DL Players For Week 25

Greg Ambrosius

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:29 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

Posted 09/19/2007 10:35 PM ET

"Bochy confirmed that left-hander Jonathan Sanchez, who strained his left oblique muscle Tuesday, won't pitch again this season."

****://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070919&content_id=2218887&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnered=rss_mlb

Please add Sanchez to the DL List for this week. Thank you! At this point, I am not adding Sanchez to the DL list. Other injuries this week to guys like Albert Pujols, Carl Crawford and Ken Griffey will not merit DL status as well and next week there is no need for a DL list with less than 15 games to play in the season. Good luck everyone the rest of the way.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:34 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

At this point, I am not adding Sanchez to the DL list. uhhmmm... I think we have a problem then.

Sanchez is OBVIOUSLY hurt.

It was posted on MLB.com that the Giants Manager "confirmed" that Sanchez "won't pitch again this season"

What am I missing? This is a slam dunk.

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:45 am

Just an FYI - when Sanchez gets DL'd, please put Piniero in my active lineup for this weekend. I have a personal matter to attend to for the next few days, and my Internet time may be severly limited. Thanks.

Greg Ambrosius

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:17 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

At this point, I am not adding Sanchez to the DL list. uhhmmm... I think we have a problem then.

It was posted on MLB.com that the Giants Manager "confirmed" that Sanchez "won't pitch again this season"

[/QUOTE]Here is our rule from the NFBC Rules link:

"The NFBC will also add players who are disabled to a DL list during the month of September when MLB teams don't normally use an official DL list."

We have added those players who we felt would be added to a normal 15-day DL list if teams used them in September. We now have less than 15 days left of the regular season and teams will play with the healthy players they have. We will not be adding players to the list next weekend as "season-ending" injuries will mean 3 games. It's called a 15-day DL list for a reason.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:30 am

i gotta admit that this reeks of BS greg. i'll try to be civil after my inapproprite comments on the jack cust situtation, which i still disagree with your ruling.

YOUR rule says "The NFBC will also add players who are disabled to a DL list during the month of September when MLB teams don't normally use an official DL list."

Sanchez is diabled and the manager said he is out for the season. If there was a DL list in MLB, the Giants would certainly put him on it whether there are 20 games left, 10 games left or 5 games left.

Again, Sanchez is disabled in the month of September. THIS QUALIFIES UNDER THE SEPT DL RULES AS STATED ON THE WEBSITE. That is going by the stated rules, the ones I signed up for.

Quahogs

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Quahogs » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:55 am

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

[/QUOTE]Here is our rule from the NFBC Rules link:

"The NFBC will also add players who are disabled to a DL list during the month of September when MLB teams don't normally use an official DL list."

We have added those players who we felt would be added to a normal 15-day DL list if teams used them in September. We now have less than 15 days left of the regular season and teams will play with the healthy players they have. We will not be adding players to the list next weekend as "season-ending" injuries will mean 3 games. It's called a 15-day DL list for a reason.
[/QUOTE]If the "less than 15 days of the regular season" is your justification for NOT adding players to the SEP DL list then why did you email a preliminary list yesterday ?? :confused: Those guys had under 15 days left on the season too.

Q

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:01 am

if greg wants to use the "less than 15 days of the regular season" justification, put it in the Rules for NEXT year. it's not listed under this year's rule.

this is really puzzling and disppointing greg with so much money on the line that a rule is being made up. if you wanted the rules to say the "less than 15 days of the regular season" justification you could have EASILY put that in the rules at the begining of the season. there is NOTHING subjective about it. Nothing needs to be interpreted either.

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:43 am

FYI - I'm not trying to be a dick or a ballbuster, i'm just trying to play by the rules here.

From my readings of the Rules, Sanchez certainly qualifies as a DL person that should be allowed to be switched out on friday.

I've read all of the previous Sept DL Rules posts on this MB by Greg from last year, and I NEVER saw a mention of the Sept DL Rule really being a Sept 1 - Sept 15th Rule.

As I've told you Greg, I think the Sept DL Rule needs to go away next year. It was good intentioned, but it's too time consuming to administer.

As for this year, I feel the rules need to be followed even if it is time consuming to do. This means DL appropriate people this week AND Next week. That is how the Rules are written.

Terry H

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Terry H » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:57 am

One of the criteria for deciding to put a player on the DL for purposes of our league should be if the player would have been placed on the DL had the injury occurred earlier in the season. We've all seen players leave a game with a muscle strain only to return to play the next day. We've also seen them miss the rest of the season. Just because a player may not play the next week and a half, doesn't mean than he would have been a candidate for the DL had the injury occurred earlier in the season. In some cases a team may decide to play it safe and not play the player. We apparently are seeing this with a healthy player in James Shields. At this point in time I don't think there is enough information on the Sanchez situation to determine how long this injury would normally keep him out.

Terry H

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Terry H » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:03 am

Greg I hope you consider DL additions for next week, as it is certainly possible for a player to be injured with an injury that is an easy call.

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:16 am

Originally posted by Terry Haney:

At this point in time I don't think there is enough information on the Sanchez situation to determine how long this injury would normally keep him out. Are u for real haney? Are u that blinded by greed?

Sanchez is hurt is sept and out for the year. That has been the criteria

[ September 20, 2007, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Terry H

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Terry H » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:18 am

Greed is good! No?

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:24 am

Originally posted by Terry Haney:

Greed is good! No? So u are blinded by greed to look past the rules. Puts u in a new light now

King of Queens

DL Players For Week 25

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:45 am

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

just an fyi - i don't think shields is eligible for the DL. i'm simply wondering how it would be handled if this happened at the end of august. Hopefully, teams don't shut down pitchers in the middle of the season because they are worried about the number of innings they've pitched. That's what is happening here. [/QUOTE]Anyone remember how the Tigers handled Verlander when he was "shut down" for a period in August last year?

King of Queens

DL Players For Week 25

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:54 am

I know Greg will never do this, but my vote is to do away with the entire Friday DL rule. Not just in September, either. Just too many issues all year long.

King of Queens

DL Players For Week 25

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:58 am

We have added those players who we felt would be added to a normal 15-day DL list if teams used them in September. We now have less than 15 days left of the regular season and teams will play with the healthy players they have. We will not be adding players to the list next weekend as "season-ending" injuries will mean 3 games. It's called a 15-day DL list for a reason. Erik Bedard was placed on the 60-day DL in September.

Dickie V

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Dickie V » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:06 am

I do not like the DL rule either KOQ. This September DL rule has become such a debacle in my opinion. Two weeks in a row now that this a become such a controversial issue. I just feel that it would be best to at least eliminate the September DL moves. Like Buffalo Springfield sang -- "For What its Worth".

King of Queens

DL Players For Week 25

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:27 am

Originally posted by Dickie V:

I do not like the DL rule either KOQ. This September DL rule has become such a debacle in my opinion. Two weeks in a row now that this a become such a controversial issue. I just feel that it would be best to at least eliminate the September DL moves. Like Buffalo Springfield sang -- "For What its Worth". And as Dusty Springfield sang "Son of a Preacher Man"

Or as Rick Springfield sang -- "Jessie's Girl"

King of Queens

DL Players For Week 25

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:29 am

Originally posted by Dickie V:

I just feel that it would be best to at least eliminate the September DL moves. To use another pop culture reference, like the kid in that freaky episode of the Twilight Zone, let's send this one to the corn fields.

Greg Ambrosius

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:34 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

I know Greg will never do this, but my vote is to do away with the entire Friday DL rule. Not just in September, either. Just too many issues all year long. What issues did we have with the DL rule during the season? Each week, over 200 moves are made each Friday with an average of three players per league being moved out of their starting lineups. I have no problem changing rules, but I honestly didn't see a problem with the Friday DL rule this year.

As for the September DL rule, I'd have no problem eliminating it next year, but it was added to help owners. The controversy last week involved us putting Josh Hamilton on the DL when someone felt he shouldn't be DL'd. Well, he seems disabled and out for the year. Now we're dealing with Sanchez having an oblique injury, another tough call. We've made our decision.

In 2008, we'll decide whether to keep these rules in place or not.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

DL Players For Week 25

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:44 am

love the Friday DL rule, the September one is a tossup, could take it or leave it

King of Queens

DL Players For Week 25

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:02 am

What issues did we have with the DL rule during the season? Each week, over 200 moves are made each Friday with an average of three players per league being moved out of their starting lineups. I have no problem changing rules, but I honestly didn't see a problem with the Friday DL rule this year.Two big problems that I see with the Friday DL rule:

(1) Roster manipulation -- owners are intentionally leaving DL pitchers in their lineups for Monday to Thursday to "see what develops." Why is this allowed to happen? If a player starts the week on the DL, his spot should be frozen for the week. Period.

(2) Timing -- We're still at the whim and mercy of STATS as far as the timing of official DL moves. While it is a disadvantage that affects everyone equally, the timing issue has created a degree of confusion and uncertainty.

King of Queens

DL Players For Week 25

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:10 am

As for the September DL rule, I'd have no problem eliminating it next year, but it was added to help owners. The controversy last week involved us putting Josh Hamilton on the DL when someone felt he shouldn't be DL'd. Well, he seems disabled and out for the year. Now we're dealing with Sanchez having an oblique injury, another tough call. We've made our decision.Without intimate knowledge of the exact medical condition of these players, it will be almost impossible to always make the right call. As it stands, you are largely relying on sound bites and public relations mumbo jumbo.

As I'm sure you realize, the decisions you are making could ultimately determine the $100,000 winner. If it were me, I would defer to MLB on this one and stand clear of any potentially controversial decisions.

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:11 am

Now we're dealing with Sanchez having an oblique injury, another tough call. We've made our decision.

Can you point me to the clause in the RULES where he's not elgible to be DL'd?

If he wasn't hurt, he'd be starting again this year.

[ September 20, 2007, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

DL Players For Week 25

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:21 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

As I'm sure you realize, the decisions you are making could ultimately determine the $100,000 winner. If it were me, I would defer to MLB on this one and stand clear of any potentially controversial decisions. Glenn: why introduce logic and common sense into this situation. While I don't stand much of a chance of winning the 100K, this decision could cost me some significant dough. At this point, I'll just wait and see how my replacement player does and whether that costs me any dough. At that point, I'll act accordingly.