John Smoltz rule?

Red Sox Nation

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Red Sox Nation » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Greg,

What is the ruling on this? I believe last year this was not allowed. The system does allow it though.

The reason I bring it up is Clay Buchholz is a prime example this week. He is on the DL but getting activated and pitching tomorrow. I can put him on the bench right now for the weekend and get another starter in my lineup. I know this was not the intention of the DL rule but with the system set-up as it is how can we prevent this? Thanks

Jason
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Red Sox Nation

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Red Sox Nation » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Bump...

Greg,

Can we get a ruling on this? I'm in leagues where I've seen Clay already swapped out for the weekend. Thanks
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Quack & Willy

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Quack & Willy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 am

I believe that this was going to be a manual item that the NFBC team was going to have to override.

Dub

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Dub » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:29 am

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

Bump...

Greg,

Can we get a ruling on this? I'm in leagues where I've seen Clay already swapped out for the weekend. Thanks see Greg's response at the bottom- its the exact same scenario.

http://nfbcboards.fanball.com/cgi-bin/u ... 848#000003
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:35 am

Originally posted by Dub:

see Greg's response at the bottom- its the exact same scenario.

http://nfbcboards.fanball.com/cgi-bin/u ... 848#000003 it's NOT the same exact scenario. buchholz already pitched this week. any owners who had him active should only get hhis start and that's it. no double-dipping. anyone who did double-dip is cheating. hopefully greg can post all leagues where someone has swapped out a DL pitcher to get 2 starts out of it. thanks.

Greg Ambrosius

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

Greg,

What is the ruling on this? I believe last year this was not allowed. The system does allow it though.

The reason I bring it up is Clay Buchholz is a prime example this week. He is on the DL but getting activated and pitching tomorrow. I can put him on the bench right now for the weekend and get another starter in my lineup. I know this was not the intention of the DL rule but with the system set-up as it is how can we prevent this? Thanks

Jason The system is set up no differently this year than it was last year. If a player is on the DL to start the week and you get his start and were able to DL him before Friday and insert another pitcher it is legal by our rules. As I stated in my email today, it's very tough to create a system that would prevent that unless you had me check this every Friday, and it's a rare case where this happens.

We never manually did this with STATS and we aren't doing that now. It's one of those rare instances where someone could benefit from a player starting the week on the DL, but it's certainly within our guidelines to move him out.

See, this is one reason why I don't want to have streaming pitchers on Fridays!! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Dub

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Dub » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

Greg,

Jason The system is set up no differently this year than it was last year. If a player is on the DL to start the week and you get his start and were able to DL him before Friday and insert another pitcher it is legal by our rules. As I stated in my email today, it's very tough to create a system that would prevent that unless you had me check this every Friday, and it's a rare case where this happens.

We never manually did this with STATS and we aren't doing that now. It's one of those rare instances where someone could benefit from a player starting the week on the DL, but it's certainly within our guidelines to move him out.

See, this is one reason why I don't want to have streaming pitchers on Fridays!! :D
[/QUOTE]Au contraire, streaming would eliminate this glitch. Everyone would have the same ability to swap out ANY pitcher.
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:10 pm

The system is set up no differently this year than it was last year. If a player is on the DL to start the week and you get his start and were able to DL him before Friday and insert another pitcher it is legal by our rules. As I stated in my email today, it's very tough to create a system that would prevent that unless you had me check this every Friday, and it's a rare case where this happens.

post from last season...what am i missing??? :confused:

With our current setup, no owner can move those players out of their starting lineup once they are officially off the DL. However, if you made your roster move on Monday or Tuesday and moved those pitchers to your reserve roster before they were taken off the DL you were getting a replacement for the weekend games. In essence, you had a shot at two starts even though your DL player was on the active roster during the weekend. That was NOT the intent of the rule and I apologize for not closing this loophole earlier.

Going forward, we will manually reverse any move involving a pitcher coming off the DL during the week if this happens again. And we know it will happen again as John Lackey and Ervin Santana are two good examples of guys who will pitch in the minors over the next couple of weeks and likely make a mid-week start. If you start the week with them in your starting rotation anticipating their start, then don't expect to replace them and get a second start by another pitcher. We will cancel that move out and those pitchers will remain in your active roster, as they should.

This is now more work for Tom and me, so don't be afraid to point out these examples to us when you see them. STATS will send me a report each Friday night and in fact we'll reverse those moves on Saturday if needed. The intent of the rule is to help owners who suffer early-week injuries, not for owners to manipulate the rule for a two-start week.

Thanks all and I'm sorry I didn't notice this earlier. Good luck and thanks for the help going forward.

[ July 22, 2010, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:31 pm

can't wait to see the "explanation" on this one...

Greg Ambrosius

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

can't wait to see the "explanation" on this one... Well, that tells you a bit about my memory. I do not have that written anywhere in the rules nor did I even remember doing that last year. Again, I can't tell you if someone has done this move already or not so implementing this starting today wouldn't be right. It wouldn't be consistent if others have already been able to make these moves.

Either we put this rule in place and implement it automatically or people get the break if this happens. It's not prudent to do this manually each week.

[ July 22, 2010, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Asumijet

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Asumijet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:16 am

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

can't wait to see the "explanation" on this one... Well, that tells you a bit about my memory. I do not have that written anywhere in the rules nor did I even remember doing that last year. Again, I can't tell you if someone has done this move already or not so implementing this starting today wouldn't be right. It wouldn't be consistent if others have already been able to make these moves.

Either we put this rule in place and implement it automatically or people get the break if this happens. It's not prudent to do this manually each week.
[/QUOTE]I can say from experience that the swap rule was enforced last year. I received a polite note from the Commish clarifying the rule and notifying me of my error.

It was clear the transactions were being audited last year. So, I am not sure why that would have changed this year. Further, there would seem to be an inequity, if many of us have been managing under this rule, and others have not been held accountable to last year's decision.
Neal Moses

Money

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Money » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 am

Shouldn't this just be listed under "Breaks of the Game"? If a guy starts on Monday and then goes on the DL the system is set so that he can be replaced. Why manually override the system just let it play out.

By the way I have no pitchers involved in this current scenario.
Joe

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:11 am

Originally posted by Asumijet:

It was clear the transactions were being audited last year. So, I am not sure why that would have changed this year. Further, there would seem to be an inequity, if many of us have been managing under this rule, and others have not been held accountable to last year's decision. unfortunately this is correct

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:22 am

[/QUOTE]in order to play (and enjoy) this game, i (and others) need to know the rules of this game AHEAD OF TIME and know they are ENFORCED. this NFBC year has been different than past NFBC years in that regard. no longer am i (and others) clear of all the rules.

this DL rule change was implemented last year, but we find out on July 23rd it's not being enforced for this year. :confused:

on another note, the FAAB pool has minor league players (dan hudson, mcdonald, etc) added to it without them actually being called up?? :confused:

it's very tough to enjoy this season when the rules are not being enforced. :(

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:29 am

so, for the remainder of this year, we can:

1. start a DL pitcher on Monday

2. remove the DL pitcher BEFORE he comes off the DL a

3. replace him with a pitcher for Fri-Sun

is this correct?

if so, i will inform all of my subsidiaries to begin employing this strategy where applicable

[ July 23, 2010, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Greg Ambrosius

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:02 am

Originally posted by Gekko:

is this correct?

if so, i will inform all of my subsidiaries to begin employing this strategy where applicable It's certainly the way the system is set up and the way it's been handled so far. I'm not about to rule a different way just because you brought up an old thread where this was discussed. At no point did anyone ask this to be part of the rules changes for this year and I certainly didn't think of making a change here.

So do what the system lets you do, just like I'm sure others have been doing before this discussion. And if the masses feel like this is something that needs to be addressed before the 2011 season, we'll address it and see if there's a way to program a change. Doing it manually is not the way to go for a full season when you have 180+ leagues.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:08 am

is this correct?

if so, i will inform all of my subsidiaries to begin employing this strategy where applicable It's certainly the way the system is set up and the way it's been handled so far. I'm not about to rule a different way just because you brought up an old thread where this was discussed. At no point did anyone ask this to be part of the rules changes for this year and I certainly didn't think of making a change here.

So do what the system lets you do, just like I'm sure others have been doing before this discussion. And if the masses feel like this is something that needs to be addressed before the 2011 season, we'll address it and see if there's a way to program a change. Doing it manually is not the way to go for a full season when you have 180+ leagues.
[/QUOTE]i haven't done what has been talked about here this year because i thought it was illegal (based on you closing this loophole last year). and i had multiple chances to get two starts out of using a DL pitcher (Mon - Thu) and a non-DL pitcher (Fri - Sun) this year.

now i know this is within the rules again. thanks for addressing this issue.

Asumijet

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Asumijet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:59 am

is this correct?

[/QUOTE]I am sorry, but at no point was the mid-week DL swap written in the rules last year, but the rule was interpreted by the Commish and enforced. It was stated that the intent of the DL rule was not to start and switch. So, why would the intent and interpretation be any different this year? Maybe I am missing you point and if so I apologize.
Neal Moses

Greg Ambrosius

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Neal, I can't enforce a rule I'm not aware of. Let's admit, nobody has talked about this since last April. The post Mark resurrected had a last posting of April. Nobody brought this up to me after that, during the off-season or even until now. I honestly couldn't even recall this whole debate until seeing the previous thread.

So when was I supposed to enforce this? Today? And for those who are competing in the NFBC for the first time, do we refer them to last year's thread to explain this?? How do we even explain what you want me to enforce today to anyone competing and not knowing anything about the so-called "John Smoltz Rule?"

I enjoy being consistent more than you do Neal, but again, we're suddenly bringing this up and referring to last year's discussion and mad at me for not jumping in previously on the fly to a topic that NOBODY brought up until this week??
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:16 pm

[ July 23, 2010, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:17 pm

[ July 23, 2010, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Sebadiah23

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Sebadiah23 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 pm

I don't know what everyone else did, but I personally respected the rule and left in Buchholz despite having Matusz or Gutierrez who I could have put in for the weekend.

Hopefully those who knew about the rule and respected it get rewarded by the Fantasy Gods.

-Craig
We drove 22 miles, country around Farmington. Signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. Cars,tour bus,cameras;postcards sold.

No one sees the barn,

They are taking pictures of taking pictures
-Don DeLillo
@Sebadiah23, IG:sebadiah26

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Originally posted by Sebadiah23:

I don't know what everyone else did, but I personally respected the rule and left in Buchholz despite having Matusz or Gutierrez who I could have put in for the weekend.

Hopefully those who knew about the rule and respected it get rewarded by the Fantasy Gods.

-Craig where is Fast Money in this thread???? Unless he's a hypocrite he should be tracking down and bashing people who went against the rules here. step up Joe (unless u are a hypocrite)

Asumijet

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Asumijet » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:59 am

Neal, I can't enforce a rule I'm not aware of. Let's admit, nobody has talked about this since last April. The post Mark resurrected had a last posting of April. Nobody brought this up to me after that, during the off-season or even until now. I honestly couldn't even recall this whole debate until seeing the previous thread.

So when was I supposed to enforce this? Today? And for those who are competing in the NFBC for the first time, do we refer them to last year's thread to explain this?? How do we even explain what you want me to enforce today to anyone competing and not knowing anything about the so-called "John Smoltz Rule?"Greg, I see your perspective. Let me see if I can summarize and make one final point. We have a ruling from last year, "John Smoltz Ruling" that was interpreted during the season and enforced by the Commish. It was not a new rule, but an interpretation of the intent of the existing Friday DL rule for pitchers. The Friday DL Rule is still in effect this year for pitchers. Those that participated last year and were aware of the ruling, were told no changing a DL'ed pitcher that subsequently pitches Mon-Thur with another pitcher for the weekend games before they come of the DL. We were told those transactions would be monitored and reversed going forward. There was no reason to assume the interpretation of the rule would change from year to year. Many of us reasonably assumed the interpretation of the Friday DL Rule for pitchers was still in effect and being monitored. Clearly, this was not the case. Have I missed anything?

So, how do we learn from this? Because there is an inequity and my assumption is the contest would prefer to avoid such inequities in the future. Fair?

Suggestion- The "Smoltz Ruling" should have never been made in the first place. And by that, and to your point above, if it is not written in the rules, regardless of intent or loophole, then don't attempt to eliminate loop holes without rewriting the rules and definitely do not do it mid-season. In 2008, such practice was acceptable. After the 2009 season started. it was ruled that it violated the intent and not allowed going forward. In 2010, it was forgotten and there was confusion. We have races that are decided by razor thin margins including one win, one K, and .0001 percentages. Unwritten interpretations should not be part of the game, and they were last year, and presumed to be by many this year.

I enjoy being consistent more than you do Neal, but again, we're suddenly bringing this up and referring to last year's discussion and mad at me for not jumping in previously on the fly to a topic that NOBODY brought up until this week?? [/quote]

I, for one, am not mad at anyone. I do want to ensure that an issue is raised and corrected. It is not personal by any means. I apologize if it comes across that way. I will say that my assumption was that NOBODY should have needed to bring up the topic and that we believe the Commish is consistent. The fact that we assume that it was still the same ruling with the same action plan speaks to the trust most of us have in the contest and the Commish. I think we bring-up the issue and debate to help and not to assign blame or fault.
Neal Moses

Gekko

John Smoltz rule?

Post by Gekko » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:20 am

Neal - Can I hire you as my PR guy!! :D