such a decision would probably lead to a loss. Tulo is different, I never said anything about benching him.

You wrote:

By the way, those batters named Rollins, Victorino, Utley, Howard, and Werth are pretty good.

Yes, and exactly why I wouldn't want Street in his current state out there on the mound with the season on the line, and why I would have walked Werth.

Cowboy Joe

Post by Cowboy Joe » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:51 am

Agree on doing what's best for the team. In the Rockies case, Street (even struggling like he was)was still the best option. No one else on the bench had closed games.

Agree that walking Werth would have been a reasonable move.

I mentioned Tulo because I think he carries as much responsibility for the series loss as Street. He had several opportunities in games 3 and 4 with ducks on the pond and didn't deliver. It happens.

The difference in the series was Phil's big bats beat our closer while Rox big bats didn't beat Phils closer which is ironic given that Lidge was the guy struggling coming into the series.