how do the satellite drafts work?

ssmarsh

Post by ssmarsh » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:56 pm

Are these done live in person or are they over the net? Do they follow the same rules as the main event?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:11 am

they are done on mockdraftcentral. i've done a few of them and the site works great! good fun!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:12 am

sorry, missed this one...should be same rules.

ssmarsh

Post by ssmarsh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:41 am

Thanks, GG. I'm intrigued by the NFBC, even with the no trading rule, and might try and get my feet wet with a satellite next season.

Do they do the auction satellites over MDC as well?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:50 am

Originally posted by ssmarsh:

Thanks, GG. I'm intrigued by the NFBC, even with the no trading rule, and might try and get my feet wet with a satellite next season.

Do they do the auction satellites over MDC as well? no trading is the ONLY way to play IMO. NFBC is the best baseball contest out there!!! PM me if you want more details or have questions

they only do serp drafts on mockdraftcentral.com

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:56 am

The satellites are a great place to wet your feet. The rules are exactly the same, except for one small detail. The satellites are "league" only, so you are competing only against 14 others in your league. Where you can "tank" a category like saves or sb's and still compete well in your leauge, it is harder to do when you are trying to win $100K by scoring well against 390 or more overall teams.

I think starting with a couple of $125 satellites, or maybe a $250 league is a great way to see how you like the format. If you like what you see, there will still be time to jump into the main event; or wait till 2010 (wow, that seems far away) to give that a shot.

One note of interst - The guy who won $100K this year finished near the bottom of the overall (I think like 345th) the year before. That goes to show you that anyone can hit a home run.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Bobby J

Post by Bobby J » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks for reminding me, Pete, just kidding, last year was an absolute disaster. I was actually 389th in week 2 this year. Getting involved in the NFBC or NFFC is the ultimate in fantasy sports. I have tried many others and none compare to this. If you are trying to get your feet wet, do a couple of $125 satellites that are for a free entry and $200 for second. Makes it all that much better to get a free entry in the main for only $125.
Some Assembly Required

Bobby J

Post by Bobby J » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:35 pm

The auction leagues are on fantasy auctioneer, very well run site also
Some Assembly Required

ssmarsh

Post by ssmarsh » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. Satellites may be the way for me to go next year. After 9 years in a format which I love, it would be tough to fall in line with the NFBC rules. We'll see!

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:08 pm

I felt the same way - and dipped my feet in this year with a $125 Sat league. I won my league and now I will be going to the Main Event next year. I am excited about playing with the sharks this year and plan on playing in a couple of Sat leagues again. My advice: Don't think about it - do it!!

With the FAAB system - pickups once a week on Sun- you can play in your regular league and still manage your NFBC team easily.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

ssmarsh

Post by ssmarsh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:18 am

Thanks for the insight, Ryan. Once the satellite signups come out, I'll probably take a shot at one. Just have to break it to the wife that I'm joining another league.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:28 am

Originally posted by ssmarsh:

Thanks for the replies, guys. Satellites may be the way for me to go next year. After 9 years in a format which I love, it would be tough to fall in line with the NFBC rules. We'll see! ssmarsh, this was my first year in the NFBC. i did three satellite leagues. two $125 and one $250. i probably overdid it my first year. i would suggest no more than 2 leagues just to get used to the format, unless you have a lot of time on your hands. the drafts are great on MDC with an NFBC commisioner there at all times to make the draft go smoothly and correct any mistakes. if your an experienced player, the biggest adjustment will be the FAAB. you really need to be on you toes dealing with the free agents. i feel i've learned a lot this year, as i have plans to step up in 2009. if i can assist you with any other question, feel free to PM me.

good luck

bill

[ October 13, 2008, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: kentuckythunder ]
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

ssmarsh

Post by ssmarsh » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:10 am

Thanks for more great insight, Bill. My real world league is my main league, so I'd do one satellite at most. After 9 years of AL only auction play, I'll have to study up pretty hard on the NL guys and try and plan out a non-auction draft. Dealing with FAAB would be the least of my concerns.