Snow in Atlanta! So let's talk about the Stanton Deal!

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Snow in Atlanta!

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:17 am

Their leverage was not trading him at this time. They don't start paying his salary until Opening Day.

Now they are talking with the Cardinals about trading Ozuna.

This is like someone buying a house in a ritzy subdivision, selling the house to someone for $100,000 and having him pay to move it to a ritzier location. Then you move a mobile home into the neighborhood. :shock:

If you can't afford the house, don't take out a huge loan and gut everything for pennies on the dollar. This is embarrassing for Major League Baseball. And as Mike said, it does nothing for the competitive balance of the league or for Marlins' fans. That franchise hasn't recovered from the sudden death of Alex Fernandez and it may never recover from that.

I think any of us could have gotten more in return for Stanton, huge contract or not. That's embarrassing. Oh well, the AL needed more star players and they sure got one. So did the Yankees. Torres HAD to be included in the deal and if the Yankees didn't want to part with him then you keep talking with others. That's how I see it.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Their leverage was not trading him at this time. They don't start paying his salary until Opening Day.

Now they are talking with the Cardinals about trading Ozuna.

This is like someone buying a house in a ritzy subdivision, selling the house to someone for $100,000 and having him pay to move it to a ritzier location. Then you move a mobile home into the neighborhood. :shock:

If you can't afford the house, don't take out a huge loan and gut everything for pennies on the dollar. This is embarrassing for Major League Baseball. And as Mike said, it does nothing for the competitive balance of the league or for Marlins' fans. That franchise hasn't recovered from the sudden death of Alex Fernandez and it may never recover from that.

I think any of us could have gotten more in return for Stanton, huge contract or not. That's embarrassing. Oh well, the AL needed more star players and they sure got one. So did the Yankees. Torres HAD to be included in the deal and if the Yankees didn't want to part with him then you keep talking with others. That's how I see it.
Hmmm. ok....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:29 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:How does Jeter do that trade without DEMANDING Gleybar Torres? At least get Clint Frazier in the deal. He has no chance of playing in New York now, right?

What was the hurry to unload Stanton, Jeets? Hold out a little longer and get the Red Sox involved. Anyone to force the Yankees' hand a little. Torres HAD to be in that deal if you're serious about rebuilding, which I'm not sure you are.

Good luck Marlins' fans. That shiny new house you paid for with your taxes has no furniture in it. It's barren. :oops:
The Marlins have spent weeks wasting their time making deals with the Giants and Cards.
Stanton held all the power, not Jeter.
Stanton, and now, time, became the Marlins enemy.
The Red Sox cannot be in play because Stanton didn't list them as acceptable.
Truly, Jeter and the Marlins had no leverage.
If not making a deal rather quickly, with teams Stanton found acceptable, the Astros, Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs would make deals with free agents.
Making their payrolls larger and leaving no room for Stanton.
They are in no position to demand anything. Only hope to get Stanton's salary off the books.

If any fans are used to a barren house, it's Marlins fans. :D
Manchurian Candidate.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"