Review Of Top 20 Sleeper Picks

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:55 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by Joe Sambito:

Good point Q. He had an ADP of 117.68, that puts him in the 8th round. I took Papelbon in the 8th, is that a sleeper?

I'd have to agree with the Pence camp. thanks Joe. Hey you're a mass fenway guy right ? I made it to a game there tuesday night. Beautiful park to watch a game. Great surrounding area too. I came away very impressed.

Q
[/QUOTE]2nd row last night for Braves and Twins- great to see Santana live, but lets just say the Metrodome is no Fenway.

[ June 15, 2007, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Chest Rockwell ]

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:23 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by Joe Sambito:

Good point Q. He had an ADP of 117.68, that puts him in the 8th round. I took Papelbon in the 8th, is that a sleeper?

I'd have to agree with the Pence camp. thanks Joe. Hey you're a mass fenway guy right ? I made it to a game there tuesday night. Beautiful park to watch a game. Great surrounding area too. I came away very impressed.

Q
[/QUOTE]2nd row last night for Braves and Twins- great to see Santana live, but lets just say the Metrodome is no Fenway.
[/QUOTE]Nice ! Beat me by a row. At least you could see for yourself what makes Santana so hard to hit. I couldnt believe how many times a major league hitter swung and missed at Wakefields 76mph fastball. :eek:

Q

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:28 am

Chest,

I have been to the Metrodome, it was awhile ago, I want to say 1988, so I was only 13. The most disappointing thing were the dogs. Having been spoiled by Fenway Franks over the years, the Metrodome was my first "other" ballpark, and the hot dogs didn't even compare.

Great pitcher's duel last night.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:14 am

They should punch the guy in the face who sold the idea of a "Glad Garbage Bag" outfield wall.

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Vander

Post by Vander » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:39 am

I hope Eddie's right about all this. I have Pence Teahan and Bonser. Now why am I not doing better? Must be all those non sleepers I drafted to be next years sleepers.

chimpat

Post by chimpat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:58 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

[QUOTE]not quite sure how Teahen can be considered a "sleeper". The guy had 840 major league ab's coming into '07. I know the term sleeper has a loose definition. It used to refer to a player very few saw coming who'd put together competitive #'s as compared to others at his position. Teahen came in highly touted and owned a starting job based on his '06's and was widely pursued. Pence ? He had 0 MLB ab's coming into the season and was farmed out during ST. That person had to foresee Burke and or Lane losing his job and have Pence be recalled early enough in the season AND produce well to be a factor. Sorry, it should be PENCE hands down.

Q [/QB]I agree, Teahan is not someone I even thought of as a sleeper coming into the draft. He went in the 5th round of my draft which I thought was a bit early but I didn't expect to see him on the board much later. If people got him in the 10th or 11th round, I'd say that's a steal.

I think I'd have to go with Pence.

Vander

Post by Vander » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:07 am

I didn't think of Teahan as a sleeper either. Like him though. Expect a big second half. I was wondering if Teahan was a sleeper taken in the high single digit rounds where was R. Hill on the sleeper list? He went 10 -13ish. Most including myself wanted him and thought he would produce. Now he has. Unfortunatly I don't have him in the main. Thought he was more of a sleeper pick than Teahan though.

Sheep

Post by Sheep » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:00 am

Who are the sleepers left?

Pence is no longer a sleeper. I still have Garza on my bench, so he is my REM sleeper. Dropped Cantu who I took in the 16th (Too early for "deep sleeper", but he could be a sleeper for the finally 2/3 as his value is now 30% owned. I am also voting for Marmol as he is in my lineup. Some players I feel might wake up in the second half - Butler & Nomar (1 Homerun - is sleeping).
Main C3-pick#12 Crawford/Upton/Mags/Guillen/Chipper/Zimmerman/Del Young

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:14 pm

I guess we all have different views on sleepers.

Teahen adp was the 9th round , next year he will be a 4th round pick, just like Rios and Badelli.

Pence adp was 391 , if people really thought he had value he would have not gone this far, if anything he was a deep sleeper that panned out.

I dont think he was drafted in about half the leagues.If Teahen is considered to be in the Cain Burnett class, then i would go Boonser.

A 17TH ROUND draft pick who will win plenty of games and a lot of strike out's, whip a little high but he has time to fix it.Still a long way to go before we crown a winner, plenty of these guys could go the other way. Just my opinion.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Brilee's Brigade

Post by Brilee's Brigade » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:24 am

I am suprised to see that not one person has mentioned Kelly Johnson as a sleeper. I selected him in the 25th round and he has been a constant source of stats.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:56 am

Originally posted by eddiejag:

I drafted Teahen in the main event in round 9 and paid 22 for him in the auction.I really gave out my sleeper pick, i wonder how many gave it there best.There was way more bad pick's then good one's. Boonser is another one in the top 5, lets play out the year and see what happens.Another nice night for Teahen, YES. Eddie,

I have to disagree with you on this one. I was in an satellite auction draft where he went for 22. I thought lackey or Haren were much better picks. For my money, Teahen has barely performed at the level necessary to pay back his owners.

Here is Teahen:

PACE 157 574 79 167 26 12 12 86 71 138 17 7 17 .290 .374 .440 .813

2007 66 241 33 70 11 5 5 36 30 58 7 3 7 .290 .374 .440 .813

Here is a real Sleeper (Bautista, who I had to pick up and play due to Crede being such a disaster):

PACE 155 580 92 162 48 2 12 51 70 94 7 2 15 .279 .359 .433 .793

2007 64 240 38 67 20 1 5 21 29 39 3 1 6 .279 .359 .433 .793

Sure Teahen is better (but not on Runs and even on HR!), but Bautista went UNDRAFTED and could be picked up for $1 FAAB for most weeks....

Spy

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:13 pm

Well since were getting off the track of the orginal 20 that were picked.I would go with JJ Hardy , he went anywhere from round 22 to 27 what frigging value.I was lucky enough to draft him in three leagues out of nine, the two AL auction league's dont count since you cant dfaft him.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:14 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

This year I asked our NFBC veterans to help me with a story for Fantasy Sports Magazine, giving me their sleeper picks for 2007. We had 17 different NFBC owners give us one pick each with a nice analysis of why they picked that player and then Tom and I filled out the rest. It was a nice article and one I'll continue with the next football issue and of course next baseball season.

As I look at that issue today, I'm glad to report that our contributors did not hold back with their sleeper picks. Several were very astute. Someone here actually deserves a prize for their astuteness. Pick a winner and I'll scramble around my desk to find a prize after the voting is done (a Pete Rose autographed baseball surely needs to resurface, right?).

Anyway, here were the nominations:

1. Anthony Reyes by Richard Gordon

2. Adam Lind by Stephen Jupinka

3. Noah Lowry by Kent Stermon

4. A.J. Burnett by Eric Peden

5. Boof Bonser by Karl Mische

6. Wes Helms by Dan Kenyon

7. Kevin Kouzmanoff by Dave Van Der Stuyf

8. Hunter Pence by Wayne Edwards

9. Ryan Church by Brian Feldman

10. Dave Ross by Perry Van Hook

11. Miguel Montero by Jim Ferrari

12. Mark Teahen by Eddie Gillis

13. Matt Cain by Jesse Herron

14. Jorge Cantu by Mark Srebro

15. Matt Garza by Gary Cutler

16. Freddy Garcia by Kevin Kirves

17. Mark Buerhle by Greg Ambrosius

18. Corey Hart by Brian Oakchunas

19. Nook Logan by Tom Kessenich

20. Brandon McCarthy by Greg Ambrosius

That's a very interesting list with some hits and misses, but that happens with every Sleeper list. Thanks everyone for your honest answers and analysis as this made for a solid article and get ready for next year.

Okay, who gets the prize for best Sleeper pick? I'll make my vote at the end of the week. Bump! Is the polling closed and did I win a Honus Wagner T209? :D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:25 pm

a
EDWARD J GILLIS

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:28 pm

How about Corey Hart, im pretty sure his ADP was around the 15th round.He's going to be an easy 20 , 20 man.Boof Bonser has the K's , but need's to bring the ERA and WHIP down.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:42 am

Of the 20 candidates for top sleeper, I have 9 of them spread out among my 4 teams, including high performers such as Pence and Hart. While we can talk endlessly about the definition of what constitutes a 'sleeper' and come up with several valid interpretations, 'to date' I'd have to give my vote to Mark Buehrle. A known quantity coming off a terrible year, suggestive of a career in decline, and on most owners DO NOT DRAFT UNLESS DESPERATE LISTS. In the Main Event we picked him up in approximately the 23rd round as the last of our starting pitchers. We had limited expectations but at that point in the draft (as well as in most drafts) worthy of a flyer. At the moment he's carrying a 2.91 ERA, 1.11 Whips and a 7-5 record. Of course, by the end of the season I may regret having pushed the 'Add Reply' button, but for now he's got my vote, and Gregg you win the 'Moxie'. It may not be an Oscar or an Emmy, but crystal gazing like that deserves some kind of statuette! Mind you, i't needn't be anything elaborate. Something with a chalk base, 6 inches of bat handle, a flourish of pine tar and ouila, you have a statue! Perhaps you can simply fill an urn with the ashes of bad predictions? We can work out the details later....................

Best of luck to all the nominee's the rest of the way!
bob

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:01 am

Spartacus , you just jinxed Buerle , that was his worst start of the year,and yes i have him in my AL auction league.This thing is still up for grab's, we wont know till the end.

I like Corey Hart at the momemt.

Will Teahen ever hit a homerun again.
EDWARD J GILLIS

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:42 pm

With the injury to Pence I am most likely the current leader with Hart, but I don't see how I would ever win anything...subjective.

[ July 24, 2007, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: bjoak ]
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Eddie, I confess that I feel as if I've just kicked over the lantern in Mrs. O'leary's barn. However, if Buehrle reverts to the pitcher whose curveball stops breaking once it enters the middle of the plate, well we can always take the money and run. Still, based on his ADP which I suspect averaged around the 20th round he's given us a good ride and is worthy of best sleeper consideration to date, despite last nights tomato tossing Buehrlesque performance.
bob

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:00 am

Pence heating up again...not bad for a rookie to have a .327 BA, 51 R, 55 RBI, 14 HR and 9 SB on a team as lost as the Astros.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:18 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

I don't even deserve a Pete Rose Jr. baseball for that Nook Logan pick. I may have spoke too soon. Maybe I do deserve a Rose baseball now. :D
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:41 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

I don't even deserve a Pete Rose Jr. baseball for that Nook Logan pick. I may have spoke too soon. Maybe I do deserve a Rose baseball now. :D [/QUOTE]I think you moved all the way up to an autographed 8x10 of Dale Berra!
Charles Krauthammer

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:50 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

I don't even deserve a Pete Rose Jr. baseball for that Nook Logan pick. I may have spoke too soon. Maybe I do deserve a Rose baseball now. :D [/QUOTE]I think you moved all the way up to an autographed 8x10 of Dale Berra!
[/QUOTE]That's probably the best I deserve. :D
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:13 am

Pence looks like the clear-cut winner since no one had the foresight to select Braun as their top sleeper.

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:00 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Pence looks like the clear-cut winner since no one had the foresight to select Braun as their top sleeper. I think Hart is automatically disqualified since I am the one who selected him. That being the case, Pence is the winner.
Chance favors the prepared mind.