Thoughts on my team/$500 League

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 am

1st year in NFBC. Going up against some very good owners in this league, including the 100k Champ from last year.

So, do I have a chance? FYI: Based on the targets I had, I know I will need to do some work on wins and K's ]. All opinions are welcome.

C-Victor Martinez, CLE

C-Dioner Navarro, TB

1B-Miguel Cabrera, DET

2B-Robinson Cano, NYY

SS-Miguel Tejada, HOU

3B-Alex Rodriguez, NYY

CI-Hank Blalock, TEX

MI-Luis Castillo, NYM

DH-Carlos Delgado, NYM

OF-Ichiro Suzuki, SEA

OF-Hideki Matsui, NYY

OF-Carlos Gomez, MIN

OF-Mike Cameron, MIL

OF-Michael Cuddyer, MIN

P-Johan Santana, NYM

P-Josh Beckett, BOS

P-Carlos Marmol, CHC

P-Brian Fuentes, ANA

P-Mike Gonzalez, ATL

P-Chris Perez, STL

P-Fausto Carmona, CLE

P-Joe Saunders, ANA

P-Rich Hill, BAL

Bench:

OF-Ryan Spilborghs, COL

OF-Nyjer Morgan, PIT

1B-Nick Johnson, WAS

SP-John Smoltz, BOS

SP-Neftali Feliz, TEX

RP-Fernando Rodney, DET

RP-Takashi Saito, BOS
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

Raskol

Post by Raskol » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:08 am

Interesting team. Cabrera-Arod-Santana-Ichiro is a heck of a start.
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson

Bobby J

Post by Bobby J » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:39 am

I was in the draft last night and it was a very good draft all the way around, much better, at least time wise and not a lot of crazy runs like I had the night before. I really like your first 4 also, you are correct, chasing wins and K's all year, 2 soft tossers in Carmona and Saunders and not much on the bench. Smoltz not til June and who knows about Perez at all, you are going to spend alot of free agent money trying to chase those cats. I also have you alittle short on offense, a quick glance, I see short on HR, RBI and only about 110 SB.
Some Assembly Required

puck4544

Post by puck4544 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Got some nic ebase hitters and ,, stikeout kings , good luck

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Same league:

C Martin

C Suzuki

1B Loney

2B F. Lopez

SS Theriot

3B Lowell

MI Betancourt

CI Rolen

OF Braun

OF Crawford

OF Bay

OF Ordonez

OF Dunn

UT Sheffield

P Volquez

P Meyers

P C. Young

P Dice K.

P Scherzer

P Kawakami/Wolf

P Bell

P Ray

P Soriano

Vander

Post by Vander » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:59 am

Originally posted by SoxMets:

1st year in NFBC. Going up against some very good owners in this league, including the 100k Champ from last year.

So, do I have a chance? FYI: Based on the targets I had, I know I will need to do some work on wins and K's ]. All opinions are welcome.

C-Victor Martinez, CLE

C-Dioner Navarro, TB

1B-Miguel Cabrera, DET

2B-Robinson Cano, NYY

SS-Miguel Tejada, HOU

3B-Alex Rodriguez, NYY

CI-Hank Blalock, TEX

MI-Luis Castillo, NYM

DH-Carlos Delgado, NYM

OF-Ichiro Suzuki, SEA

OF-Hideki Matsui, NYY

OF-Carlos Gomez, MIN

OF-Mike Cameron, MIL

OF-Michael Cuddyer, MIN

P-Johan Santana, NYM

P-Josh Beckett, BOS

P-Carlos Marmol, CHC

P-Brian Fuentes, ANA

P-Mike Gonzalez, ATL

P-Chris Perez, STL

P-Fausto Carmona, CLE

P-Joe Saunders, ANA

P-Rich Hill, BAL

Bench:

OF-Ryan Spilborghs, COL

OF-Nyjer Morgan, PIT

1B-Nick Johnson, WAS

SP-John Smoltz, BOS

SP-Neftali Feliz, TEX

RP-Fernando Rodney, DET

RP-Takashi Saito, BOS I was in that draft too. I don't mean to be critical, but since you asked. Why take Santana and Beckett if you don't take the usual 7 sp staff. It then becomes kind of waste picks. You'll do well in saves, era, and whip, but could have accomplished that without Santana and Beckett. With the 4 closers you could have just taken decent set up guys late and ended up the same while using those higher picks for a better offense. The unbalanced team (top heavy with closers and not enough sp's) can work in a sat league. I've never seen it work in the main event if you are considering that for next year. You can win your league there too, but won't have a chance at the $100,000. You need to finish well in every cat to win the big prize. Study Bobby Jurney's team from last year. he got some help from dopes like me being in his league that allowed some players to fall to him, but that seems kind of necesary also. In 2007 I helped Terry Haney (that years $100,000 winner) the same way. It's starting to feel like you need me in the league to win the big prize. Good luck. I always consider the first year a learning experience. Play it out till the end. Sometimes you can find true gems in the faab each week and above all have fun. That's why we do this.

Dirt Dogs

Post by Dirt Dogs » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:36 am

Vander are you serious?!?! you have been in the same league as the overall champion 2 times now?

What league are you in this year?
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Bobby J

Post by Bobby J » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:36 am

Vander - that is pretty sick, if others had known that Chicago might have had 20 leagues instead of 4 and Greg could have made lots of money this year
Some Assembly Required

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:40 am

vander, looks like we're in the auction together..GL and see you friday.

bill
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:14 am

Originally posted by Vander:

quote:Originally posted by SoxMets:

C-Victor Martinez, CLE

C-Dioner Navarro, TB

1B-Miguel Cabrera, DET

2B-Robinson Cano, NYY

SS-Miguel Tejada, HOU

3B-Alex Rodriguez, NYY

CI-Hank Blalock, TEX

MI-Luis Castillo, NYM

DH-Carlos Delgado, NYM

OF-Ichiro Suzuki, SEA

OF-Hideki Matsui, NYY

OF-Carlos Gomez, MIN

OF-Mike Cameron, MIL

OF-Michael Cuddyer, MIN

P-Johan Santana, NYM

P-Josh Beckett, BOS

P-Carlos Marmol, CHC

P-Brian Fuentes, ANA

P-Mike Gonzalez, ATL

P-Chris Perez, STL

P-Fausto Carmona, CLE

P-Joe Saunders, ANA

P-Rich Hill, BAL

Bench:

OF-Ryan Spilborghs, COL

OF-Nyjer Morgan, PIT

1B-Nick Johnson, WAS

SP-John Smoltz, BOS

SP-Neftali Feliz, TEX

RP-Fernando Rodney, DET

RP-Takashi Saito, BOS I was in that draft too. I don't mean to be critical, but since you asked. Why take Santana and Beckett if you don't take the usual 7 sp staff. It then becomes kind of waste picks. You'll do well in saves, era, and whip, but could have accomplished that without Santana and Beckett. With the 4 closers you could have just taken decent set up guys late and ended up the same while using those higher picks for a better offense. The unbalanced team (top heavy with closers and not enough sp's) can work in a sat league. I've never seen it work in the main event if you are considering that for next year. You can win your league there too, but won't have a chance at the $100,000. You need to finish well in every cat to win the big prize. Study Bobby Jurney's team from last year. he got some help from dopes like me being in his league that allowed some players to fall to him, but that seems kind of necesary also. In 2007 I helped Terry Haney (that years $100,000 winner) the same way. It's starting to feel like you need me in the league to win the big prize. Good luck. I always consider the first year a learning experience. Play it out till the end. Sometimes you can find true gems in the faab each week and above all have fun. That's why we do this.
[/QUOTE]OK, thanks for the opinion. Being that it is the first year doing this, I was not sure what the proper mix of starters and closers should be since it is a weekly lineup. I have always been used to daily lineups, which changes your strategy somewhat. This was definitely a learning experience. I am definitely happy taking Santana and Beckett where I got them, but definitely should have used 1 or 2 more mid round picks on starters.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:16 am

Originally posted by Raskol:

Interesting team. Cabrera-Arod-Santana-Ichiro is a heck of a start. Actually got Ichiro in the fifth, believe it or not. V Mart was the fourth, but in hindsight I wish I had taken Halladay there.

Vander

Post by Vander » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:18 am

It is true I sat next to Haney in 2007 then had Jurney last year. Last year Bobby did me great favors. He saved me from having to take Pujols in the second round and also having to take Damon in the 12th. Didn't want either as apparently nobody in the league did. Nobody drafted Cliff Lee either and I didn't bid on him either. Bobby "wasted" some of his money on him. These favors were some of the keys to winning it all. I believe Michael Kleeman was also in both winners leagues. Last year I believe his wife had a baby the night before the draft. I didn't talk to him, but heard he drafted with no sleep. Again heard that second hand not from him. Bill look forward to meeting you Friday. I'm not at my best in auctions, so I may be that "sucker" at the poker table you look around for. I usually do the opposite of Less than Dave. He says he spends money too freely, I try to save it, then don't get enough top players. I will try to force myself to spend on some top guys this year.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:20 am

Originally posted by Bobby J:

I was in the draft last night and it was a very good draft all the way around, much better, at least time wise and not a lot of crazy runs like I had the night before. I really like your first 4 also, you are correct, chasing wins and K's all year, 2 soft tossers in Carmona and Saunders and not much on the bench. Smoltz not til June and who knows about Perez at all, you are going to spend alot of free agent money trying to chase those cats. I also have you alittle short on offense, a quick glance, I see short on HR, RBI and only about 110 SB. Thanks for the feedback Bobby. You are right about the chasing Wins and K's that's for sure. Maybe HR and SB are a little bit lacking, but I like the R HR and RBI well enough...we will see.

Vander

Post by Vander » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 am

The usual mix is 7 sp's with 2 closers. it is ok to mix in another rp from time to time. It can't be too often with out getting behind on W's and K's. think 100 or so W's and 1280 K's as really good totals to shoot for. That's hard to do even with 7 sp's.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:47 am

Originally posted by Vander:

The usual mix is 7 sp's with 2 closers. it is ok to mix in another rp from time to time. It can't be too often with out getting behind on W's and K's. think 100 or so W's and 1280 K's as really good totals to shoot for. That's hard to do even with 7 sp's. Yeah that would seem to make sense, especially with no max IP.

Lost Sailor

Post by Lost Sailor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 am

quote:Originally posted by Raskol:

Interesting team. Cabrera-Arod-Santana-Ichiro is a heck of a start. Actually got Ichiro in the fifth, believe it or not. V Mart was the fourth, but in hindsight I wish I had taken Halladay there. [/QUOTE]Jeez.. everyone passed on Ichiro in the 4th? That certainly won't happen in NY3...
Been way too long at sea....

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:20 pm

I have to say, Cabrera, Arod, Santana, Ichiro is a crazy start. I don't like VMart this year at all, but that is just me. I think you have enough studs that you can figure out some pickups to stem the gaps. Even with 450 players drafted there are always SPs and a few hitters to be found.. If Arod is back end of April, and Santana is healthy, that would just be sick

GL and welcome to the NFBC

Spyhunter

Dub

Post by Dub » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:53 am

I was in the draft last night and it was a very good draft all the way around, much better, at least time wise and not a lot of crazy runs like I had the night before. I really like your first 4 also, you are correct, chasing wins and K's all year, 2 soft tossers in Carmona and Saunders and not much on the bench. Smoltz not til June and who knows about Perez at all, you are going to spend alot of free agent money trying to chase those cats. I also have you alittle short on offense, a quick glance, I see short on HR, RBI and only about 110 SB. 110 SB's? Don't you think that is a little harsh? The team does include: Ichiro, Gomez, Cameron, Castillo, and Aroid and some of the rest also run a little.
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

Bobby J

Post by Bobby J » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:27 am

maybe 120 before the A Rod injury, Suzuki 40, Gomez 30 (need to get on base to run), Castillo (15, he is 33 and injury prone), Cameron 15 (he is 36 and numbers are declining), A Rod 10 max, the rest of the starting unit does not provide any speed, he does have Spilborgh and Morgan on the bench but once you put them in you sacrifice power and rbi were his team is already short
Some Assembly Required

Dub

Post by Dub » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:55 am

maybe 120 before the A Rod injury, Suzuki 40, Gomez 30 (need to get on base to run), Castillo (15, he is 33 and injury prone), Cameron 15 (he is 36 and numbers are declining), A Rod 10 max, the rest of the starting unit does not provide any speed, he does have Spilborgh and Morgan on the bench but once you put them in you sacrifice power and rbi were his team is already short Using last year's numbers, this team would have produced 143 SBs, This includes Matsui, Blalock, VMart, Cuddyer and Castillo (298 abs) who all missed most of the season.

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:30 am

C-Victor Martinez, CLE

C-Dioner Navarro, TB

1B-Miguel Cabrera, DET

2B-Robinson Cano, NYY

SS-Miguel Tejada, HOU

3B-Alex Rodriguez, NYY

CI-Hank Blalock, TEX

MI-Luis Castillo, NYM

DH-Carlos Delgado, NYM

OF-Ichiro Suzuki, SEA

OF-Hideki Matsui, NYY

OF-Carlos Gomez, MIN

OF-Mike Cameron, MIL

OF-Michael Cuddyer, MIN

P-Johan Santana, NYM

P-Josh Beckett, BOS

P-Carlos Marmol, CHC

P-Brian Fuentes, ANA

P-Mike Gonzalez, ATL

P-Chris Perez, STL

P-Fausto Carmona, CLE

P-Joe Saunders, ANA

P-Rich Hill, BAL

Bench:

OF-Ryan Spilborghs, COL

OF-Nyjer Morgan, PIT

1B-Nick Johnson, WAS

SP-John Smoltz, BOS

SP-Neftali Feliz, TEX

RP-Fernando Rodney, DET

RP-Takashi Saito, BOS I think you will have a difficult time winning money in that league with such little depth at starting pitching. IMO that is your only mistake though (unfortunately it may be a costly one) b/c I see it as a good and deep squad. I think when you look back you may be frustrated b/c even if you give up a closer and one bat for 2 starting pitchers you would still be fine on offense and with saves.

I think your best bet is taking an aggressive strategy and advocating 700 of your 1000 faab to starting pitching and also the roster room to be patient with a few upside starters IE a Trevor Cahill gets dropped try to stash him for 10 bucks.

Nice job for first time out especially good bench.

seefer

Post by seefer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am

Vander, I was in both winners' leagues as well over the last 2 years...

In first year, I took 2nd overall. So guys, it is GOOD to be in my league.

Dub

Post by Dub » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:55 am

Originally posted by seefer:

Vander, I was in both winners' leagues as well over the last 2 years...

In first year, I took 2nd overall. So guys, it is GOOD to be in my league. While that is great that you finished 2nd- it sucks that the one guy who beats you is in your league. What are the chances of that? Cost you $5,000.