I Wonder.......

Glenneration X

I Wonder.......

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:41 pm

I think we can all acknowledge that there's been issues with the software & backend that would have been better addressed prior to Opening Day & has created a sense of frustration for the players in this contest and the contest providers as well.

That said, the way one reacts to controversy says a lot about the person. Personally I can understand the concerns, I've posted more than my share. What I can't understand is the antagonistic, hostile, & combative manner in which many of them are made.

I wonder how many would have a similar tone to their complaints, a similar level of vitriole, a similar lack of sensitivity if they were stating their concerns face to face to their targets instead of being seperated by hundreds of miles and connected only via an internet connection.

If Greg or Tom or even Ryan was standing next to you, would you be shouting in their face about how much this contest now sucks, how Fanball always sucked, how the integrity of this contest no longer exists, and how noone associated with the contest has been honest about the issues?

If John was next to you, would you get in his face & tell him how he and his staff should all be fired?

If Shawn Childs was next to you, would you still call him a shill?

I wonder.

I call this phenomenon message board balls. It's easy to talk sh*t behind a user name protected by the cloak of anonomity that a message board provides.

It's another thing altogether to remain respectful of others, to keep your decorum, and to continue to express your views within the recognized parameters of appropriate behavior whether isolated behind a keyboard or in person.

I wonder how many will now consider me a brown noser or an ass kisser or even a shill as anyone who has shown any support for those trying to repair the situation has been called. Feel free to call me anything you'd like. Just please also feel free to come to NYC for the NFFC draft in September to do so in person as well.

Glenn

[ April 19, 2010, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

sportsbettingman

I Wonder.......

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Ha

Ha

Ha.

Yet another thread.

...a "say it to my face" thread to boot.

"That said, the way one reacts to controversy says a lot about the person." (???)

These are just customers complaining about being promised something, paying for that something...and not getting that something...even now it's bare bones minimal. It's a game. Not even a hint of real controversy here.

If any of the folks you mention were in my face at the time of writing a post, it would save me the time of typing. Other than that...nothing would change.

Most people have these things called moods...they add to our life experience believe it or not. Good ones pump out praising posts, bad ones tend to whine. This is your second season, right?

When I go on vacation to enjoy a live draft in freaking my favorite town (Vegas)...all game problems are the furthest thing from my mind, and I love all the folks in this event. I'm there to enjoy myself...not recall some past anger or throw down. Give me a break with the internet balls crap.

The best lovers don't talk about their relationships.

The best fighters don't feel the need to bark or brag.

The most honest people never feel the need to say "I promise" or "trust me"...it's a given.

[ April 19, 2010, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Paul Gromek

I Wonder.......

Post by Paul Gromek » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:56 pm

shill

;)

[ April 19, 2010, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Paul Gromek ]

rkulaski

I Wonder.......

Post by rkulaski » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:05 pm

GlennX,

Good points. Everyone seems to spit fire on these messageboards lately. Some of it is justified but some of it goes overboard. Let me be one of the few to admit even I've gone overboard at times.

Last week, I even questioned some guy's integrity because of a lineup issue during the whole free agent debacle. In retrospect, that was silly of me and this guy didn't deserve any of my comments or others questioning his character. I hate to even bring it up again because my intention is not draw attention to it again. Anyways, my point is some of us have gone overboard at times. I admire the way Greg has handled himself through all of this. Classy as always.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Glenneration X

I Wonder.......

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

"That said, the way one reacts to controversy says a lot about the person." (???)

These are just customers complaining about being promised something, paying for that something...and not getting that something...even now it's bare bones minimal. It's a game. Not even a hint of real controversy here.

Exactly Lance. That's why I don't understand why some of these posts have been so hostile.

Lance, I understand what you're saying above. I don't think anyone can deny that there have been issues that are deserving of criticism. I'm just saying that we all have a choice on how we present our critique.

We can make it in the form of a suggestion or recommendation, one even strongly worded in order to get our message across.....

Or we can cross the line and get abusive, get personal, go for our pound of flesh.

I just feel that far too many posts have crossed that line. If you feel otherwise, you're entitled to your opinion.

As far as the rest of your post, I'm sorry but I'm having trouble understanding what any of it means. :cool:

Glenn

[ April 19, 2010, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

The Franchise

I Wonder.......

Post by The Franchise » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Glenn,

I think it's human nature to piggy back off of negativity towards something that went wrong or failed at some point.

I mean, what the hell? Every time you turn on the News all they talk about is something bad that occurred or some corrupt company. You never hear..... "nothing new to report viewers, everything went as normal today" ;)

I like to live on the optimistic side. I don't like to see things fail or not work out and if they do how do we fix it. There is always a solution for everything. I have always told my managers this........It's fine to report the problem, but have a solution in mind.

In this case it's a little different because it's the customers complaining, but there is a proper way to complain. This game is a way for me to escape from the "real world". Of course there is a good amount of money on the line, but it needs to be fun. I think we take that for granted sometimes.

1.There are very few High Stakes leagues out there that you can trust.

2. There are very few High Stakes leagues that if you win you can trust that they will payout.

3. There are very few leagues out there that if you win, you can claim to be one of the best. (Sorry Yahoo, ESPN and CBS don't do it for me)

Does anyone actually think Greg and Tom are enjoying themselves or their jobs right now, knowing that we the customer have concerns or an issue always coming up every week. These guys pride themselves on being the best in customer service, period. Doesn't matter if it's Fantasy Baseball or a retail shop in the mall. I would love for all my managers to have the attitude they have when handling a problem or putting out fires. Even with all the **** that's happened, I still don't think any of it has affected the chances of my teams winning or losing...

Like Shawn said I don't think Mickolio is going to cost anyone their league title. Yes, he should have been available and heck I even wanted to bid on him but **** happens sometimes and based on my experience so far with these guys I know they will fix it and make good on the rest of the season. No need to be asking for refunds because you can't bid on Mickolio, Right? (aka. no you won't) :rolleyes: :D

I would never think of asking for a refund because after I draft my teams weather Baseball or Football, I feel they are worth more than the entry fee at that point.

Hopefully we can get past this and start getting some good/entertaining posts on here about the Baseball season.
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

GOD Loves You

I Wonder.......

Post by GOD Loves You » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

If Greg or Tom or even Ryan was standing next to you, would you be shouting in their face about how much this contest now sucks, how Fanball always sucked, how the integrity of this contest no longer exists, and how noone associated with the contest has been honest about the issues?

The thing is, many of us would relish the opportunity to speak face to face, not to lynch, but to actually get some real answers.....from both the verbal response, as well as the body response.......in addition to offering TRUE constructive criticism. (my bluntness actually gets me in trouble at times)

If I was the head of a company, I would want to know EVERYTHING bad about it, I wouldn't want to be living in fantasyland like many. The sad thing is, from my experience in management/life, many people do not want to hear the truth, they only want to hear what's well and good, but a true leader prefers the former over the latter.

I'll ask you, Glenn, prior to this season, how many fanball leagues did you participate? Some of us have experienced this ever since a commish decided to have fanball host our leagues, results or lack thereof, are driving many of the postings here....not the "Mr. Internet tough guy" thing.

If people are speaking the truth....non-relative truth, what is wrong with that if we want to see this become what it should??

Glenneration X

I Wonder.......

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

The thing is, many of us would relish the opportunity to speak face to face, not to lynch, but to actually get some real answers.....from both the verbal response, as well as the body response.......in addition to offering TRUE constructive criticism. (my bluntness actually gets me in trouble at times)

If I was the head of a company, I would want to know EVERYTHING bad about it, I wouldn't want to be living in fantasyland like many. The sad thing is, from my experience in management/life, many people do not want to hear the truth, they only want to hear what's well and good, but a true leader prefers the former over the latter.

I'll ask you, Glenn, prior to this season, how many fanball leagues did you participate? Some of us have experienced this ever since a commish decided to have fanball host our leagues, results or lack thereof, are driving many of the postings here....not the "Mr. Internet tough guy" thing.

If people are speaking the truth....non-relative truth, what is wrong with that if we want to see this become what it should??
[/QUOTE]Hello GLY, my exposure to Fanball prior to the NFBC consisted of a Diamond Challenge team last year, a couple football playoff salary teams last year, the FFOC last year, an NFBBC league this past season, and as a commissioner product for my local football league the last few years. I wouldn't say I was necessarily impressed with my Fanball experiences up to that point and expressed my concerns based on these experiences through the boards whenever Greg asked for feedback & comments about Fanball in the months following the sale.

That said, our current product is better in some aspects than what Fanball offered in those prior experiences. It is also better in some regards to what I've seen in my past experiences with TQ Stats, CBS, and even STATS. In other ways, its worse. However, I believe it is still a work in progress and am hopeful that when all is said and done, it becomes a product that we are all very satisfied with.

However I think you (and Lance) missed the main point of my original post.

This thread was not meant to be another debating the positives & negatives or the successes & failures of the Fanball backend. That topic is discussed more than enough everywhere else.

This thread was also not meant to be a suggestion of whether or not Fanball deserves criticism for their mistakes. I personally have posted my concerns with different problems on several occassions. In response to your question, there's nothing wrong with the truth.

This thread IS a suggestion that some posts (not all) have crossed a line of civility that have turned these boards toxic. While there is nothing wrong with expressing concern and providing recommendations or feedback (positive or negative), in my mind its another matter to provide a scorched earth post that does nothing but inflame an already hot atmosphere. In my mind its another matter to just repeat a concern over and over day after day whether its already been acknowledged as something to be addressed already or not. In my mind its another matter when it gets personal.

Greg has already stated in his last post last night that he's been chased from these boards by these posts. If accurate, that would be a great shame and diminishes this contest.

I've also witnessed in recent weeks other players that I've met or spoken to on several occassions and like and/or respect such as Mark Srebro and Ryan Carey and most recently Shawn Childs be subject to some of these venomous posts based solely on conjecture and innuendo.

I just believe there's a way to express your views, positive or negative, without subjecting others to personal attacks. This is my point.

Some others obviously disagree. To each his own.

However, if they can post how much they hate everything about this contest, how everyone is a criminal, how all integrity is lost, and how the sky has now fallen, I can post how ridiculous I believe they sound (in a respectful manner of course ;) ).

Glenn

[ April 20, 2010, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

NorCalAtlFan

I Wonder.......

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:09 am

"Does anyone actually think Greg and Tom are enjoying themselves or their jobs right now"

What does that even matter? Tom and Greg did their job. They sold the product and very well judging by the signups. They had to have an idea the back end sucked as it was and after jumping a few people who expressed doubt about the back end, they are now dealing with those consequences. Some people think admirably. Others, not so much.

I think there has been a certain amount of deflection by them, but I'll grant that being destroyed via mb's, e-mails, etc day after day can be a little rough.

We all want the same thing, which is a successful high stakes contest. I've resigned myself to the fact that this might take until june?, when the back end will finally be something approaching what many of us expected from day 1. And after that, the mb's might approach the norm: Doughboys posting "stuff", lance posting baseball conspiracies:P, SC hosting very informative q & a's, etc.