Brazoban - Here he comes!!!!!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:26 am

Five days after receiving a cortisone shot, Eric Gagne pitched a scoreless innings against the Red Sox today in his spring debut.

Gagne was clearing favoring his left leg and didn't have his usual stuff as a result. He said he felt OK after the outing, but we're a bit more concerned about this than we were yesterday.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:32 pm

So let's go back to that crazy NY7 draft...

So I'm doing the all reliever thing and I see that Team 3 is doing it also. His closers are Gagne, Rivera and Mota and mine are Wagner and Foulke. I fill my starting lineup and first thing I do is select Brazoban. I expected him to retaliate by taking Worrell but no, he was going for the 3 closers and 6 dead poets staff. Somebody grabs Gordon right after I take Brazoban and in round 25 I snag Alfonseca to make sure he has no backups.

I also take Putz and Street so my 2 closers could turn into 3 or 4 by opening day.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:39 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:

I also take Putz and Street so my 2 closers could turn into 3 or 4 by opening day. Putz maybe, but Street a closer by opening day? Interesting...

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:00 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:

quote:Originally posted by JerseyPaul:

I also take Putz and Street so my 2 closers could turn into 3 or 4 by opening day. Putz maybe, but Street a closer by opening day? Interesting... [/QUOTE]Actually was thinking Brazoban and Putz as 3 and 4. I think Street could well be a closer by mid-season. If Street does well in middle relief then Oakland may indeed trade Dotel. LOL...That would give me 5. I also have Worrell to back up my own Wagner. If Mota fails I'd have 6... plus Madson, Linebrink, Kline and Hammond who might vulture the occasional W or S.

fandango

Post by fandango » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:27 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

quote:Originally posted by JerseyPaul:

I also take Putz and Street so my 2 closers could turn into 3 or 4 by opening day. Putz maybe, but Street a closer by opening day? Interesting... [/QUOTE]Actually was thinking Brazoban and Putz as 3 and 4. I think Street could well be a closer by mid-season. If Street does well in middle relief then Oakland may indeed trade Dotel. LOL...That would give me 5. I also have Worrell to back up my own Wagner. If Mota fails I'd have 6... plus Madson, Linebrink, Kline and Hammond who might vulture the occasional W or S.
[/QUOTE]one question JP...how do you go for the all reliever approach and end up with only 2 relievers on opening day????? doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose? i dont see how you loaded your money in offense cause your team offense is average....did you fall alseep at the draft waiting in between picks??

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:08 pm

Originally posted by fandango:

one question JP...how do you go for the all reliever approach and end up with only 2 relievers on opening day????? doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose? i dont see how you loaded your money in offense cause your team offense is average....did you fall alseep at the draft waiting in between picks?? I didn't need to use more than 2 picks for closers because my later picks will bring buckets of saves... including Brazoban, Putz, etc. If I wind up with 14 instead of 15, I can live with that. Most important was not to take a high ERA/WHIP mediocre closer.

As for my offense, I think it's fine for the 15 slot. I have lots of flexibility to add speed or power as needed during the season. For example, my team is structured so that I can start a no power guy like Dave Roberts or switch to a power guy like Carlos Pena... a fast 2B like Womack or a power guy who plays half his games in Col in Luis Gonzalez. How many teams have a guy like Carlos Pena on the bench?

I don't think a core of Jeter, Aramis Ramirez, Chipper and Andruw Jones, Travis Hafner, Mike Sweeney (four to five 30 HR guys) and some pop at C with Olivo and Lieberthal is anything for me to worry about. I have nice speed and AVG up the middle with Iguchi and Womack and nice balance in the OF with Ford, Byrnes and Floyd. I have huge numbers at AVG and SB and very comfortable Run numbers. My job will be to manage my HR number up without giving up a high finish in SBs.

I'm looking at 47-49 pitching points. 60 hitting points is certainly within reach with some upside. As they say, we have to play the games.

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:19 pm

JP This isnt football , you can get power from any spot. So picking 15 is no different tha 1. It's what you want, you can have more power than anyone if you choose too.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Mankind

Post by Mankind » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:41 pm

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET...............