Welcome To Our New NFBC Online Draft Room

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Welcome To Our New NFBC Online Draft Room

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 am

MadCow Sez wrote:9:00 PM EST just hit DC3 and we're on the clock pause...thought this was supposed to pause from 0100-0900 EST
I have talked this through with the programmers this morning and we will change the night clock shortly. We're on the same page now and hopefully this works better for everyone. The goal is to Pause the clock with the remaining time left (let's say it's 1 hour and 12 minutes) and if someone really doesn't pick during the night at 9 am it starts again at 1:12. Hopefully someone picks during the night or before 9 am and at 9 am it starts again at 4:00. But if a pick is made after 9 pm ET it will still say 4 hours and then Pause at 1 am with the remaining time showing. That's the goal if we can program it that way.

We'll get this showcased right, but even now you can still pick during the Pause no matter what the clock says. If you are on the clock at any time during the day or night, you can make your pick. So far it looks like all of the drafts are moving well, but they will move even better once we get the nightly clock showing no more than 8 hours.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:58 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
mdecav wrote:20 - When a player is listed in the queue if he’s multi positional not all of the positions that he qualifies for are shown next to his name.
To be fair, I'm not sure there's enough room to list all positions for a player like Marwin Gonzalez, etc.
We can see the multiple positions in the default...
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Some are personal preferences for the way things should appear, but the good news is that IT went through the list this morning and will provide some enhancements. Thanks again for all your hard work as it will just make the software better going forward.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:And another....

When admin added Otani to the owners roster, the drafter on the clock had his countdown re-set to 4 hours.
We loaded in all of the rookies as well, so this should work out well for everyone.

I think you have to jump out of the draft room and back in to see all of the rookies and Otani in there now. If you don't see someone on the list that you guys provided let me know. But I think everyone is loaded now.

We chose not to hold up drafts for this on Friday, but unfortunately the net cause of this was that the clock got rolled back. Tell the guy on the clock to make his damn pick and we'll be good again!! :lol: Hopefully we won't see a Placeholder for awhile now as Otani was picked in two separate drafts as the only Placeholder so far.

Again, log out and back into the draft room to see the new additions. Thanks.
Greg,
There is still the problem of the clock re-setting to 4 hours for a drafter when admin makes a change.That is an IT thing.
Thanks for adding all of the rookies and Otani. That should limit additions and changes in the future.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Minor thing but the last name is spelled Ohtani (per mlb.com) not Otani. You might want to fix for purposes of name search.

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:31 pm

On iMac I'm now unable to populate the queue by clicking on the star.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:36 pm

We are going to test this Pause fix tonight and if it works we'll make it live tomorrow. Expect the clock to go to 12 hours at 9 pm ET, but keep on picking. Hopefully by tomorrow it will remain at 4 hours and then Pause at 1 am ET. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 pm

On iPhone unable to list pitchers under available player, the "P" is cut off at the bottom (iPhone 6). Also cannot see the last two teams if I wanted to list their rosters (iPhone 6).

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:10 am

Okay, so tonight the clock will remain at 4 hours and when we get to 1 am ET the remaining time will freeze and not start again until 9 am ET. If anyone picks after 1 am the clock will go to 4 hours and remain there until 9 am. Again, if multiple picks are made overnight, the person on the clock at 9 am will start at 4 hours. No more 12 hour clocks!!

Let me know if this works tonight and hopefully we're good to go. Enjoy all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Francisco Mejia is listed as a Catcher. He should be U only.
On my tombstone-

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Francisco Mejia is listed as a Catcher. He should be U only.
He is UT only. I can change that. Thanks
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:51 am

I assume the 1 am ET Pause worked well last night in all five drafts. If you saw anything that wasn't right, let me know. Thanks and continued good luck in these drafts.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Texas Connection

Post by Texas Connection » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:08 pm

In the online draft room, I have a gray bar on the top line where it should be showing who is up and who is up next and the general order of the draft. It has shown up correctly there a couple of times so I wonder if it is an issue on my end. I can't seem to get it to show up correctly.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Same thing happened to me in the draft yesterday, Jon.
It wasn't a big deal since the draft can be followed in other ways, but it was annoying.
I asked others if it was happening to them. They answered "No".
It's sort of like that bar at the bottom of the screen saying, 'YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED'
It just comes and goes.
On my tombstone-

fwicker

Emails

Post by fwicker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Suggest you list picks from most recent back and not v.v.hm

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Texas Connection wrote:In the online draft room, I have a gray bar on the top line where it should be showing who is up and who is up next and the general order of the draft. It has shown up correctly there a couple of times so I wonder if it is an issue on my end. I can't seem to get it to show up correctly.
If anyone can email a screen shot along with browser you are using that would be a big help. IT is ready to look at it. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:50 pm

When put in the queue, all rookie players are designated U only.
On my tombstone-

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Our goal was to have multiple Round Ques, which was why 1 Round Auto wasn't done right away. But we'll re-prioritize and do that instead. Multiple Round Ques will have to come later. We'll add that to the Draft Room.

Names of owners will be added to the League Home.

We'll figure out a way for league owners to communicate. There's a security reason why emails aren't listed on every league page and it's not hard to figure out. It's part of your login. But we'll come up with an in-league alternative to communicate just with league members.

We'll get Draft Results on League Home as well like we had before. Inside pages are still being designed with more color.

The NFC designation is internal as our division is called National Fantasy Championships. This draft room is part of everything we'll be using under our division going forward. If that's too confusing, we can change it. But that's what the NFC stands for: A bigger designation than just baseball.

If you are drafting only on a phone, there will be some issues that you don't have on a 27" desktop.

The sky isn't falling. I see multiple drafts running smoothly. One not going fast enough for someone. We will continue to improve as we go and thanks to Dan and so many other owners we have most rookies and unsigned free agents in the player pool now. Placeholders shouldn't be used much going forward, if at all.

Thanks again for the suggestions on this thread and I'll continue to update here.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:23 pm

mdecav wrote:First problem. On an iPhone 6.

The position filter will not allow me to filter on pitchers because the drop-down goes lower than the bottom of the screen. I cannot scroll through the drop down unlike the stats filter to the right of the position filter. Moving up-down in that drop down box moves the entire screen, not the filter itself.

#2 - typo. The mobile webpage label shows as “Draft Room - NFC” instead of NFBC.

#3 - the times showing on chat are five hours slower than the timezone I’m in.
IT rolled out the following changes today thanks to Michael's input on the online draft room. Thanks again for the input.

These were all updated:

1) The position filter will not allow me to filter on pitchers because the drop-down goes lower than the bottom of the screen. I cannot scroll through the drop down unlike the stats filter to the right of the position filter. Moving up-down in that drop down box moves the entire screen, not the filter itself.

2) the times showing on chat are five hours slower than the timezone I'm in.

3) labeling typo: BAVG shows on the highlighted player but it's AVG everywhere else.

4) what is the purpose of the PTS number? (This is for cutline leagues specifically. It was showing up in one spot in the draft room in the dropdown to sort.) It has been removed for ROTO leagues

5) When you choose the player page and choose Stats for hitters, stolen bases are not shown.

6) Fix format of stats in stats pages for players. If a pitcher had a 3.00 ERA it shouldn't be shown as "3".

7) When a player is listed in the queue if he's multi positional not all of the positions that he qualifies for are shown next to his name.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:02 pm

This is a minor add today, but you can see a little more life to the inside pages. I think the Rules is much easier to read now the way they have set this up with the tabs and the blue headers. We increased the point size, which needed to be done even before Stanley said he couldn't read it.

Go to your home page at playnfbc.com
Pull down to Contests
Pull down to Leagues
click on Main Event
click on Rules

I think you see better organization for the Rules than we had before. We have the Sign Up Now link and the Contest Availability link that brings you to the Countdown Lobby. As we get to the actual online drafts, the Live Chat will be incredibly fun as we sell out leagues on a nightly basis. Enjoy that added tool. It was ADDICTING in football.

You can also easily click on any team you have signed up for now, click on your username, and you can see an easy button to add a co-manager. That's easy for everyone to do without contacting me or Tom.

If you are already in a sold out league, it does show where you were randomly picked by the computer before KDS ran (choice order 8). That will at least be very, very transparent in knowing how lucky you were in the random draw. It obviously clearly shows you which KDS preference you received as well. Just a little extra data that everyone likes to have to prove that Tom and I have NOTHING to do with draft spots. :lol:

So a little extra on the site as we spend a little more time on the inside pages. Thanks all and enjoy.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Looks like the My Teams page has been tweaked to eliminate some unnecessary spacing and list the teams more closely together. I like the improved look. The ranking, points and differential columns will be nice features once the season starts.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Okay, since it's not looking like I'm going to hear back from anyone soon (or perhaps ever), and I'm sorry in advance if only Michael has all the great input on the draft room, but can we please fix the issue that all of the rookie players as far as I can tell are listed as only UT eligible only? Makes roster construction kind of difficult. It would also be nice if there could be two different colors to differentiate between both starting pitchers and reliever pitchers on the draft board. Also the issue of not being able to scroll your queue on a mobile device is a major problem. It kind of makes the feature worthless especially as you get deeper into drafts and have a ton of guys in your queue. Also on a programming note that should be a quick fix: the automated emails that get sent to us (if we have this feature engaged) still say "SLOW DRAFT" identifying them. This is obviously not what they are called now and just bad branding. Finally, the text alert enabling feature needs to be set up if at all possible. If people can choose to not get emails, this could be set up and they can opt out of these as well if they would like so the data usage issue won't be an issue for people who have this concern. This will enable those of us in the majority who really like these drafts to move at a faster pace(and by faster, I don't mean at a lightning fast Fast DC pace like I host, but faster than two-three rounds per day). Why can't this be done, or can it? More shitty input to come. I'm working on it now... :roll:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 am

mdecav wrote:#4 - pitcher stats are not appearing

#5 - labeling typo: BAVG shows on the highlighted player but it’s AVG everywhere else.

#6 - what is the purpose of the PTS number?

#7 - aesthetic issue, but why do 2017 player stats need to wrap around on a second line?
We corrected two more from this list. Thanks again for the suggestions:

1) Removed PTS category on the mobile view for ROTO leagues
2) Player popup page for pitchers, the cells and the data run over each other, mostly near IP.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 am

There is one thing that I believe would be cool for the draft room.
I don't know how hard it would be to install.
I was thinking that the main focus of our drafts online is our queue.
We'll add and subtract players from it.
We tinker with it in between picks.
We'll watch it get ravaged as we watch helplessly, our next pick distant.

For those that have been in the new draft room, do you see where it says 'history' and it shows the last three or four picks?
That box is redundant, since the names appear again next door in chat.
So, with that 'history' box, I'd like to see 'Queue 2'.
I know, I know, another queue may be redundant as well, but hear me out...

We all use our queue in different ways.
Some of us use it as a strict guideline as to who we choose next.
Some of us use it as a grouping for our next choice.
Some of us use it for players we don't want to forget.
Some of us use it for positional needs.
We all differ in how to use the queue.

If having a secondary queue, we would be free to...
Put hitters in one queue, pitchers in the other.
Put our next round players in the top queue, players we don't want to forget in the secondary queue.
If near the end of the draft, put players from one position in one queue, other positions in the bottom queue.
More choices.

Our top queue would still be the primary queue and the queue in which the computer would select a player should our time expire.
The secondary queue would be another source to stockpile the pitchers, players of interest, or players 'not to forget'.
It is just a thought and I don't know how hard it would be to program, or what it would look like on phone since I'm a computer guy, but it would be cool and something no other draft room has to my knowledge.

Edit- I talked with Greg about this and, as feared, it would probably be hard to install.
Plus the 'history' should be somewhere in the draft room.
I also talked with another drafter who would prefer that history should be kept somewhere in the room, but players names that are drafted, eliminated from chat.

What are your thoughts?

Also, just a reminder that the draft rooms are fully functionable. Even as is, they are better draft rooms than what STATS had.
The STATS draft room was a dinosaur where we couldn't even use symbols like %, or $, or hyphens in chat. Sheesh.
AND, we could expect no changes from STATS.
We're getting daily changes from this IT.
As said, this is already a better room then we had. And hopefully, with changes being added each day, it should be one of the best in the industry by fast drafts time.
And No,that is not coming from Greg, it is how I feel.
Get in a draft and judge for yourself.
On my tombstone-

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I also talked with another drafter who would prefer that history should be kept somewhere in the room, but players names that are drafted, eliminated from chat.
This can be done in the Chat. See that wheel in the middle, to the right of the eye in the Chat row? Click on that and you can have just Chat or just Picks. It defaults to having both, but you are the master of that domain!! 8-)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:53 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:I also talked with another drafter who would prefer that history should be kept somewhere in the room, but players names that are drafted, eliminated from chat.
This can be done in the Chat. See that wheel in the middle, to the right of the eye in the Chat row? Click on that and you can have just Chat or just Picks. It defaults to having both, but you are the master of that domain!! 8-)
Ah cool! I will let him know. Thanks.
On my tombstone-