$ALERT$ FAAB_Week 1_BEST_BUY

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:31 am

Okay, each week I'm going to highlight the best FAAB play of the week.

Best Bet Week 1 FAAB...

Alejandro De Aza - OF - Marlins

3/28/07 - The Marlins have named 22-year-old Alejandro De Aza as the team's starting center fielder.

"Alejandro De Aza is going to be our center fielder," manager Fredi Gonzalez said Wednesday morning. "He plays the game the right way, and I'm very happy for him, and I'm very happy for our club, too." De Aza hit .351 (13-for-37) with four doubles, one triple and four RBI in 23 spring games entering Wednesday. He also has four stolen bases.

De Aza could very well be this years Hanley Ramirez. Last year in the minors, he attemped 37 stolen bases in only 230ABs!!!! The year before he attempted 51 stolen bases!! Man, this guy can burn, and he's on the right team to run, run, and then run some more. He's got the starting gig and the green light from day one.

He's already attempted 6 stolen bases this spring, in only 40AB!!!

The guys who listened to me about Sheets, Papelbon, and Sosa are gonna be rewarded bigtime. Alejandro De Aza is next on the list of Gekko's Best Buys!!

Think about it, how often does a guy with this kind of speed and a guarenteed job come up on the waiver wire.

Get in now, before he steals 4 bases in Week 1. Estimated bid price to get De Aza is $250 - $400 (depending on how bad you need SB's).

Good luck everyone!

[ March 29, 2007, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

mdz129

Post by mdz129 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:55 am

Hitting out of the 8 Hole-- Hmmm-- Guaranteed Job? For How Long? Eric Reed had a Guaranteed Job for 4 weeks. He hit .278 in AA, MLB .230? OBP .245? SB's 6 before being sent to AAA for "more seasoning". Gordon have fun bidding $400 on him.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:59 am

Originally posted by mdz129:

Hmmm-- Guaranteed Job? For How Long? Eric Reed had a Guaranteed Job for 4 weeks. you could said the same thing about H.Ramirez too. see how that worked out

[ March 29, 2007, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:01 am

i'm just reporting the FACTS. he has a FULL-TIME job and he STEALS BASES in a hurry.

mdz129

Post by mdz129 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:05 am

There seems to be more OPINION in your post than "ONLY FACTS". As we all know, "OPINIONS are like a**holes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

DiamondKing

Post by DiamondKing » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:35 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by mdz129:

Hmmm-- Guaranteed Job? For How Long? Eric Reed had a Guaranteed Job for 4 weeks. you could said the same thing about H.Ramirez too. see how that worked out [/QUOTE]This may be the one and only time you ever see this guy compared to H Ramirez.
All pigs are created equal.Some are more equal than others.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:14 am

Originally posted by DiamondKing:

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

Hmmm-- Guaranteed Job? For How Long? Eric Reed had a Guaranteed Job for 4 weeks. you could said the same thing about H.Ramirez too. see how that worked out [/QUOTE]This may be the one and only time you ever see this guy compared to H Ramirez.
[/QUOTE]You are right about that. Aza has more speed than Ramirez.

Cherokee Nation

Post by Cherokee Nation » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:34 am

You got Hanley ?

Cut him for Aza
Remember the Constitution and the freedoms we used to have

Cooperstown

Post by Cooperstown » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:39 am

Gordon,

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like your ALERT posts before the draft day. I find them entertaining.

But there is something inherently wrong w/ these posts before FAAB's, no matter the intent. It sets a dangerous precedent.

DiamondKing

Post by DiamondKing » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:49 pm

quote:Originally posted by DiamondKing:

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

[/QUOTE]You are right about that. Aza has more speed than Ramirez.
[/QUOTE]Herr Goebbels would be proud.
All pigs are created equal.Some are more equal than others.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Originally posted by Cooperstown:

But there is something inherently wrong w/ these posts before FAAB's, no matter the intent. It sets a dangerous precedent. I'm doing a public service here. Sorry if you wanted Aza for cheap. Starting gig and major wheels means big payday. If an owner needs speed, this is THE GUY you want to get. There is no precedent, nor anything dangerous here. Get ready for more FAAB updates.

Again, good luck everybody!

Cherokee Nation

Post by Cherokee Nation » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Yes oh Yes because you and your 2 digit posse are the end-all in fantasy sports knowledge.

What makes you so important ?

I think people can figure it out themselves without your cut and paste rotoworld spam
Remember the Constitution and the freedoms we used to have

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:03 pm

Originally posted by Cherokee Nation:

What makes you so important ?

Each time you post about me or post in a thread I started, my importance grows.

Now, make sure you bid enough to get Aza (if you need stolen bases). Check out his minor league numbers if you don't believe me. Thanks.

Cooperstown

Post by Cooperstown » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:31 pm

quote:Originally posted by Cooperstown:

But there is something inherently wrong w/ these posts before FAAB's, no matter the intent. It sets a dangerous precedent. I'm doing a public service here. Sorry if you wanted Aza for cheap. Starting gig and major wheels means big payday. If an owner needs speed, this is THE GUY you want to get. There is no precedent, nor anything dangerous here. Get ready for more FAAB updates.

Again, good luck everybody!
[/QUOTE]I'm not bidding on Aza. But there might be someone else later that your message causes someone in my league to bid up when they otherwise wouldn't. Or, I might think your message will cause them to bid higher and then I bid higher when I didn't need to.

Either way, it's a slippery slope you're creating and the precedent you're setting can work in reverse. I may decide to look at your team and see that you had some injuries to SS's and need one. But I don't. So I'll talk up a SS that you might like for the next couple of weeks, just to make sure everyone knows.

Then someone else in another league gets upset at my post and returns the favor. Then someone else....

You see where this could head?

IMO it's like telling your drafting neighbor on the left that "so and so" is available if you still need that position. But the neighbor on your right might have wanted that guy.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I guess we'll see.

So what league are you in GG?

Bandit

Post by Bandit » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:52 pm

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Thats my take :cool:

Brilee's Brigade

Post by Brilee's Brigade » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Personally, I can't stand when one of these so-called experts, who just talks so he can be heard, starts spewing nonsensce about available players. Each person in these leagues payed enough money that they should be doing their own research without the big mouths spewing off.

WOOF WHACKERS

Post by WOOF WHACKERS » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:53 pm

I see both sides to this..... here is where my 2 cents comes down. Just because someone says its so, doesn't make it so. If your spending money in these leagues, the least you should be doing is reading the USA Baseball Weekly every week. If so then you will know 99% of whats being put on the table here. I look it at this as a similar facet of Poker. Sometimes a manager can come on here and sell you something good, in order to build some credibility for the next sale, which may be a " Bluff " just to get you to dump some FA $$$. Its up the buyer to decide which it is. I like the added aspect of trying to figure whether some one is " Bluffing " or not, just like in Poker..! that's my humble opinion anyway.
" ALWAYS GO DOWN SWINGING "

bucks66

Post by bucks66 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:41 am

I also see both sides of the story as well. My take is....who cares? If it makes GG feel better to write this stuff up, then so be it. I would think most on here do their own homework anyways and he's not really giving out any info that isn't available somewhere else. I for one enjoy the witty (sometimes) banter but wouldn't bank my money on what anyone here posts without backing it up with further investigation. While what GG does isn't my style, the world would be a boring place if everyone would be like me (although it would be a much better looking place) :cool: If you don't like it, don't read it.

Vander

Post by Vander » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:09 am

Originally posted by Cooperstown:

Gordon,

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like your ALERT posts before the draft day. I find them entertaining.

But there is something inherently wrong w/ these posts before FAAB's, no matter the intent. It sets a dangerous precedent. Hey Coop. I'm not real fond of pointing this stuff out to the masses either although most in this pool stay very well informed. I won't alter my bidding at all in regard to pumped guys. Even if I want them. I will continue to bid accordingly for players based on how I value them and how they may fit my teams needs. Maybe his angle this time, sorry GG I don't mean to speak for you however, is to get people to over pay regardless, and spend all their money early so the savers can scoop up bargains later. Just a thought and the angle I'm taking. No change here.

mdz129

Post by mdz129 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:16 am

Where can I find Gekko's team? ( league and team name)-- I would like to post all available free agents he may need from his free agent pool)-- should be fun.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:05 am

Originally posted by mdz129:

Where can I find Gekko's team? ( league and team name)-- I would like to post all available free agents he may need from his free agent pool)-- should be fun. I don't single out a specific owner, like you are suggesting to do. If you proceeded down that path, my guess is that you'd get "talked to" by Greg. On top of that, you'd turn this fun topic into something of a personal nature.

My original posting was something that any of us could find on a fantasy website. Factual information along with fantasy analysis. Again, I didn't single out a specific owner, and I would suggest you follow suit.

Thanks.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:27 am

Originally posted by bucks66:

I also see both sides of the story as well. My take is....who cares? If it makes GG feel better to write this stuff up, then so be it. I would think most on here do their own homework anyways and he's not really giving out any info that isn't available somewhere else. I for one enjoy the witty (sometimes) banter but wouldn't bank my money on what anyone here posts without backing it up with further investigation. While what GG does isn't my style, the world would be a boring place if everyone would be like me (although it would be a much better looking place) :cool: If you don't like it, don't read it. I hope everyone knows by now that I'm not one to censor information and posting info on our boards that you can find on any fantasy web site doesn't affect me all that much. I trust that most NFBC owners know about Double-A guys who suddenly win starting jobs. If not and GG is informing them for the first tme, then I guess shame on them.

That being said, I think we should keep our content factual and not get into projections of bids or future stats for these free agents. I know it's "poker talk" if you will, but let's allow the facts to speak for themselves. I also don't want individual owners e-mailing other owners in their leagues to tell them to pick up certain guys or to bid accordingly to block free agents from other owners. We haven't had this happen during our first three years and I just don't want this to ever evolve into something like that.

We all make our own decisions on FAAB bids, whether the spin machine is out there or not. Good luck with the initial free agent pickups this week and may your $1 pickup be this year's MVP.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

TheKing

Post by TheKing » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:42 am

GG would be doing himself, and the entire NFBC, a disservice if he doesn't continue to post his weekly FAAB updates.

If you don't like what he's posting, don't read it. You'll be the one missing out on his insightful FAAB targets.

Personally, I don't think he should be giving this information away for free.

GG, ever think about charging for the info and only sending it via private messaging?

$9.99 p/month? I'd be your first subscriber...
"When your strategy is deep and far reaching, what you gain by your calculations can allow you to win before you fight."

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:22 am

I have to agree with those that don't mind the posts. Maybe the hype will create a higher bid, but I think most people should know what they want to bid on players and stick with it. The competition is too high to let a plyer with potential slip by. It just won't happen. The only way to get ahead is to bid for players a week or two before they win a starting job. When you see someone slipping (like a closer) if the guy likely to take his job is available, bid cheap, hold him a few weeks and hope for the best.

Gekko hyped Ben Sheets, who I personally think will be in top 3 for Cy Young this year. Sure, when I saw his post, I thought "Oh sh**! That f**%$ng, mother f%*ker may have just let the cat out of the bag."

Then I realized, I'm not the only one who knows Ben Sheets. Everybody does. And everybody has their own opinion. If you stick with your gut, and it works out great, then you win, but if you jump too soon, you lose. The value in these players is not overpaying for them, whether it's during the draft by grabbing them too soon, or for overpaying for them through FAAB.

Sheets was risk for me in Rd 4, since I was picking 5th that round (11 pick overall). But I figured someone may grab him before he comes back to me Rd5 P11. Did I let Gekko get in mind head? No! I passed, sweat it out and grabbed Sheets towards the end of Round 5.

For those who throw all of their moany away quickly to patch holes, if the value is there, great, if it doesn't work out, you just lost a major chunk of your FAAB that has to last all season.

PS - Gekko, Sheets rocks!!! :D (They need to make a chant available for Cy Young, just doesn't roll like M-V-P, M-V-P, M-V-P!)

Cooperstown

Post by Cooperstown » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:09 am

Thanks for your reply Greg. As always, you put things in the perspective that they need to be put in.

Though I'm still not too keen on discussing the FAAB prior to Sunday night, if GG refrains from posting projected bid amounts to get guys, the slope won't be as slippery.