2007 NFBC Champion Profile - Scott Fleming

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:57 am

1. How did it feel to win the Ultimate Draft title?

This was my third year participating in the Ultimate Draft. I had finished one spot out of the money in both years prior, which was quite frustrating. So obviously it was great to finally break through that barrier and win this year. The competition level is great, there were three other

teams neck and neck with me for months. We exchanged the lead several times and I wasn't able to pull away from them until the very end.

Had the season extended another week I may not have won.

2. What were the keys to your championship season?

A lot of my friends have been asking me this question recently because they are interested in joining the NFBC next year for the first time and are looking for some "tips." So, my advice to them or anyone else that has yet to play this great game is that I believe there are three keys to being competitive in these games. First, you have to know the player pool cold. Next, and most importantly, you need to be prepared for the draft. I have a definitive blueprint of the players that I want in each round along with alternatives if they get taken. Lastly, is the in-season management of your roster and stat accumulations in each category. A little luck is always needed to win and injuries to key players will be devastating to your chances, but these keys should give you a chance at the money.

3. What draft day strategy worked best?

In a word, balance. In past years I have always concentrated on drafting offense early and often, and would attempt to cherry pick pitchers later on. This approach consistently placed me in a position where my pitching stats just couldn't attain the points I needed to win. So this year I adjusted my focus a bit and went into the draft targeting certain pitchers earlier than I normally would have and it proved successful.

4. Were there any draft day strategies that didn't pan out?

There were two. First would be selecting Ben Sheets over Jake Peavy. That one mistake almost cost me the win. Second would be my lack of home runs. I used my early draft picks to grab high batting average hitters because the hitters that I were targeting later in the draft were high upside guys, but most likely batting average killers. This plan worked in one regard as I led my league in batting average, but I languished at the bottom of the homerun category all season as I just didn't get enough power coming out of the draft.

5. How did FAAB work for you?

The only difference maker I obtained via free agency was Wandy Rodriguez, but there were some real gems this year like Fausto Carmona and Carlos Pena.

6. How long have you been playing fantasy baseball?

My father is a big baseball fan and he introduced my brothers and I to a board game called APBA when we were teenagers and we've all been playing in one capacity or another ever since. I've always had an affinity for baseball and statistics, so the game is a perfect match. It's funny, I've had my share of winning and losing seasons just like everyone else, but to this day my dad has yet to beat me once! (I had to throw that in there)

7. I am married and live in New Jersey a few miles outside of NYC.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

SluggoJD

Post by SluggoJD » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:57 am

Congratulations Scott, on your kick-ass performance.