How much difference can one make in September?..

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:19 pm

I always seem to think that your fantasy baseball league is won in the first five months. The last month is a culmination of all the hard work that you put in to manipulate your squad within the structure of all the stats that your competitor's have put together and downright attention to detail.

It seems to me, that September should be prosperous if you've paid attention at all. I think there is definitely luck in fantasy baseball, but very little. Yes, you can make a couple moves here and there in September, but the past 5 months have been dedicated to figuring out how to best balance out your team against the fellow teams you face and ultimately beating them in the end.

I hope everything I did in the past 5 months has created a team that is perfect for the homestretch. I hope yours has too.

I wish good luck to all in the final month.

[ September 02, 2007, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Crazy Like a Fox ]
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryne Sandberg (my favorite player of all-time)

viper

Post by viper » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:30 am

Can you recover from a 25 HR deficit? Absolutely not. But if you are in a no up/down situation in a category, you can do something in another category by specific add/drop moves.

A lot depends on how your league handles places other than first. If your league is first and degrees of failure, then you may do wild things if that perfect storm can bring you a title. If it is like the NFBC where the top three in each league cash, then you need to play this last month based not necessarily on winning but on cashing - unless you are independently wealthy and then it is first or not-first.

The first five months position you for the "end game". The "end game" is a part of fantasy baseball that is not often properly played. Winners know how to play this game. They know when to be aggressive and when to go into the old "four-corners".

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:13 am

Originally posted by viper:

Can you recover from a 25 HR deficit? Absolutely not. But if you are in a no up/down situation in a category, you can do something in another category by specific add/drop moves.

A lot depends on how your league handles places other than first. If your league is first and degrees of failure, then you may do wild things if that perfect storm can bring you a title. If it is like the NFBC where the top three in each league cash, then you need to play this last month based not necessarily on winning but on cashing - unless you are independently wealthy and then it is first or not-first.

The first five months position you for the "end game". The "end game" is a part of fantasy baseball that is not often properly played. Winners know how to play this game. They know when to be aggressive and when to go into the old "four-corners". Great point. Depending on the format of the league whether it's a winner-take-all or top 3 cash, that definitely changes how you should manage your team.

It's very easy to see how you can improve your point total in different categories, I think it's much harder to gauge how much you should protect certain categories. I think that's because over a long season you know what to expect from your own team for the most part, it's more difficult to evaluate your competition based on a quick look.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:33 am

CLAF, I have to totally disagree. Fantasy baseball at this level is a game of inches to win a league many times. September will make or break your team. No team can afford to fade, or take off september

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:41 am

Originally posted by Spyhunter:

CLAF, I have to totally disagree. Fantasy baseball at this level is a game of inches to win a league many times. September will make or break your team. No team can afford to fade, or take off september I certainly am not saying you should ever "take off" September. Out of every month in the fantasy baseball season, September is obviously most important. I am merely saying that September is the culmination of all the hard work you put into the first 5 months and it's ultimately in that period that decides your team's fate. There are a few tweaks you can do here and there and you should never get too comfortable no matter what kind of lead you have.

viper

Post by viper » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 pm

I bowl in highly competitive leagues. A league lasts 35 weeks. My team's goal is to have a shot to win when it comes down to the final five weeks. This is what the first 30 weeks are for. I see an analogy in fantasy sports.

You play hard so that when it come down to the end, you have a chance to win.