1st Auction results

ChipChopChip

1st Auction results

Post by ChipChopChip » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Pitching went at a premium in my opinion. Let me know what you think of my team.

C W. Castillo $11
C A. Barnes $4
1B E. Encarnacion $20
2B S. Gennett $7
3B T. Shaw $14
SS C. Correa $35
OF B. Buxton $21
OF K. Davis $17
OF Y. Puig $9
OF M. Haniger $2
OF C. Gomez $1
CI C. Santana $9
MI Y. Moncada $9
UT M. Olson $13

P Y. Darvish $23
P C. Hamels $8
P C. Morton $9
P J. Gray $9
P S. Manaea $2
P M. Minor $1
P C. Knebel $20
P E. Diaz $15
P B. Boxberger $1

Edwards Kings

Re: 1st Auction results

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 am

My how Carlos Gomez has fallen....
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 am

You have 2 closers for sure and quite possibly 3. And the 2 sure things have a good chance to keep the job. Starting pitching might not be top notch but should be average. Darvish at 23 is very good in my opinion. Jon Gray too. (plus you can reserve him occasionally when he pitches at home). Tons of strikeouts from those 2. I'm not a fan of Cole Hamels though, and Morton is hard to figure. His career numbers suggest he is on PEDS of some kind, it makes no sense that he is much better as he gets older, but hey, what do I know. Catching is great. No big bucks spent, but 2 pretty decent hitting catchers. And Carlos Santana at $9 is a steal. Who cares about defence....he still has real good power. Encarnacion is aging well....still pounding the ball and I like Hanigar at that price. To me your hitting is pretty good and obviously Correa is terrific. Your weakness might be batting average, but your power is real solid. And that is 2 categories. I think you have a shot at the money.

Best pick at the price - Carlos Santana, and Mitch Hanigar for offence and Darvish for pitching

Worst pick Cole Hamels (I think he will hurt your era and whip)

Just my fun analysis.... good overall, shot at the money Good luck.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 am

I threw $246 @ Goldie, Donaldson, Ozuna, Dozier, SPerez, CTaylor, Smoak, Strasburg, Syndergaard, Severino and Giles. I bought a dozen inexperienced and/or infirm characters with my remaining 14 bucks. Probably a better approach in an FAAB league. With a Matz rebirth and some fancy dancing in the 27 round written portion of the test, I think fifth place is within hailing distance.

Thank you again, Andy.

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:48 am

I would like to know the breakdown of money spent per pitcher compared to hitters in this draft. I didn't target Hamels but I think he still has some upside. I would have liked to have gotten another top end arm but the money was very high.

Yah Mule you switched it up a bit in this draft. We usually battle over the bargains later in the auction.

Auction is my favorite format and I didn't cash in any of my auctions last year. I am an optimist though

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:06 pm

I love auctions. I was dying when I was sitting there with a max bid of three bucks and you got Barnes for four. :lol:

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm

I thought I was going to get Donaldson for a discount and you snagged him. I thought you stole Smoak for $6. I also thought that I could get Marcell Ozuna for around $23 but I was wrong

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:31 pm

So here is our team. Have at it...

C1 Tyler Flowers $1
C2 Chris Iannetta $2
1B Ryan Healy $6
2B Jose Altuve $44
3B Joey Gallo $12
SS Jean Segura $16
MI Amed Rosario $3
CI Trey Mancini $6
OF Mike Trout $45
OF Eddie Rosario $11
OF Jay Bruce $10
OF Domingo Santana $13
OF Brett Gardner $3
UT Dexter Fowler $1

SP Aaron Nola $25
SP Robbie Ray $23
SP Jeff Samardzija $12
SP Julio Teheran $6
SP Lance Lynn $4
SP Kenta Maeda $5
SP Miles Mikolas $2
RP Andrew Miller $3
RP Fernando Rodney $7
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:38 pm

I like Segura this year as an alternative to the super high end models @ SS. It would just be fun to root for any team that has both Trout and Altuve.

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:24 pm

You did well Spinning. You paid the piper for Altuve and Trout.....but you got...well....Altuve and Trout !! Trout at 45 is still a good deal and Altuve is awesome. Brett Gardner and Trey Mancini at 3 and 6 are excellent. And instead of a bum catcher at the end, you got Iannetta. Good move. For pitching you may be in trouble for saves, but the other 4 pitching categories are going to be strong. I just don't believe Rodney will hold the job....at all. I don't even trust him to come out of spring training with the job. And Andrew Miller won't get many, even though he is twice the pitcher Cody Allen is. But Andrew Miller at $3, even with zero saves is a great deal. I believe Kenley Janson and Andrew Miller are the 2 best relievers in baseball.

You sure paid for Nola, I'm surprised he went that high, but I think he is going to be great. So in my opinion, still a good buy. (I'm guessing you were thinking $18 on him though). Samardzjia just has to put up good numbers this year and I like your 2 cheap starters in Maeda and Mikolas. Not a fan of Teheran at all and not sure about Lynn but that staff is very good in my opinion. Robbie Ray is another big one. You might be last in saves but you will be high in all other categories.

Best buys - Trout $45 and Mancini $6 & Andrew Miller at $3.

Worst Teheran and Rodney But you know your stuff...lots of very good players
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Yah Mule wrote:I like Segura this year as an alternative to the super high end models @ SS. It would just be fun to root for any team that has both Trout and Altuve.
I just do not know about Segura. His value is in steals and he has bagged 25 only once in the last four years. Now batting 2nd? I have BIG question marks by his name.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Of course I am a homey, but I see Teheran and I think he is a solid mid-rotation arm. Long-ball in the new home park got him last year due mainly to inability to finish off batters. Correctable. Sneaky good.
Charles Krauthammer

steveymer

Post by steveymer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:05 pm

So, here's what I ended up with:

C - Ramos 10
C - Gattis 8
1B - Bell 5
2B - Ramirez 33
3B - Turner 18
SS - Seager 22
CI - Alonso 2
MI - Russell 2
OF - Pollock 21
OF - Hoskins 19
OF - Margot 12
OF - A Garcia 2
OF - Brantley 3
UT - Cruz 20

SP - Godley 15
SP - S. Gray 12
SP - C. Anderson 10
SP - Richards 8
SP - Happ 3
SP - Gohara 2
CL - Rivero 14
CL - Iglesias 16
CL - Parker 3

I stubbornly refused to pay what seemed to me exta-inflated prices for aces, so decided to spread the money I'd budgeted for one around. Probably a mistake, but I actually kind of like my pitching staff. No anchor, but hopefully Rivero, Iglesias, and Parker can make a big dent in my ratios and provide plenty of Ks. Made a few mistakes on the hitting side (one being letting Smoak go so cheap; also had the software lag when I was trying to bid on Gregorious), but really like the offense nonetheless.

steveymer

Post by steveymer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:08 pm

For whatever it's worth, I quite like your team, Spinning Seams. No holes at all on offense and plenty of solid IP to go along with some upside. To end up with that kind of depth after paying up for Trout and Altuve is very impressive.

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Steveymer, you must have the best combo of closers. When so many lose their job, you got 3 at good prices, who I think will keep their jobs. Excellent on that front. Starters, for me, are average. But you have no starters who will hurt you in ERA and whip. I like the upside of Godley and Richards. Gohara has upside as well. As you mentioned, no stud starters but no scary ones either.

For hitters, Hoskins and Margot have good chances to out perform their money. Ramirez helps in all categories, and Josh Bell has good power for $5. I like that buy. I'm not crazy about Alonso or Bradley but at dirt cheap prices...what the heck. Ramos at catcher is a pretty good hitter. Gattis is simply a question of playing time. You took a different approach, balanced your team well and have some upside guys for sure.

Best buys - Josh Bell at $5 and Rys Hoskins. And Felipe Rivero at $14

Worst buy (just my opinion) Gattis at $8 and Chase Anderson at $10

Your best buys are much stronger than your worst buys are weak. Meaning you had no "bad" buys

steveymer

Post by steveymer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks for the feedback! I was surprised to get Hoskins at $19 since that was at the beginning when everyone was flush. Guess folks are worried about his late fade? You're right about Gattis. I don't think he will be anything like an everyday DH, but should hopefully at least get as many PAs as a standard catcher. Opinions on Anderson seem to vary widely and I have no idea what to expect.

Good luck with your drafts and auctions!

76erfan

2nd Auction results

Post by 76erfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:40 pm

2nd auction just finished...4 hours 35 minutes...well done everyone. Feel free to post results if you like.

Will do a FAAB one this Friday the 19th. See you then

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 am

I was off of my game tonight. I was trying to Zig when everyone else was Zagging. I don't think it worked out for me. Let me know what you think.

C POSEY $18
C MOLINA $8
1B HOSMER $17
2B MOANCADA $12
SS GREGORIUS $11
3B BELTRE $11
OF PUIG $15
OF INCIARTE $10
OF CASTELLANOS $12
OF PISCOTTY $2
OF CARLOS GONZALEZ $1
CI SMOAK $6
MI ODOR $15
UT MORALES $2

P DARVISH $24
P JON GRAY $8
P ARRIETA $15
P BERRIOS $14
P LESTER $13
P HILL $16
P HAND $14
P RODNEY $7
P MORROW $9

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 am

Well Chip Chop, you drafted an older team, which increases your chance that some of your players slide from previous years. But at least this is a 1 year pool, not like you are keeping the roster for multi years. For closers I do like Morrow and Hand, but I would never draft Rodney. I think Addison Reed will be the closer. For starting pitching Darvish should produce very good numbers. And Gray at $8 is a good buy. But Hill and Berrios were on the high dollar side, Hill because he often gets injured and Berrios because he is hard to figure out. His upside is excellent, but he is tough to predict.

For hitters Odor is a real good buy, and Smoak at only $2 will give you cheap power. Bur Piscotty and CarGo have playing time issues, and Beltre being older, I'm not sure if he may slip this year. Puig and Moncada are both wild cards. Each capable of big years but neither is anywhere near a sure thing. Hey, this is just my feelings, but I'm no expert. You have lots of players that could beat their projections, but I worry about an older team.

Best picks Odor at $15, Morrow at $9 and Gray at $8

Worst - Rodney and Hill at $16

Again, I'm just providing feedback from a guy that worries about older players. I could easily be wrong. Good luck. I hope you make me eat my words.

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm

I hate that I spent the most money on pitching and don't have the best pitching staff. I have a few players that normally go in the first 6 rounds (4). I have a huge amount of my players that go in rounds 7 through 11 (14). I have 5 players from the later rounds of the draft rounds 17 through 21. I like this strategy somewhat in a DC draft compared to a FAAB draft.

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 am

1st faab auction took place tonight....results will be posted by some I imagine.......

Good group.....reserve round took 30 minutes...went fast!

See you in the next one!

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 am

C MOLINA $10
C RAMOS $10
1B BIRD $7
2B SCHOOP $14
SS STORY $12
3B SHAW $10
OF J.D. MAR $26
OF PUIG $13
OF INCIARTE $15
OF DESHIELDS $12
OF HANIGER $5
CI SMOAK $11
MI ALBIES $11
UT SANO $11

P SEVERINO $23
P DARVISH $22
P ALEX WOOD $14
P GIO GONZALEZ $6
P MANAEA $11 (MY LAST PICK)
P FAMILIA $8
P MORROW $7
P REED $1

RS CARLOS GOMEZ
RS MELKY CABRERA
RS BOXBERGER
RS SKAGGS
RS CC SABATHIA
RS COTTON
RS LACKEY

I had very poor money management towards the end. Speed and closers went at a premium in this draft. I usually get a bunch of players I like, but I don't like a high majority of guys I bought in this auction. Let me know what you think of my team.

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:42 pm

great job by all tonight in the $125 FAAB.

if anyone wants to post their team feel free.

We move on to auction #5 of the year tomorrow....a $125 DC with 2 hour timer in slow draft

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:01 am

C- Pina $1
C- Suzuki $1
1B- Abreu $23
2B- Dejong $8
SS- Lindor $34
3B- J. Ramirez $35
OF- J Upton $24
OF- Polluck $24
OF- Choo $1
OF- T. Hernandez $1
OF- Altheer $1
MI- Nunez $13
CI- Smoak $7
U- C. Vasquez $1
P- Ray $25
P- Archer $26
P- Kuechel $18
P- Estrada $2
P- Shoemaker $2
P- Rodney $5
P- Reed $2
P- Claudio $3
P- Ziegler $3
Res- Heyward, A. Diaz, J. Garcia, Tillman, Waino, Bush, Urias

I thought I would try out the stars and scrubs strategy and boy did I get some scrubs. Prices were insane in this auction so I got a little on tilt but came out ok I think. It's a start to the Auction season and now I need to adjust my values as I was way off and would have been on the sidelines watching most of the Auction had I not jumped in and started spending. All in all it was a good time and will be doing a few more this year! Let me know what you think

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:43 pm

tonights 125 dc just ended...4 hr 40 min. great group!

Post teams if you want.

lets get two auctions filled next weekend! Thanks!