1st Auction results

Hollenole

Re: 1st Auction results

Post by Hollenole » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:45 am

Great group of people to draft with. Had a blast. That being said the most unprepared I have been for any draft I have ever done and I think it showed in the team I ended up with. My intention was to wait things out and gage some of the prices since I didn't have $ values hashed out ahead of time. I believe I was the last one to win a player if I am not mistaken. So that was a success?? It was downhill from there, I ended up chasing my tail the rest of the draft. Anyways, here is my team any critique is valued:(BTW I believe I still have a Utility spot to fill, lol)

C - Contreras $24
C - Gattis $12
1B - Abreu $28
2B - Harrison $1
SS - Beckham $4
3B - Bregman $27
MI - Semien $4
CI - Nunez $14
Util - Broxton $2
OF - JD Martinez $31
OF - Eaton $14
OF - Duvall $5
OF - Brantley $3
OF- C Gonzalez $2

P - Carrasco $31
P - Price $14
P - Faria $3
P - Mikolas $3
P - A. Reyes $3
P - Vlasquez $1
P - Kimbrel $23
P - Treinen $7
P - B Parker $4

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Hollenole wrote:Great group of people to draft with. Had a blast. That being said the most unprepared I have been for any draft I have ever done and I think it showed in the team I ended up with. My intention was to wait things out and gage some of the prices since I didn't have $ values hashed out ahead of time. I believe I was the last one to win a player if I am not mistaken. So that was a success?? It was downhill from there, I ended up chasing my tail the rest of the draft. Anyways, here is my team any critique is valued:(BTW I believe I still have a Utility spot to fill, lol)

C - Contreras $24
C - Gattis $12
1B - Abreu $28
2B - Harrison $1
SS - Beckham $4
3B - Bregman $27
MI - Semien $4
CI - Nunez $14
Util - Broxton $2
OF - JD Martinez $31
OF - Eaton $14
OF - Duvall $5
OF - Brantley $3
OF- C Gonzalez $2

P - Carrasco $31
P - Price $14
P - Faria $3
P - Mikolas $3
P - A. Reyes $3
P - Vlasquez $1
P - Kimbrel $23
P - Treinen $7
P - B Parker $4
slow draft for this has started already. Thanks to nfbc for turning this around...........2 hr clock started just after 2 pm EST

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 pm

tonights $125 DC finished in 4 hours and 30 minutes. Great job by all! Post your team here if you wish!

Hollenole

Post by Hollenole » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 am

Maybe this one is better than the last. We'll see. Any thoughts appreciated.

C - Realmuto $18
C - Gattis $12
1B - Myers $21
2B - Altuve $41
SS - Correa $32
3B - Longo $6
MI - Harrison $2
CI - Gallo $11
UT - Brinson $3
OF - Kiermaier $8
OF - Kepler $1
OF - Pederson $1
OF - Hays $1
OF - Grichuk $3

P - Carrasco $30
P - Darvish $25
P - Salazar $10
P - Richards $7
P - Lamet $5
P - Taillon $5
P - Clevinger $1
P - Musgrove $1
P - Iglesias $16

Despite only one closer I like this team better. I think?

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:08 am

I do like this team better than your first one. I thought you had some great value with Correa for $32 and Kiermaier for $8. On the pitching side I thought you had great patience grabbing Lamet and Taillon for $5 each late in the auction. The weak point in my opinion is your outfield. I am not sure that group will get enough playing time. You do have 27 more rounds to correct that. It is just my opinion and I really haven't won much on the NFBC

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:43 am

Here's the fly by the seat of your pants team and hope the next 27 rds will fill all the holes. Lol
Money was flying once again and it seemed like you had to spend the extra $1 or 2 sometimes 5 to get anyone. I feel like I ended up with a strong pitching staff and that was kind of where a strategy formed after I couldn't make myself spend insane amounts on all the top players. Good news is I get 1st pick in the snake draft. I need it. Anyways here is the dumpster fire I ended up with. Lots of work to do in the next 27 rds.
C- Zunino $15
C- Barnes $9
1B- Belt $1
2B- Dejong $9
SS- Lindor $32
3B- Beltre $11
OF- JD $28
OF- Conforto $5
OF- Thames $5
OF- Gomez $1
OF- Parra $1
MI- Nunez $13
CI- Morrison $1
U- Suzuki $1
P- Severino $29
P- Paxton $21
P- Castillo $17
P- Kuechel $17
P- Diaz $20
P- Chapman $18
P- Rodney $4
P- Velasquez $1
P- Bush $1

Thoughts?

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 am

Hollenole I think you ended up with a a pretty balanced team. This auction was hard to figure out. We had one guy blow his wad on 3 guys then sit forever and basically overpaid at the end because he had money left. Then there was me that tried to wait but got bored and said screw it. Lol it's only Feb. patience will come. I also think your OF needs some pieces yet but we still have a lot of drafting to do so we will see how it works out. Good luck to ya. See you in another auction soon.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:58 am

I have an NFBC friend who is a firm believer in ADP.
We have several arguments about the subject.
Anyway, he has a peculiar method in how he judges his auctions when done.
Let's call it, '276 Ways to See if I had a Good Auction'.
Here is what he does...
The numbers 1-23 add up to 276.
That is 'par'.
He'll go back and tally the round number where each player would be drafted in a snake draft.
Add up those round numbers and see if he is 'below par'.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:17 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I have an NFBC friend who is a firm believer in ADP.
Here is what he does...
That is 'par'.
He'll go back and tally the round number where each player would be drafted in a snake draft.

I don't even want to waste my time with that exercise. Lol. I'm way over par. But I will spend that time on prepping for the snake part of the draft and if I nail it I might sneak into 10th place. So not 1st or 2nd but maybe 10th.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:45 am

Gb2715 wrote:Money was flying once again and it seemed like you had to spend the extra $1 or 2 sometimes 5 to get anyone.
in these smaller dollar auctions, owners usually bid very aggressively. in the higher dollar live auctions, the top players go for less; however the quality of the $1 players is usually poor in the higher dollar live auctions.

summary...in low stakes online auctions a stars/scrubs approach could work because quality $1 players could exist. in higher dollar live auctions, a stars/scrubs approach is much harder to pull off because of shitty $1 players

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 am

Gekko wrote:
Gb2715 wrote:Money was flying once again and it seemed like you had to spend the extra $1 or 2 sometimes 5 to get anyone.
in these smaller dollar auctions, owners usually bid very aggressively. in the higher dollar live auctions, the top players go for less; however the quality of the $1 players is usually poor in the higher dollar live auctions.

summary...in low stakes online auctions a stars/scrubs approach could work because quality $1 players could exist. in higher dollar live auctions, a stars/scrubs approach is much harder to pull off because of shitty $1 players

Gotcha. Makes sense. There were some bids I looked at and was like well maybe I should have bid $50 on Trout. :D

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:24 am

I think I might be the person referred to as "shooting his wad" early, and overpaying late (looking at average auction prices my total "overage" was $9, so not too bad). My team:

C Innetta $4
C Grandal $3
1B Bour $7
2B Wong $1
SS Seager $23
3B Shaw $11
MI Owings $6
CI Gonzalez $7
U Broxton $2
OF Trout $48
OF Stanton $40
OF Bradley $6
OF Robles $5
OF Reddick $2
SP Scherzer $43
SP Stroman $11
SP Bundy $9
SP G Gonzalez $6
SP Hamels $4
SP Estrada $2
RP Colome $12
RP Familia $6
RP Boxberger $3

My 2 big overpays in relation to the average auction prices were Stanton +$2.4 and Boxberger +$2.4. I'm quite happy with Stanton in that lineup (and hope he's learned how to stay healthy) and the Boxberger bid may be due to not having much experience in mixed auctions (I could have waited: most experience is with "only" auctions), but I did want to get him as I don't think Az wants to pay Bradley as a closer. I got Grandal and Broxton at reasonable prices but both I'm hoping both get traded elsewhere (OK, yes, hope is not a strategy), I thought CSeager at $23 was a good buy. Owings was a slight overpay but I found myself short on SBs and struck out on Albies and Peraza and ended up with Wong and Owings. Hopefully Maury Wills or Lou Brock will be available in the reserve rounds.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Hollenole

Post by Hollenole » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely have work to do in my OF. My intention definitely wasn’t to only spend $15 there. I will have to do some work on OF and get some spec saves in the DC for sure.
That’s a nice staff GB. This was definitely one of the stranger auctions I have done on NFBC. I think u had the right idea to be patient there was a lot of value at the end as a result of all the spending at the front of the draft. I wish I had saved an extra 5-10 to take advantage.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:46 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I have an NFBC friend who is a firm believer in ADP.
Here is what he does...
That is 'par'.
There does seem to be a kind of rough correlation between round and dollar value early in a draft. Sometimes you see disparities. Kenley Jansen has carried a third round ADP for a couple years now, but his auction price is only just catching up.

Saves were at a premium last night overall. Eight closers cost 17+ and four went for 20+.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 am

fwicker wrote:I think I might be the person referred to as "shooting his wad" early, and overpaying late (looking at average auction prices my total "overage" was $9, so not too bad). My team:

C Innetta $4
C Grandal $3
1B Bour $7
2B Wong $1
SS Seager $23
3B Shaw $11
MI Owings $6
CI Gonzalez $7
U Broxton $2
OF Trout $48
OF Stanton $40
OF Bradley $6
OF Robles $5
OF Reddick $2
SP Scherzer $43
SP Stroman $11
SP Bundy $9
SP G Gonzalez $6
SP Hamels $4
SP Estrada $2
RP Colome $12
RP Familia $6
RP Boxberger $3

My 2 big overpays in relation to the average auction prices were Stanton +$2.4 and Boxberger +$2.4. I'm quite happy with Stanton in that lineup (and hope he's learned how to stay healthy) and the Boxberger bid may be due to not having much experience in mixed auctions (I could have waited: most experience is with "only" auctions), but I did want to get him as I don't think Az wants to pay Bradley as a closer. I got Grandal and Broxton at reasonable prices but both I'm hoping both get traded elsewhere (OK, yes, hope is not a strategy), I thought CSeager at $23 was a good buy. Owings was a slight overpay but I found myself short on SBs and struck out on Albies and Peraza and ended up with Wong and Owings. Hopefully Maury Wills or Lou Brock will be available in the reserve rounds.

I like your team overall you did a good job on filling out your team. When I said blowing your wax I didn't mean you overpaid on the big guys. I just like having a little more of the $15-$25 guys on my roster. Personal pref. How that affected me I feel was once one team took 3 guys like that the rest of us that didn't want to pay up for the top guys got bunched up with everyone else so the middle guys cost more because 2 less teams had paid up for a top guy. The. You had to sit and wait which is fine but then we couldn't compete at the end with you because you had the money at the end to get the guys you wanted. So it worked for you but I wasn't prepared for that so it kinda messed me up. Now I understand how to handle that when it happens again. I actually learned something about my teams and strategies from how you and others ran their Auction last night. The season should be fun. Good luck

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:24 pm

C MOLINA $9
C B. MCCANN $7
1B SANTANA $10
2B ALBIES $ 16
SS STORY $11
3B TURNER $17
MI MONCADA $13
CI OLSON $7
UT SMOAK $6
OF ACUNA $15
OF INCIARTE $13
OF PUIG $13
OF A. GARCIA $10
OF DESHIELDS $9
P ARRIETA $14
P S. GRAY $ 11
P SAMARDZIJA $14
P COBB $7
P SNELL $7
P PORCELLO $3
P JANSEN $24
P KNEBEL $18
P MORROW $6

I was waiting on starting pitching thinking I would be satisfied getting guys late, but several guys went for more than they had in the other drafts. I really need the youth on my team to outperform in order to do well.
I bought Kenley and Knebel early and after watching what the other closers went for, I feel like they were bargains. Let me know what you think of my team

Hollenole

Post by Hollenole » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:56 pm

ChipChopChip wrote:C MOLINA $9
C B. MCCANN $7
1B SANTANA $10
2B ALBIES $ 16
SS STORY $11
3B TURNER $17
MI MONCADA $13
CI OLSON $7
UT SMOAK $6
OF ACUNA $15
OF INCIARTE $13
OF PUIG $13
OF A. GARCIA $10
OF DESHIELDS $9
P ARRIETA $14
P S. GRAY $ 11
P SAMARDZIJA $14
P COBB $7
P SNELL $7
P PORCELLO $3
P JANSEN $24
P KNEBEL $18
P MORROW $6

I was waiting on starting pitching thinking I would be satisfied getting guys late, but several guys went for more than they had in the other drafts. I really need the youth on my team to outperform in order to do well.
I bought Kenley and Knebel early and after watching what the other closers went for, I feel like they were bargains. Let me know what you think of my team

I agree you got a great price on all 3 closers, considering what they were going for. Very deep roster no superstars, but you saved $ and spent it well late in the draft.

VIRUS

Post by VIRUS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Sorry no auction values but here is a team I drafted in January.
Gomes
Suzuki
Goldschmidt
Merrifield
T. Turner
Arenado
Villar
K. Seager
Beltre
Hicks
Calhoun
Pirela
Choo
Y. Tomas
Rodney
Maeda
Ryu
Samardgija
Vizcaino
Colume
Kahnle
Giolito
Leclerq
J. Bonifacio, L. Garcia, Moreland, Mesoraco, Hernan Perez, Almora, Adrian Gonzalez,

Any thoughts???

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:51 pm

very nice job from the group tonight. just finished $125 faab...post your team if you want for analysis.

next up...125 dc next weekend!

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 pm

great group of drafters tonight.......4 hours 25 minutes.........2 hr clock in dc snake draft up next

post results if you want here

busy week ahead with auctions...thursday greg/tom/darik auction and saturday a 125 faab auction. Also trying to fill a 125 dc next sunday

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:19 pm

great group tonight in 125 faab.....4 hr 35 min auct and 35-40 min reserves. post team here if you want

next up a 125 dc tomorrow night