Live Chat For Monday Starts Now

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:01 am

Okay, I'm here to take your questions for the next 50 minutes. I'll do this each day for the rest of the week leading up to our signing deadline. Let's get the questions and comments coming.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:02 am

Hi Greg,

I agree with having this live though you are early today by our clocks here in Fresno. But a question, I understand about the FAAB but what about our reserve squad is there going to be unlimate movement allowed between starters and relief (each week) ala ESPN or is their only going to be movement if we sign a FA?

Thanks Mark

--------------------

Fresno

Mark,

There will be unlimited movement allowed between your free agent roster and your active roster. Those six players on your reserve squad can be moved in and out of your starting lineup throughout the year. Make those final six picks count and be active during the year. Sound good?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

FresnoFanatics

Post by FresnoFanatics » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:03 am

Works for us Fresno types...yep sure does.....
Mark

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:05 am

Okay, I'll ask you guys a question. Where does Sheffield land now on Draft Day after this latest injury? He went for $35 on Friday night at the LABR draft, in case you wanted to know.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:08 am

Hey, I just got another online registration while I was sitting here. It's our third registration for the AL Auction League in New York today. Gotta like that. If you're online Ralph Boscaino of New Jersey, thanks for that one and we'll see you in New York.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Racktors

Post by Racktors » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:10 am

Sheffield will still be a top 20. IMHO Even if he misses some time he'll put up big numbers with the Yankee lineup.

seefer

Post by seefer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:11 am

If Urbina is not on a team by our draft day, is he eligible to be drafted in all 3 drafts (AL, NL, NFBC)?

Racktors

Post by Racktors » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:13 am

Greg are there still three spots open in the NL auction draft in Vegas?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:13 am

Could be top 20, unless that injury results in a few months of down time. Only time will tell how bad it is, but two weeks from now should be interesting. Thanks for the input.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:15 am

Yes, we still have three spots open for the NL Auction League in Las Vegas. Let's fill that baby up!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Racktors

Post by Racktors » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:19 am

How many teams were in your auction draft last weekend and was your auction budget $260?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:19 am

Thanks for asking that Urbina question because that is very important. Urbina most definitely can be drafted in the NFBC even if he's not on a team's 40-man roster and we'll announce that before the draft so that everyone is aware of that. He is going to sign before Opening Day, so there is no reason to punish anyone for drafting early.

However, my thought process in the Auction Leagues is different. He is not on a roster and although he last played in the NL, he is not on an NL roster yet. So he will not be allowed to be bid on during the auction portion of the draft, but can be added to both AL rosters and NL rosters during the reserve round process. His stats will only count for whatever league he eventually signs in. So if he's the first pick of the reserve round in the NL and he signs with Pittsburgh, you will have his stats all year long.

Any thoughts?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:22 am

It was a 13-team NL Auction with each team having 24 players and a $260 budget. Take my word for it, with the extra team in the league and the extra player per team, the pickin's get slim. It's easy to look at my team and say "wow, there are a lot of holes there." But trust me, everyone left with a lot of holes. Also, two teams were holding a majority of their money toward the end, so it was no time for the meek and mild as I decided to pay for some key guys rather than wait and overpay for the second-tier guys. It was a fun and interesting draft, but a tough one.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

seefer

Post by seefer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:22 am

Greg, I like the fact that he will be draftable. If he was not draftable and signed with a MLB team right before the season started, you'd have several guys willing to bid 75-100% of their FAAB money!

seefer

Post by seefer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:23 am

Which player went for the most $$ in the NL LABR draft?

Racktors

Post by Racktors » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:24 am

In your NL auction draft, why $32 for Andruw? Seems high.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:25 am

That's exactly right. The NFBC call is an easy one and it will be interesting to see where he lands. Now that Orlando Hernandez has signed with the Yankees, Urbina is the only "name" unsigned free agent left.

In the LABR Auction Leagues, Urbina was the top pick in each reserve draft. I took Hernandez in the NL like in the fifth round and then found out that night he had signed with an AL team. Such is life, but I'll still hang onto him on my reserve roster and if he somehow gets traded to the NL I will get his stats.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Rey

Post by Rey » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:25 am

Were any "regular Joe's" allowed in this years LABR? I think I read a few years ago where some regular guy was allowed to compete in LABR (I could be mistaken).

Any chance the winner of this years NFBC be given entry into next years LABR? Just an idea.

Rey

Post by Rey » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:28 am

One of the many things about this season that has me thinking is the effect the new Dimensions of Kaufman Stadium will have on Royal hitter outputs. Traditionally a hitters park, the fences are being pushed back 10 feet. It makes me wonder if Beltran may be more a 20/30 guy than a 30/30 guy. He's going as high as #2 or #3 in some drafts. To justify that selection, he better go 30/30. Don't you think?

[ March 08, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Rey ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:29 am

I'm a strong believer in Bill James' Age 27 strategy, which basically says that most players who have been in the majors by the age of 21 will have breakout seasons at the age of 27 or 28. Jones has been in the league eight years and doesn't turn 27 until April 23. I'm gambling that the best is yet to come.

I might be wrong, but I'm also hoping that he runs more this year, although when I suggested that every LABR "expert" said I was crazy. Remember, he stole 20, 27, 24 and 21 bases from 1997-2000 and only four last year. The Braves may have to manufacture runs more this year and I'm hoping he runs a little. I'm probably wrong on that one, but it was worth it.

I had Jones at $29 and I paid $32. Sometimes you have to do that.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Racktors

Post by Racktors » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:30 am

After seeing Tom Kessenich's post about Sheffield being out up to three months, may have to revise the top 20 guess. But we should know alot more about the injury by the time we get to Vegas.

seefer

Post by seefer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:31 am

I have not read anywhere what type of park the Phills will have this year. Do you know if it is supposed to be a hitter's or pitcher's park?

[ March 08, 2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: seefer ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:31 am

Yes, six "Regular Guys" were in the AL and six others in the NL. All of them more than held their own, although two of them in the NL held onto their money a little too long. They wound up competing against each other for second-tier guys and possibly overpaying there.

John Hunt and myself are the only original LABR guys who have been in the league since its inception in 1994. We'll see if the NFBC champion can earn a spot in LABR next year, if John decides to go that route again. John said he got over 250 requests from his readers to be in LABR this year, but I'll definitely put in a good word for our champion and see if he can get in. Good suggestion.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:33 am

Do you see me as the morning-line favorite to win the $100,000? :eek:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:35 am

Kauffman Stadium moved its fences in 10 feet this year and it will definitely have an offensive effect on Royals' hitters this year. People may not realize it, but Kauffman Stadium was the AL's version of Coors Field last year. So keep that in mind on Draft Day. I'm sure Juan Gonzalez was bummed to hear that as he hated the new Ballpark at Arlington when its fences were back, he hated Comerica Park when those fences were back and now he's going to Kansas City, who just decided to move their fences in. Sheeesh.

As for Beltran, he hit 26 homers last year and I believe more were hit on the road than at home. The key with him is the fact that he stole 41 bases last year. If he goes 25-40, he'll still be worth a top pick.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius