NEED HELP! IS THIS A FAIR TRADE???

easymoney

Post by easymoney » Mon May 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Hey guys,

I have a trade that needs feedback. I am in an AL ONLY 6 team points league with one of the guys in the NFBC leagues. There was a trade just made Kevin Slowey & Brad Zeigler for CC SABATHIA AND JOSE LOPEZ and i filed a complaint to the commissioner and of course since he was getting CC And lopez he thinks it is fair.

Rule on trades is commissioner needs to approve. The guy making the trade is the commissioner.

Commissioners response is that the guy trading CC needs a closer. Thing is the commissioner has Papelbon, Soria and Ziegler. We start 2 RP's & 5 SP's In other words Ziegler is his bench RP.

Am i in the wrong here to say that this is not a fair trade? Or is this a valid trade? Please post your feedback so we can use this to resolve the debate.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon May 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Originally posted by easymoney:

Hey guys,

I have a trade that needs feedback. I am in an AL ONLY 6 team points league with one of the guys in the NFBC leagues. There was a trade just made Kevin Slowey & Brad Zeigler for CC SABATHIA AND JOSE LOPEZ and i filed a complaint to the commissioner and of course since he was getting CC And lopez he thinks it is fair.

Rule on trades is commissioner needs to approve. The guy making the trade is the commissioner.

Commissioners response is that the guy trading CC needs a closer. Thing is the commissioner has Papelbon, Soria and Ziegler. We start 2 RP's & 5 SP's In other words Ziegler is his bench RP.

Am i in the wrong here to say that this is not a fair trade? Or is this a valid trade? Please post your feedback so we can use this to resolve the debate. Rule #1: Avoid playing in leagues that feature trading.

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Tue May 05, 2009 5:05 am

Def. not a fair trade.

CC had a terrible April last yr, yet if not for Timmy! & possibly Johan, he would've won NL Cy Young.
Always be closing.

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Tue May 05, 2009 5:24 am

Keeper? What are the points for each stat?

I don't think it's as bad as I percieve you do. C.C. has always been overrated in my mind and Lopez isn't a stud or anything.

Slowey could easily outperform C.C. this season except for the K's and Ziegler might keep the job all year and be a top closer in the AL. Simply looking at the names, I could see the outrage, but taking a deeper look and forecasting, it's really not that bad.....especially in a 6 team league(even though it is AL only).

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue May 05, 2009 6:33 am

The real question is "What are the rules regarding trades in your league"

There should be specific rules so the commissioner is not involved in a judgment call and there should never be voting by members of the league who always have a bias depending on their place in the standings.

IF there are NO rules, then you are just stuck with the way the league runs.....so deal with it and then get into a better league next year.

Trading for redraft leagues doesn't make a lot of sense....one of many reasons they are not allowed in the NFBC and many other leagues like it.

In the absence of any rules, you have to look at both teams and see how it affects them - certainly the team with three closers can afford to deal Ziegler. The other team may have lost a closer - Valverde or Hanrahan or someone else and NEED a second closer and have Lopez covered (rather easlily) at 2B or MI. So for those teams it works. HINT - if you had posed the question with the stats instead of the player names there would be no question that it was a "fair" trade. I think you are reacting to the name Sabathia rather than the value of the players involved.

easymoney

Post by easymoney » Wed May 06, 2009 10:33 am

Well rules are trades but commissioner has to review. This is not a keeper league and scoring is...CC was top pitcher in this points format last year.

BBI - Walks Issued (Pitchers) -1 point

BS - Blown Saves -2 points

ER - Earned Runs -1 point

INN - Innings 1 point

K - Strikeouts (Pitcher) 1 point

L - Losses -3 points

NH - No-Hitters 10 points

S - Saves 8 points

SO - Shutouts 5 points

W - Wins 8 points

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Wed May 06, 2009 11:04 am

Originally posted by easymoney:

Well rules are trades but commissioner has to review.

I have NO idea what that means....are there specific rules about what is allowed and what isn't?

"Commissioner has to review" is silly if Commish is one of the teams in the league AND if there are no rules to judge it against.

Makes no difference what Sabathia did last year - that was LAST year. You are playing with THIS year's stats.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat May 09, 2009 5:01 pm

trades like this steered me away from "trade leagues". personally, i see absolutely nothing wrong with the trade. about the time somebody bitches about it, CC will blow out his arm and the other player looks like he stole something. IMO, as long as it's not a habit, and each owner is achieving a need, let the trading go. the WORST thing you can do in a trade league is nullify trades. if it comes to that, the league will eventually cease to exist because it's no longer fun.

bill
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw » Mon May 11, 2009 9:48 am

Lets see Soria is on D/L, Zieglar is out sick for 10 days. This is what happens is small leagues that allow for trades. After all the games got to be played. Just grin and bear it an out play them on the waiver wire and win.