Just Thoughts!

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue May 19, 2009 12:11 am

Originally posted by Crazy Like a Fox:

I remember Bjoak telling me one time he kept track of how his FA pitcher pickups did last year (as fill-ins for injured pitchers) and the e.r.a./whip was staggering (high). It really made me appreciate more a "healthy" track record. I track that as well based on the nine pitching slots, ususally broken down to six starting slots, two closing slots and one swing position. I would offer the conjecture that if at the end of the year you took the each team and compared the pitching results based on the five pitchers from each team with the most games started plus the one or two pitchers with the most saves, the stats would be so close, allowing for the bell-curve outliers, as to be negligable. Especially in pitching, I think all that separates the champions from the also-rans in pitching points are the stats from those last two pitching slots.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed May 20, 2009 4:07 am

And on Kawakami, I do not think he is as good as Hanson, but his last three games he has given up no home runs, just over a hit an inning, better than a strike-out per inning pitched, and a 2:1 K to BB ratio. He kept his team in the game. If he rediscovers his control (about three walks per game), there really isn't any thing more you can ask of him.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue May 26, 2009 1:05 am

Nice start last week by Kawakami. Starting to wish I had him.

WEEK 7 Results – Sometimes you can sum up you whole week (whole year so far for that matter) in a few words. In my team’s case, those words would be “HOLY CRAP!” I am really feeling like I am arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Last week I missed, albeit slightly, on most of my hitting categories with a 0.2757 BA, 32 Runs, 10 HR, 41 RBI’s and 4 SB’s. Given all that came in 301 AB that is pretty weak…empty AB’s all around, bartender!

Well, at least I have my pitching. Four wins in only seven games started, but only two saves, a 6.4799 ERA, a 1.776 WHIP, and only 35 K’s. I had four pitchers with ERA’s over 12.000 including such stalwarts like Kazmir and Lidge.

Then there is the training room. Kazmir on the DL. Ryan “My hammie has been bothering me” Church. SOMETHING has to be wrong with Lidge, who has just stunk it up. He reminds me of that beer commercial where the folks in the bar want the old fat guy in the game so the other team can tie it up. Brandon Phillips breaks a finger FIELDING A GROUND BALL! Felipe Lopez is sitting with a tight hamstring. I do not care how good your bench is, this is too much to cover.

Before the injuries to Lopez and Phillips, there was good news in the MI ranks. Lopez has been well worth the 16th round pick I spent on him even if he is light on RBI out of the leadoff spot, but Rollins and Phillps were disappointments to say the least in April. Last week, the three combined to hit .3382 with 2 HR, 2 SB, 10 R and 12 RBI. Not setting the world on fire, but given April, I will take it.

Likewise, Sonnanstine, Vazquez, Rodriguez, and Danks pitched very well, but of course it was all washed out by the poor performance of the other five.

Week 8 Planning – I find myself suddenly short of starters again with Kazmir going down (not that he was doing me any favors so far this year). Then the powerful minds in Toronto decide that one bad start in Boston is enough to send Bret Cecil down. I gutted out only a seven start week because this week I had so many two start guys. Now I have two less. I really think Cecil is a keeper and I hope he will be back up soon. I also like, despite the end results, what Bonderman did versus the AAA Gwinnett Braves, so I think his time is coming. I do not feel like I can cut Kazmir, either. So this week I will go back to six starters (all the healthy/major league ones I have including Arroyo-yoyo) and three relievers. Charlie Manuel says Lidge is still his closer, so I have no real choice but to stick with him. Mike Gonzalez is also in and I will stick Soriano in as well. The only healthy pitcher on my bench is Ryan Madson. I may regret not sticking him in there.

A lot of the remaining FAAB bucks went this week with six winning bids between $137 to $277. The biggest bid went for Phil Hughes. I did not bid because I knew there was no way the max bid I was willing to make would be enough. A lot of folks must have felt the same way, because there was not even a runner-up bid. With Encarnacion still down, Hafner now having back pains meaning more rehab starts, Phillips dinged up, Lopez dinged up, and Church dinged up, I felt like I needed a full time player to at least keep my AB up. My first choice, Juan Rivera, drew a $168 bid. My bid was not even the second place bid. Other players I considered also went high (Chris Young $252, Jason Giambi $153). I know there are a lot of folks who might say what am I holding onto my money for, but for the most part, the really high bids have or will provide questionable value, like say my $151 bid for the kid back in the minors. There are two are three players now out there in the FA pool who could really help my team, so this could be the week I am force to spend a little. It will depend on how the week goes for these players.

The player I ended up with was Jordan Schafer for a buck. I almost drafted him late (KJ Duke got him) but I know he will have rookie ups and downs. The Braves tried everything they could to keep him in the minors and we know how well they can do that if they want to, so I am thinking there is really something good about him. Whether or not it shows up this year is another matter. I dropped Church due to his injury and the fact he has been just empty AB for some time.

The only healthy person I have on my bench is Lugo and that is where he will stay. I am trolling for an upgrade here fast. Headley and the Padres are playing on the road this week, so he should be a safe bet. Still, without the likes of BJ Upton and Adrian Beltre playing to potential/history, and until I get healthy, I am dead meat. We are nearly one-third through the season and I have dug some deep holes. Time will tell if I can crawl out.

[ May 26, 2009, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Edwards Kings ]
Charles Krauthammer

sportsbettingman

Just Thoughts!

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed May 27, 2009 1:30 pm

NYM catcher Castro is a freaking retard.

Sets up WAY too far inside on right handers.

Santana hits the glove...but the glove is like 4 inches off the plate inside.

Idiot.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

sportsbettingman

Just Thoughts!

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu May 28, 2009 9:22 am

Are there managerial/organizational philosophies where certain teams allow a couple days to assess a scenario re: player injuries, and others make conservative snap judgements?

Just in the last few weeks we had Ludwick and now Iannetta appear healed up and ready to play a mere 2 or 3 days after injury...but those teams snapped them onto the DL list and called up a player like they are either extremely desperate for bodies, or extremely nice to their minor leaguers.

~Albert Einstein

sportsbettingman

Just Thoughts!

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri May 29, 2009 6:22 am

Are there any bats in the division Triple-A Gwinnett plays in???

Between Medlen, Hanson, Morton, and even Glavine...there appears not to be.

I wonder how inflated Hansons numbers are if everyone else on that team has beautiful ERA'a as well?

~Albert Einstein

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri May 29, 2009 7:20 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

I wonder how inflated Hansons numbers are if everyone else on that team has beautiful ERA'a as well? Not really. The International league has a few losers run through it this year like Matt Wieters, Matt Joyce and Andrew McCutchen.

It just couldn't be that the Gwinnett Braves pitchers are just that good! :D
Charles Krauthammer

sportsbettingman

Just Thoughts!

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri May 29, 2009 7:30 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

I wonder how inflated Hansons numbers are if everyone else on that team has beautiful ERA'a as well? Not really. The International league has a few losers run through it this year like Matt Wieters, Matt Joyce and Andrew McCutchen.

It just couldn't be that the Gwinnett Braves pitchers are just that good! :D
[/QUOTE]Ahhhh, touched a nerve with a homer! :D ;)

Since this is the "Just Thoughts" thread...I wonder if the city being named "Atlanta" had any core based of the name of the "lost" city of "Atlantis"??? :eek:

Too lazy to look it up.

~Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Just Thoughts!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri May 29, 2009 8:02 am

Top 10 list of possible man-made myths

1. Religious idols

2. Dracula

3. Ghosts

4. Aliens

5. Atlantis

6. Bigfoot

7. Loch Ness Monster

8. Witches

9. Life after death

10. Lawyers and politicians can be honest

Atlanta was named after a former Georgian Governor's daughter.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

sportsbettingman

Just Thoughts!

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri May 29, 2009 8:23 am

Fun rebuttal :D to the Top 10 list of possible man-made myths

1. Religious idols (See the Hawaii Brady Bunch episode if you doubt!)

2. Dracula (Actually owned a pet warewolf...that rivalry and hatred has been far overblown!)

3. Ghosts (Glimpses into one of many other dimensions according to guys with giant sized brains)

4. Aliens (To think about the number of life supporting planets out there, and still think we are the only one is a joke. Have they been here? No idea. Life is more fun with the stories of aliens!)

5. Atlantis (The more I learn about this one, the more interesting it gets. Even if it is all BS...the guy should get an award for creativity and research! Makes the Davinci Code look like "See Spot Run")

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... mb=1&dur=3

6. Bigfoot (Great hoax by a creative prankster)

7. Loch Ness Monster (Total BS, but ahhh, the story telling from grandparents to grandchildren would not have been the same without it!)

8. Witches (Poor women were slaughtered)

9. Life after death (Only in my dreams)

10. Lawyers and politicians can be honest (An honest society whould not have use for either.)

Atlanta was named after a former Georgian Governor's daughter. (Who I hear was named after the Lost City of Atlantis!) :D :D :D

~Albert Einstein

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri May 29, 2009 8:28 am

Ahhhh, touched a nerve with a homer! :D ;) Me? A homer? Naahhh...just because my family has been in the state long enough to be related to the first governor doesn't mean I am a homer! :D
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri May 29, 2009 8:33 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Top 10 list of possible man-made myths Let me add an llth:

11. New Black Panthers, in beret's and black leather, standing outside a Philadelphia polling station, carrying billy-clubs, harassing potential voters and poll workers is NOT voter intimidation, according to the Justice Department under President Obama.

[ May 29, 2009, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Edwards Kings ]
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Just Thoughts!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri May 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Fun rebuttal :D to the Top 10 list of possible man-made myths

1. Religious idols (See the Hawaii Brady Bunch episode if you doubt!)

2. Dracula (Actually owned a pet warewolf...that rivalry and hatred has been far overblown!)

3. Ghosts (Glimpses into one of many other dimensions according to guys with giant sized brains)

4. Aliens (To think about the number of life supporting planets out there, and still think we are the only one is a joke. Have they been here? No idea. Life is more fun with the stories of aliens!)

5. Atlantis (The more I learn about this one, the more interesting it gets. Even if it is all BS...the guy should get an award for creativity and research! Makes the Davinci Code look like "See Spot Run")

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... mb=1&dur=3

6. Bigfoot (Great hoax by a creative prankster)

7. Loch Ness Monster (Total BS, but ahhh, the story telling from grandparents to grandchildren would not have been the same without it!)

8. Witches (Poor women were slaughtered)

9. Life after death (Only in my dreams)

10. Lawyers and politicians can be honest (An honest society whould not have use for either.)

Atlanta was named after a former Georgian Governor's daughter. (Who I hear was named after the Lost City of Atlantis!) :D :D :D LOVED the rebuttal, Lance. Good Stuff. :D
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:14 am

My team is just plain abismal.

Week Eight Results - Sucked swamp water.

Week Nine Plans - Drink heavily. Lance, pop the cork on that next bottle, will you?
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Just Thoughts!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:26 am

Wayne,

1. Abysmal

2. You started this, you've got to see it through. Don't cheat us on the pregame thoughts.

3. Its sucks, I know. There comes that time during the year when the doubts about a team turn to hatred. Stem the tide, the season is eight weeks old and I want to read about a great comeback.

4. Don't give up. On the team or the thread. With the thread, it'll be entertaining no matter how the team finishes. You'll know when the team is tanked. No team is tanked after 8 weeks.

5. If the team finishes badly. Beat yourself up emotionally and get ready for next year.

Some people use retirement as another option, I don't care for that one.

Pep talk complete.
On my tombstone-

RedRyder

Just Thoughts!

Post by RedRyder » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 am

Wayne!! I gotta echo Dan's sentiments...keep this thread going please!

I think it's great you've been sharing your thoughts with us and there is as much to be learned from a championship season as there is from an off-season.

The only thing I ask is that you give us some better eye candy on our league board, or I should say just give us some eye candy, what the heck with those elephants??!!??

Hang in there, here's hoping we both have MONSTER stats the rest of the way (I know I will cuz STEPHEN FRICKIN' DREW is on my team!!!).

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:53 am

OK. My spelling is abismal. ;)

You guys are gluttons for punishment. No, I do not do the retirement thing. If I did ever decide not to participate in the NFBC, I wouldn't make grand announcements in a vain-glorious attempt to have my legions of followers talk grandma off the ledge. ;)

I am glad that I am participating not only in the event, but to the content of the boards, which should only change as work ebbs and flows. Evidently some folks whom I admire seem to enjoy my self-serving laments, so at least I am adding something to the fun if not adequate competition. Enough of my feeling sorry for myself. Like I posted on our league page (sorry about the elephants, Jules, just thought it was a funny and appropriate picture for the condition of my team :D ), I have played spoiler before and can again. Any way, thanks for the pep talk.

Week Eight Results - Somehow Jimmy Rollins got three stolen bases in a week when his BA was 0.179 and his OBP was 0.207. Too many O-fers this week from him, young studs Rasmus and Schafer (yes, the homey thinks Schafer is a stud at least in the making), Baker and Felipe Lopez (at least he has an excuse...he was hurting). My BA was at 0.261 for the week and it is going to be difficult to raise that (my YTD at 0.265) up to the 0.280-.0282 I targeted. Leaving the week I had too few over achieving (greater than 0.300 BA) like Konerko, Lopez, Hawpe, and Pence and too many to name below 0.250 and next to no one in the middle. One of the few bright spots has been Brandon Phillips whose May was as good as April was terrible. He has gotten his BA up to .280 with good (9 HR) power, a little speed, and good RBI numbers. The weakness in the CIN line-up is obvious as his 0.346 YTD OBP has allowed him to score only 22 runs, however. I cut bait on Church and may finally have to do the same with Headley. You simply cannot start him when he is playing in Petco. Last week, on the road, he hit 0.286 with four RBI's and one homerun. Not great, but not bad. The week before, playing exclusively at Petco, he had one hit in 14 AB. The only reason I may hold onto him is the prospect of him being traded, but I have to get some DL players back or find a solid replacement.

On pitching, got 63 K's in 67 IP in 10 Games started, but had some good starts (Bronson Aroyo-yoyo and Davis) wiped out by blow-ups (Sonnanstine) and some very hittable starts (Wandy 19 hits in less than 9 IP). Never is my DL problem more noticeable than with starting pitching. I would love to sit Sonnanstine, but the FA pool doesn't really offer much. Anyway, Lidge turned it around last week (4 saves and 5 K's with two runners allowed), but the Braves swoon on the road kept Gonzalez or Soriano from contributing.

Week Nine Planning - Not much to plan. I should drop Brett Cecil for someone actually in the Show, but I like his decent stuff, control and ground ball tendencies. If TOR had any grey matter at all between the ear wax mines, he would be up and I think he should be up soon. I mean, all he has to beat out are some back-end filler types like Janssen, Romero, and Tallet. Bonderman had another good start in the minors, so I expect him back, if not this week, then next. He is pitching too well even if his fast ball is still a mile or two lower than his pre-injury norm. Galarraga is proving last year was a bit of a fluke by pitching more like Andres than Armando and Willis has 10 K's in nearly 23 IP with 10 walks and 23 Hits. Nuff said.

My only healthy or Major League pitcher on my bench is Madson, and he will stay there. Another week or two of Lidge pitching to capability, I will be able to replace him with someone more useful. I will use the same starting pitching staff I had last week (Arroyo, Danks, Davis, Wandy, Andy, and Vazquez) which is middle of the pack at best. When Bonderman, Cecil, and Kazmir get back, I see upgrade potential. I hope it is not too late.

On hitting, I dropped Lugo and picked up Willingham, the only player I went for. Even with Dukes due back, I hope Willingham's recent production will keep him in the line up for at least 18 to 20 AB this week in place of Hafner (who keeps hurting himself). Headley goes to the pine. Duncan is still filling in for Encarnacion and had a good week BA wise, but it was pretty empty. Konerko and Beltre (who seems to love to hit singles now) round out the corners. Pence and Hawpe continue to do pretty well, BJ Upton continues to under-produce, and Shafer/Rasmus continue to prove they are young. Phillips and Felipe are doing pretty good, but Rollins, my first rounder, just ain't right. I want Baker to rebound and Hernandez is giving about what I expect.

Still, not too many options. Hafner, Headley, and Madson are on the bubble. I have to money to get anyone one I want, but so far there really hasn't been anyone to grab (Jules just won't let Stephen Drew go!)
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Just Thoughts!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:17 am

Good stuff, Wayne.

You make it easy for us to root for you...

Aw crap,I just sounded like Paula Abdul.

Anyway, here's hoping your team doesen't drop into the abiss ;)
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:44 am

Despite batting .160 with 25 strikeouts and a .187 slugging percentage since May 7, Jordan Schafer's major league roster spot remains secure according to MLB.com's Mark Bowman. Posted 2:56 PM on Rototimes.

Posted on Rotoworld 33 minutes later..."Braves optioned outfielder Jordan Schafer to Triple-A Gwinnett."

A swing and a miss by me for having Schafer in my line-up this week (I wonder if I should start a topic on revamping the Friday rule...I wonder if anyone has any opinions?) but Mr. Bowman gets the big razzy for his insightful reporting.
Charles Krauthammer

sportsbettingman

Just Thoughts!

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:43 pm

Here's a thought spawned by the tragic fight this week.

Does modern day travel avoid the Bermuda Triangle?

If not, then was it all a coincidence or an out and out hoax back then?

~Albert Einstein

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:15 am

Here's a thought spawned by the tragic fight this week.

Does modern day travel avoid the Bermuda Triangle?

If not, then was it all a coincidence or an out and out hoax back then? Then, as now, misconception and superstition.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:

The only thing I ask is that you give us some better eye candy on our league board, or I should say just give us some eye candy, what the heck with those elephants??!!??Still looking for the better eye candy, RedRyder, but my problem is my definition of eye candy and your definition of eye candy is probably a bit different. I will keep working on it. :D
Charles Krauthammer

Quahogs

Just Thoughts!

Post by Quahogs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 am

my animated gif has been stymied. It was some good eye candy for you Wayne

[ June 03, 2009, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Quahogs ]

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:

my animated gif has been stymied. It was some good eye candy for you Wayne That is a shame...I appreciate the thought!
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Just Thoughts!

Post by headhunters » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:53 pm

braves add an outfielder. 2 more and they will have 3. hanson up. rotation looks solid. chipper says he will play 62% of the time- an improvement. things are looking up in bravesland