Shohei Ohtani

Edwards Kings

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:32 pm

It is being reported:

According to a statement from Shohei Ohtani's representatives, RHP/OF Shohei Ohtani will sign with the Angels.

Ohtani picks the Angels after a whirlwind week where he narrows his choice down to seven clubs, and Los Angeles ends up with the winning ticket. The Halos will hand over a $20 million dollar posting fee for the rights to negotiate his contract, and they'll be able to pay him upwards of $2.5 million dollars after making a deal to acquire cash from the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday. The 23-year-old pitcher/outfielder is baseball's first legitimate two-way prospect in some time, and he'll get a chance to play in the outfield, DH, and start for the Angels in 2018.

Given the hype, voting is already taking place to go ahead and give the ROY, Cy Young, MVP for both leagues. Discretion is being exhibited however to wait until at least his first MLB game to vote him into the HoF. :roll:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

SpinningSeams

Re: Shohei Ohtani

Post by SpinningSeams » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Still, this Angels fan is excited.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Yes, I would be if I were in your shoes. It is a good signing and one has to feel that the Angels are a few arms for really challenging in the AL West. I like the signing, I just think the media, with little else to do, has blown this situation and kid up. He will be good, maybe great, but the expectations are now sooooooo high, achieving much less exceeding expectations (in a pressure cooker media market like LA/Orange/Anaheim) is going to be hard.

Please, please, please do not make me watch an Angels/Dodgers World Series. I do not think I can take that much Left Coast! ;)
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:21 pm

I loved the way he conducted business.
Send in resumes.
Pick the best fits.
Talk to them.
Pick the very best fit.
All in a weeks time. Love it.
Very very few 'experts' picked the Angels, but now they'll tell you why he did...
And most likely, be wrong again.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 am

So now what do we do with Ohtani? Where does he go after we've learned that the Angels knew he had a sprained UCL? This saga gets crazier by the day?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2175 ... hing-elbow

Would you trust the arm to hold up?
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:57 pm

He goes from being a darling pick to a daring pick....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Ohtani went 99th in today's Rotowire Magazine draft by Paul Sporer. I'm not sure how fall he would have fallen if Paul hadn't taken him. I'm not sure who else was on him at that point.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:He will be good, maybe great, but the expectations are now sooooooo high, achieving much less exceeding expectations is going to be hard.
Now even harder.....
Charles Krauthammer

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 pm

I wonder if the guy who took another in this DC #8 draft I’m in would have held back had he heard the UCL news, the Angels certainly claimed they knew and are not worried.

.....Oh yeah, Ohtani went #25. Lotta SoCal folks in this draft not sure if that made a difference.