DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 am

We're all leary of change. Men, especially. When change doesen't measure up to the past, frustration sets in. Idled, frustration festers, and leads to anger.

Into the third week and Fanball still has a large 'to do' list. The threads are plentiful about fixing this and fixing that. Some at the frustration stage, some with anger.

Personally, I don't care for the site. Saying that, I don't want to incite others to get banners and form a protest rally in St. Louis :D

I can work with the site and I know fixes are coming as the 'to do' list will get smaller and smaller. For me, I don't like the little things like my outfielders not being in alphabetical order or free agent drops being listed alphabetically, but by first name. These things are too small to even mention with all the other things that need fixed, but I know in the future, it will be done. For now, the site is still not 'clean'.

Although not clean, the site is workable. And for now, I can handle that.

Picking up free agents takes twice as long for me as last year. It's because Fanball is stupid and so am I.

Fanball asks us to save after making a bid on each player. After clicking 'save', we must click 'edit' if we want to add another player within the same box. I don't like 'save' function on a site, afterall, of course I want to save, that's why I did it! Fanball stupidity

The stupidity on my part is how many times, even knowing this, that I forget to click either save or edit. I'm a moron! Doughboy stupidity

We're all going through this angst of this change. We can blame Greg, or Ryan, or the programmers, or just Fanball, but it serves little purpose.

The start of baseball season was a black eye for Fanball. But black eyes, themselves, turn from pain to looking cool, to disappearing. We've had the pain. I'm hoping that Fanball will look cool in the future and that the 'to do' list disappears.

Right now, I'll settle for stupid, but workable. My wife would probably say the same about me.

[ April 20, 2010, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

MichiganFantasyTeam

Post by MichiganFantasyTeam » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:17 am

black eyes look cool?
Over The Top

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:29 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Fanball asks us to save after making a bid on each player. After clicking 'save', we must click 'edit' if we want to add another player within the same box. I don't like 'save' function on a site, afterall, of course I want to save, that's why I did it! Fanball stupidity

The stupidity on my part is how many times, even knowing this, that I forget to click either save or edit. I'm a moron! Doughboy stupidity

We're all going through this angst of this change. We can blame Greg, or Ryan, or the programmers, or just Fanball, but it serves little purpose.

I lost a key pickup in one league this week. I suspect it was a glitch with the save feature, even though I had clicked save several times.

I can't be 100% sure what happened since the system isn't setup to let us know if our bids actualy registered.

That is more than a black eye Dough, that is a game-changer if this lost transaction costs me a win at season's end. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't matter, or it will turn out in my favor, but that's beside the point.

Instituting auto-save was at the top of many of our lists since the beginning, but the fantasy-baseball wisdom within the IT group decided that wasn't important. Well, it was. And it is. And I've reached the p***** off stage ... and that WILL serve a purpose - it will remind me not to invest in too many fanball leagues for football and beyond.

[ April 19, 2010, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

no-you-won't

Post by no-you-won't » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:42 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

I lost a key pickup in one league this week. I suspect it was a glitch with the save feature, even though I had clicked save several times.

I can't be 100% sure what happened since the system isn't setup to let us know if our bids actualy registered.

That is more than a black eye Dough, that is a game-changer if this lost transaction costs me a win at season's end. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't matter, or it will turn out in my favor, but that's beside the point.

Instituting auto-save was at the top of many of our lists since the beginning, but the fantasy-baseball wisdom within the IT group decided that wasn't important. Well, it was. And it is. And I've reached the p***** off stage ... and that WILL serve a purpose - it will remind me not to invest in too many fanball leagues for football and beyond.
[/QUOTE]Don't even get me started...the simple (yet important because its the rules) fact that a player was not added into the pool that should have been there for yesturday is enough for me to consider a refund here.

[ April 19, 2010, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: no-you-won't ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:44 am

Thanks Dan. You beat me to the punch today with this post. I'm going to write a story about the high-stakes business and the back-end software myself today. Maybe we can go back and forth with the black eyes until we're all blue in the face. Look for it soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

I lost a key pickup in one league this week. I suspect it was a glitch with the save feature, even though I had clicked save several times. Doesn't the Save List button convert into the Edit List button? If you pressed "Save" several times, that may explain what happened here.

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:53 am

I can't be 100% sure what happened since the system isn't setup to let us know if our bids actualy registered. I like that feature and it's something that should be added here to make sure everything has been accounted for. After the faab runs, show me all my bids and whether on not they went through and why.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 am

Almost forgot:

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 am

Originally posted by no-you-won't:

Don't even get me started...the simple (yet important because its the rules) fact that a player was not added into the pool that should have been there for yesturday is enough for me to even consider asking for a refund. I can't see that player being a difference maker this season. There is also no guarentee you would have won him. He'll be back in the minors before you get a chance to blow your wad.

no-you-won't

Post by no-you-won't » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by no-you-won't:

Don't even get me started...the simple (yet important because its the rules) fact that a player was not added into the pool that should have been there for yesturday is enough for me to even consider asking for a refund. I can't see that player being a difference maker this season. There is also no guarentee you would have won him. He'll be back in the minors before you get a chance to blow your wad. [/QUOTE]Does the NFBC or Fanball pay you to defend them Shawn? Or is that WCOFF/WCOFB that does?

Its called a rule, and many were not/are not being followed. Or, was I in a coma and it only happened there?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:13 am

quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

Don't even get me started...the simple (yet important because its the rules) fact that a player was not added into the pool that should have been there for yesturday is enough for me to even consider asking for a refund. I can't see that player being a difference maker this season. There is also no guarentee you would have won him. He'll be back in the minors before you get a chance to blow your wad. [/QUOTE]Does the NFBC or Fanball pay you to defend them Shawn? Or is that WCOFF/WCOFB that does?

Its called a rule, and many were not/are not being followed. Or, was I in a coma and it only happened there?
[/QUOTE]I would call it years of experience. I know it was a rule, but the impact of the player isn't as great as the mistake.

Just so I know...who are you?

no-you-won't

Post by no-you-won't » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:22 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

[/QUOTE]I would call it years of experience. I know it was a rule, but the impact of the player isn't as great as the mistake.

[/QUOTE]Just so you know?

Just so you know...I'm not a "shill" ; that's for sure!

swampass

Post by swampass » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 am

[/QUOTE]shill? what the hell is that? well here it is from wikipedia:

A shill is person who is paid to help another person or organization to sell goods or services. The shill pretends to have no association with the seller/group and gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic customer. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members (who are unaware of the set-up) to purchase said goods or services.

no-you-won't

Post by no-you-won't » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:27 am

Originally posted by swampass:

A shill is person who is paid to help another person or organization to sell goods or services. The shill pretends to have no association with the seller/group and gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic customer. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members (who are unaware of the set-up) to purchase said goods or services.
[/QUOTE]A shill is person who is paid to help another person or organization to sell goods or services. The shill pretends to have no association with the seller/group and gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic customer. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members (who are unaware of the set-up) to purchase said goods or services. Shills are often employed by confidence artists. The term plant is also used. The term is also used to describe a person who is paid to help a political party or other advocacy organization to gain adherents; as with the situation of selling goods or services, the shill gives the impression of being unrelated to the group in question, and gives the impression that he or she finds merit in the ideological claims of the political party.

Shilling is illegal in many circumstances and in many jurisdictions[1] because of the frequently fraudulent and damaging character of their actions. However, if a shill does not place uninformed parties at a risk of loss, but merely generates "buzz", the shill's actions may be legal. For example, a person planted in an audience to laugh and applaud when desired (see claque), or to participate in on-stage activities as a "random member of the audience", is a type of legal shill.

"Shill" can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws. In this sense, they would be an implicit "shill" for the industry at large, possibly because their income is tied to its prosperity. The origin of the term shill is uncertain; it may be an abbreviation of the Yiddish shillaber. The word originally denoted a carnival worker who pretended to be a member of the audience in an attempt to elicit interest in an attraction. Some sources trace the usage only back to 1914.

JohnZ

Post by JohnZ » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:32 am

quote:Originally posted by swampass:

[/QUOTE]A shill is person who is paid to help another person or organization to sell goods or services. The shill pretends to have no association with the seller/group and gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic customer. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members (who are unaware of the set-up) to purchase said goods or services. Shills are often employed by confidence artists. The term plant is also used. The term is also used to describe a person who is paid to help a political party or other advocacy organization to gain adherents; as with the situation of selling goods or services, the shill gives the impression of being unrelated to the group in question, and gives the impression that he or she finds merit in the ideological claims of the political party.

Shilling is illegal in many circumstances and in many jurisdictions[1] because of the frequently fraudulent and damaging character of their actions. However, if a shill does not place uninformed parties at a risk of loss, but merely generates "buzz", the shill's actions may be legal. For example, a person planted in an audience to laugh and applaud when desired (see claque), or to participate in on-stage activities as a "random member of the audience", is a type of legal shill.

"Shill" can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws. In this sense, they would be an implicit "shill" for the industry at large, possibly because their income is tied to its prosperity. The origin of the term shill is uncertain; it may be an abbreviation of the Yiddish shillaber. The word originally denoted a carnival worker who pretended to be a member of the audience in an attempt to elicit interest in an attraction. Some sources trace the usage only back to 1914.
[/QUOTE]Sorry, but I don't have a mediocre offering.

Shawn is a part of that one also.

As an FYI, Shawn helps ALL companies where it is in the best interest of HIM. As he should, because he makes major coin on all of them. You would too if you were that good.

And he's helped this event in many, many ways well before the recent IT problems. So for you to bring this up now is just plain WEAK.

[ April 19, 2010, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: JohnZ ]

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 am

[/QUOTE]Just for the record, I'm for the game. I feel as though we are very lucky to have these contest to distract to us from our real lives. From what I can see, there isn't a long list of alternatives out there. Yes, the game has taken a step backwards, but I'd rather take one step backwards than have no game at all.

Fanball made a huge investment in the NFBC and we made a huge investment in Fanball. With the support of this baseball community, they will have the best product on the market. I'm willing to wait/deal with the baby steps because they are building the game for us.

I also understand for any new player it is tough to understand all the problems. For someone coming from CBS Sportline, ESPN, or Yahoo, the free agent pickup system here as is is miles ahead of those games in terms of speed and maneuverability.

As far as I know, I've never responded to any post you have ever made. I don't understand the lashing out at me here.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:53 am

Great, now we have fellow owners ripping Shawn Childs. What a joke these boards have become. I'm glad Dan started this thread. Wow.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

SluggoJD

Post by SluggoJD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:54 am

Wow, Shawn under attack...now I've seen it all.

I don't think there is a more unselfish, helpful person in the NFBC. I don't understand what provoked this latest junk.

Also, Ike Davis did not appear on my FA list for hitters - I know I am not crazy, and I've done this a long time...but another team in my league got him. Since Bob is cool, and my yearly smoking buddy during the draft, I'm ok that he got Davis...but it puzzles the hell out of me that I looked up and down the list, and there was no Ike Davis there.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:54 am

I feel like Lenny in 2004. The inmates have taken over the asylum.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:57 am

I am sorry I did now.

This was supposed to be light-hearted.

The level of backbiting and sniping on the Boards has reached new levels.

It is too bad.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:01 am

The subject has been changed.

Wow.
On my tombstone-

Raskol

Post by Raskol » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:02 am

quote:Originally posted by swampass:

[/QUOTE]These guys want you to give them a call....

Save your vitriolic outbursts for somebody who deserves it. I've never met Shawn but have played in many leagues with him. Sure, he beat me in almost all of them but he's never failed to respond to any question I've asked of him. Just because somebody pi$$ed in your cornflakes this morning doesn't mean that you should lash out at others.
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson

Raskol

Post by Raskol » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:04 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

The subject has been changed.

Wow. lol--nice one!
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:19 am

Originally posted by SluggoJD:

Wow, Shawn under attack...now I've seen it all.

I don't think there is a more unselfish, helpful person in the NFBC. I don't understand what provoked this latest junk.

Also, Ike Davis did not appear on my FA list for hitters - I know I am not crazy, and I've done this a long time...but another team in my league got him. Since Bob is cool, and my yearly smoking buddy during the draft, I'm ok that he got Davis...but it puzzles the hell out of me that I looked up and down the list, and there was no Ike Davis there. He was there John, at the very bottom-out of alphabetical sequence-in the 'Hitters' column. I can only assume that he was drafted and then dropped by someone in our league. Why he was out of alphabetical order? Your guess is as good as mine.
bob

no-you-won't

Post by no-you-won't » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 am

This went as expected...could of bet on that in Vegas.

"As the drones fall in line with the other drones..."

If you don't think shills exist in fantasy sports or other industry, then you need to get your head examined. There is tons of money there making off of you since only one person really benefits when winning a league. Add up the chips pal!

I don't ever recall calling him a "shill". I asked him if he was. There is a difference. His behavior exhibits that of a shill in my opinion. Perhaps, next time, you should read sentences more closely as to what I exactly stated.

[ April 19, 2010, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: no-you-won't ]