Slow Draft Etiquete

Money

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by Money » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm participating in a couple of slow drafts. One is super slow and one is going at a decent clip. Not sure if others are having frustrations with fellow league members but I know folks in my league are not necessarily on the same page. Most are very, very considerate. It only takes one to screw it up.

1. Is it a crime to say (on the message board) that you'll be away for an extended period of time? It helps everyone else plan accordingly.

2. Past round 20 (I use it earlier) why not use the auto draft? If you think it will get back to you simply ask the others in the league to hold it up if it does. Give them an estimated time of return.

3. If you're at either end this should be simple. Nothing worse than seeing the guy in the 14 spot pick, 15 takes his two picks and it takes many hours to get (the 14 spot or 13 or 12) to pick again.

4. Last night on our message board it was implied that folks are stalling waiting for injury information that will come down the road. This is not what these drafts are intended for. It's a learning process.

These drafts need to be completed by the time the season starts. Please feel free to comment here on how to move the process along. Simple common courtesy should be the rule of the day.

We all have lives to live. Lets make this as simple as possible. I apologize if this came off as a rant.
Joe

RedRyder

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by RedRyder » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:28 am

A HUGE improvement for next year would be Auto Pick or Auto Draft by round. I won't use Auto Pick at all in these drafts, can't rely on my leaguemates (no matter who they are or how much respect I have for them) to hold up if it gets back to me. What if they aren't on when I post to the MB and never see my message...which leads to another improvement suggestion: Can the draft MB be designed so we can see previous posts that were made throughout the day?

Cocktails and Dreams

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:51 am

I suggested that also and Greg said he would see that the round by round auto is in play next year. It is critical to moving these along better.

High Octane Baseball

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by High Octane Baseball » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:20 pm

ya we have several people that will not go on auto cause they want to only do it for one round and not for multiple picks.

So far we pretty much end each night on the same person and it can become frustrating but we are 31 rds deep.

I am worried though as these later rounds are taking ALOT longer than the mid teens and rds 20-29

DOUGHBOYS

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Since we're doing ideas for next year-

It'd be nice to have a 'in-out' message center next to each of the drafters name to easily alert others when to expect a drafter back. It seems it's too much of a bother for some to leave notes on the message board in the draft.

The one round auto is paramount. A must for next year.

Time stamps on each message board post.

An audio alert for when it is our turn.

A grid so that we can see each teams roster as the draft unfolds.

As for the thread starter, common courtesy is the key. If a drafter will not be checking online for a long time, just leave a note so others won't have to check all the time as well.

If you can count on somebody in your draft, you can leave your team on auto for one round and ask the trusted party not to draft till you get back for the following rounds.

The slo drafts that really click are when most drafters are of a like mind. The contract drafts that KJ ran and were frequented by mostly veterans who like a fast, slo draft was optimum.

When slow folks mix with fast, it creates frustration and aggravation from both sides.

Next year, I'm going to try and recruit fast drafters for a slo draft to minimize my own frustration.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Jim Christie

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by Jim Christie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Well Dan, that e-mail Slow Draft was the fastest Slow Draft I have ever participated in
"Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

DOUGHBOYS

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Those e-mail drafts rocked.

We'll definetly do those again, Jim.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Plymouth

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by Plymouth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Why not just program an option that will automatically text you when your turn comes up. All the drafters would need to do in the beginning of the draft would be to enter their text address. Of course you could add a feature that does not text between the hours of so and so at night and then resumes sending the text at a reasonable hour in the morning.

Another thing that would be nice is if you could have drafts set up by time zones too.

Thunder

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by Thunder » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:01 pm

The best slow drafts are done with people you're used to drafting with and/or people you know. Anytime you routinely sign up for one, you're at the mercy of the draft. I like the suggestion of the one round auto pick. But, if you're in a group as I stated above, that's a moot point.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

Money

Slow Draft Etiquete

Post by Money » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Since we're doing ideas for next year-

It'd be nice to have a 'in-out' message center next to each of the drafters name to easily alert others when to expect a drafter back. It seems it's too much of a bother for some to leave notes on the message board in the draft.

The one round auto is paramount. A must for next year.

Time stamps on each message board post.

An audio alert for when it is our turn.

A grid so that we can see each teams roster as the draft unfolds.

As for the thread starter, common courtesy is the key. If a drafter will not be checking online for a long time, just leave a note so others won't have to check all the time as well.

If you can count on somebody in your draft, you can leave your team on auto for one round and ask the trusted party not to draft till you get back for the following rounds.

The slo drafts that really click are when most drafters are of a like mind. The contract drafts that KJ ran and were frequented by mostly veterans who like a fast, slo draft was optimum.

When slow folks mix with fast, it creates frustration and aggravation from both sides.

Next year, I'm going to try and recruit fast drafters for a slo draft to minimize my own frustration. Excellant points Mr. Dough. I'm in a few and right now and a couple of them are still in the middle teen rounds. Not sure we can make it through.

The comments will all help for next year and possibly some will read and think about their approach this year. Thanks for the comments.
Joe