NFBC Weekly Profile - Ken Magner

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:16 am

Pitching and power. Start with some strong starting pitching and mix in a touch of potent power production and the result should be recipe for fantasy success.

It sounds so simple, doesn’t it?

The formula may sound relatively easy but carrying out the plan over the course of a 26-week baseball season requires far more than rudimentary skills. As a longtime fantasy player, Ken Magner is well aware of that.

But so far, the pitching and power combination has worked out well for Magner in the National Fantasy Baseball Championship’s Double Play event. With three months of the season left to play, Magner is hoping that formula will power his team to the top of the standings at season’s end.

Magner’s team is moving up the standings in the Double Play event and entering play on Wednesday his team was in third place and mere points out of second.

“The key to success, to date, has been that my first 10 selections were strong building blocks,” Magner said. “The pitching staff had two true aces in Roy Halladay and Josh Johnson from the early rounds. The hitters have stayed healthy and after locking in the power on the corenrs with Ryan Zimmerman and Justin Morneau, I focused on guys that would bring both power and speed to some degree in Derek Jeter and Shane Victorino.

“More importantly, I listed to my son Kenny in Round 8 when he made his pitch for Colorado Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez. I wanted to wait until Round 9 for Cargo but Kenny reminded me that our good friend and Colorado native Bob Mazur was drafting next to us in the four slot and would surely make us regret passing on the Rockie’s up-and-coming star.”

Father took son’s advice to heart and the decision has paid off well for their team. Another important element has been the additional year’s experience Magner received competing in the NFBC’s 12-team event for the first time last year.

“Last year was the first chance I had with the 12-team format,” he said. “My initial thought was that to make play for the big money, the pitching decimals (ERA/WHIP) were going to have to be exceptional. I wanted to move early for Ace-type pitchers and surround the building blocks with strong K/9 types. In addition, I felt three closers were important and they also had to be strong strikeout type arms.

“Tim Lincecum fit the bill in 2009. This year, we started with Roy Halladay and Josh Johnson. We’ve been very fortunate that Francisco Liriano (Round 15) and Matt Latos (Round 23) have also produced like true aces.

“The pen plan worked but again it was my son Kenny that provided the key suggestion. We drafted Brian Wilson (Round 9), Frank Francisco (Round 14) and Matt Lindstrom (Round 21). When you get to the last seven rounds in any draft, any productive player you draft that works out is a big shot in the arm. Neftali Feliz was the perfect insurance policy to Francisco in Round 25 and once again it was Kenny that made the suggestion.”

Not every decision has panned out the way Magner expected. He laid off the catcher position early and took Miguel Montero as his first catcher in th3 11th round. Unfortunately, Montero got hurt and has been a disappointment.

On the plus side, Magner used the Waiver Wire to his advantage to address that area of need, picking up John Buck to replace Montero. Jose Guillen, Bronson Arroyo, Edwin Jackson, Madison Bumgarner and A.J. Burnett have also been quality free-agent pickups.

Magner is no stranger to being positioned to win this event. Last year, he was in first place from mid-June until the final week of the season before being overtaken by eventual champ Lindy Hinkelman.

So Magner understands there is still plenty of season left to be played. Still, it’s not easy to avoid taking a peek at the standings and thinking about what awaits the champion when all 26 weeks of the season are in the books.

“You think about the final all the time, but the journey to get to the wire first carries all the fun,” said Magner, who first started playing CDM Challenge games in the late 90s. “I look forward to the next 12 weeks and hope I’m still checking box scores on the final day of the season.”

To reach that point, Magner must not only outlast the more than 800 teams in the overall event but also the 11 competitors in his individual league. That’s no mean feat considering the level of talent he’s competing with, including former NFBC Main Event champion Bobby Jurney, longtime CDM/Fanball player Emmett Ruland, Bob Mazur, who has a team in the Top 10 of the NFBC Classic this year and Ryan Adkins, who has had one of the top teams in the league throughout the season.

While the competition is fierce, the rivalry is friendly and has deepened the bond Magner shares with many of his fellow NFBC competitors.

“The friendships formed over the years doing both the NFBC and NFFC are priceless,” he said. “Bottom line, I’ve been (in the NFBC) since Day 1 and hope to do so for many seasons to come.”

The 46-year-old Magner has been married for 17 years and works as a police sergeant in Bayonne, N.J. He and his wife, Paula, have two children, including the aforementioned Kenny, who Ken describes as the “brains of the operation.”

“He thinks a good baseball season means we should invest more in the NFFC this fall,” Ken said. “That’s my boy.”

[ July 07, 2010, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:16 am

Great to see Ken get a well deserved profile. Great dude and a roto stud!

Asumijet

Post by Asumijet » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:36 am

One of the classiest gentlemen I have had the opportunity to meet and compete against in this competition. Good luck Ken!
Neal Moses

godfather's dean's list

Post by godfather's dean's list » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:39 am

sergeant and son:; if anyone can do it, you can

whipsaw

Post by whipsaw » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:51 am

awesome writeup and tons of good quotes. sounds like a very cool dude.

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:13 am

For the benefit of the MB, I'll repeat what I already told Ken and Chip after that Live DP draft. I was sitting there in the 8th round waiting for the Magner braintrust to make their selection, as I was next. I had already crossed Cargo off my list because he wasn't getting past me. Ken and Chip were whispering to each other. I couldn't here what they were saying, except for the last sentence Ken conveyed to Chip in a louder voice, obviously after they had a decided: "Okay Chip, I think it's a little early, but if you want him............................Carlos Gonzalez!" Like I told you then Ken "You ######'S" :D

Truthfully, even if they let Cargo slip to me they would have also had to have taken Kendry, Chase, and V-Mart to have made my team fit for something other than a flock of circling carrion birds! Now, if it was the first time Ken's left me in the dust like this I'd simply chalk it up to chance, but this is unfortunately becoming a trend. In other words, in the future I think I'm going to limit my sitting across the table from Ken and Chip to the Imperial Palace's breakfast buffet! Great job so far boys I'll be rooting for you.

Disclaimer: Due to recent MB posts suggesting collusive behavior in other leagues, let me just say that while I'm rooting for Ken and Chip as friends, I'll be fighting like hell to get into 9th place! Neither of us would have it any other way ;)
bob

Closter Knickerbockers

Post by Closter Knickerbockers » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:00 am

Having partnered with Ken over on the Challenge games side almost every year since 2002, I've seen both his week-in/week-out managing skills and his ability to imagine who that unheralded gem producer will be. And as for Kenny The Chip chiming in with great ideas ... trust me, this has been going on since he was in "single digits". Pulling for "youse guys" (as a fellow Jersey boy should put it) to bring it all home this year. Go, baby, go !

LONG GONE

Post by LONG GONE » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 am

First class owner! Who Greg should turn into a star with his new radio show. Let's get him on Greg!!! Would like interview this owner myself.

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 am

I agree with Oak nice profile on a Great fantasy player but BETTER friend.

Like Tom Z East, I have also partnered with Ken over time and he has made me a better fantasy player. When I first tried CDM in 2001 Ken gave this newcomer some solid advice without asking anything in return; a guy willing to help out someone who was new.

Just to echo what Ken alluded to; the friendships I have gained in this hobby called Fantasy Baseball and Football have been Amazing.

Thanks Ken for all the support over the years!!!!!
"Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 am

Originally posted by LONG GONE:

First class owner! Who Greg should turn into a star with his new radio show. Let's get him on Greg!!! Would like interview this owner myself. From the looks of things, maybe we need to get Chip on Sirius Radio!! :D He's the star of this team.

Congrats Sack & Chip and as you know, it's still a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go!! You've been in these marathons before and you know how every hit, every run, every strikeout counts. Good luck to you and congrats on the fast starts with several of your teams, not just this one. I know it's making the baseball season more fun and doing it as a father-son team is as good as it gets with me.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Congrats to an obviously very well respected player and person.

Loved the part where the son guides the father.

In a few years I hope to have my own now 2-year old son giving me sage advice at future NFBC drafts.

Glenn

[ July 07, 2010, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 pm

I know for a fact Sack loved him some Cherry Garcia back in March. "Scooped" him up every damn league that I saw. Grate picking man ! :D

Juan LYB

Post by Juan LYB » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Atta boy, err boys...

Nice to see the write up on a quality player and person. Keep up the great work, Sack!(you too Chip)

It takes a keen horsesence to manage squads the way you two do!!!

Catch

Post by Catch » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:45 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

I know for a fact Sack loved him some Cherry Garcia back in March. "Scooped" him up every damn league that I saw. Grate picking man ! :D Ken, great season yet again. Keep up the good work. When SACK talks, CATCH listens....thanks for the Jaime Garcia sleeper pick as we landed him on all 4 NFBC teams. Next time throw out more sleeper picks my way.

One item not mentioned in the great writeup is Ken's daughter.....shout out to Kristen!

Ken you are a true friend, an officer and a gentleman

Cowboy Joe

Post by Cowboy Joe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:06 am

First time competing directly against the Magner duo. When they walked into the draft, I thought how great it was for a father and son to share this hobby.

As they left the draft, all I could think was damn, those guys are tough.

Congrats on your season(s) so far.
I feel like I'm the Jerry Quarry of the NFBC.

Bob Enzyte

Post by Bob Enzyte » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:47 am

We all know that Chip is the brains behind this dynamic duo, but he had a pretty good teacher. Bring it home boys.

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 am

I know im late to the party but have to say great start.We know who Chip is as he was the board guy in New Jersey and blew everybody away as he knew every player that was spit out.My son Dom couldnt believe it and Sack it's so cool that your kid has the same passion as you in this wonderful game we love.It wont be long before Chip will be having his own teams in the nfbc and making his own mark. Great guy's and good luck.
EDWARD J GILLIS

RichV

Post by RichV » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 am

Nice to see Ken and Chip get some pub. Not only is Ken a great roto player, great friend, but most importantly, a great dad. Class act all the way!!

Keep it up guys. You know I'm pullin' for ya!

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:44 am

Lots to echo here but Ken is a true friend. If he tosses a nugget of advice out there, it's worth it to listen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

Money

Post by Money » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:09 pm

I applaud the Sack on putting together a great season. I would be re-miss not to mention my "Live" introduction to the NFBC and High Stakes Fantasy Baseball.

I entered this year knowing I'd get schooled and looked at it as an investment in the future. In the back of my mind I thought I could compete, boy was I wrong.

I showed up at the Bellagio expecting everyone to play by the given rules. I was met with a major confrontation by the Sack and Greg over the amount of space allotted to his group for the draft. Funny thing is he brought THREE people. The rules clearly stated two and he had a Hissy over his lack of space and was allowed to have Three. I left a major resource at home to conform by the rules. He did not and complained vigorously about it. Did it change the outcome? ABSOLUTELY NOT. They are very deserving of their current position. I simply don't share all of the lovey dovey sentiment.

I have no problem with the way the draft was conducted and left with a very positive impression of the entire NFBC Live experience.

I apologize if this offends anyone, that is not my intent. Just thought I should voice my view.
Joe

Money

Post by Money » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:15 pm

Just for clarification, the draft I was referring to was a Super league.
Joe

Sack

Post by Sack » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Fast Money / Joe

Where should I start? I'll begin by saying I'll confirm the fact that prior to the Super League I did in fact have a rather heated discussion with Greg about the space provided for the Super League. You failed to mention that Greg actually entered the room before we started and I asked to speak with him in PRIVATE outside of the draft room. Having done higher stakes leagues in the past such as $5000 Auction Leagues and $2500 Super Leagues that are at times done via phone it should be noted that normally there is plenty of room provided, as such, it is common to have more than two people at a draft table. I can think of a prominent and well respected team that always are alloted three spaces. My discussion with Greg needed a follow up that we took care of in private. Understand that is where that will stay.

I spoke out that day because ( as Greg would probably admit ) in prior years we were alloted, and I expected, the same amount of room as if we had 15 owners at the table. Did you know that my partner is hard of hearing? He kicked in $1250 for that team and we needed to find a way to communicate in that room without speaking. We found a way to make it work.

Considering that you brought up the fact that I had an additional person at the table, it must of been a concern. I wish you would have spoken up four months ago at the live draft instead of introducing "sour grapes" on a thread that is designed to be positive, not negative.

This thread has been here for almost one month. Needless to say, I'm amazed that you've chosen this time to air your issue with me. You need not apologize, outside of me, I don't know who you could possibly be looking to offend. Mission accomplished.

By the posts on this thread, prior to your addition, you'll clearly see that most everybody I've come in contact with during these live events has come away with a positive result.

I won't get into a posting war with you Joe. Because we are in the same league my email is posted within our league. I would have thought more of you if you took this up with me privately.

That option is still open to you. Best of luck over the final nine weeks.

Ken Magner / Sack

[ August 01, 2010, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Sack ]

Money

Post by Money » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:22 pm

Fair enough Ken. It's simply bothered me from day one because I left someone home that could have helped me. I followed the rules and thought everyone had to as well. I believe for this amount of money the rules should be black and white. It was not a level playing field.

As I stated you have earned your spot and I DO NOT believe this had any bearing on the outcome. Just wish I'd have been afforded the same resources.

Ken, we have no problem, just hope that everyone next year is afforded the same opportunities.

Good luck the rest of the way......
Joe

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Originally posted by Sack:

you'll clearly see that most everybody I've come in contact with during these live events has come away with a positive result.

add me to that list Ken!

btw, GREAT job. top notch owner (again)!! :cool:

Sack

Post by Sack » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:52 pm

JOE,

Understood, case closed on this end and as stated earlier, good luck the rest of the way in baseball and for the NFFC Ultimate come September.

Mark, thanks. Back at you for a fine showing this season, finish strong.