Atrocious Roto Strategy

Bjs2025

Atrocious Roto Strategy

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 am

Once again, "Experts" spitting about ROTO strategy that is just not good advice. Here is the strategy in question and what to do instead:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYCCQ5ZpkU

JohnP

Re: Atrocious Roto Strategy

Post by JohnP » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:03 am

Nice one! I enjoy your videos. Billy Hamilton is an interesting case. I'm not sure that he will be the drag on average and runs that you think and could steal an epic amount of bases.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:02 am

JohnP wrote:Nice one! I enjoy your videos. Billy Hamilton is an interesting case. I'm not sure that he will be the drag on average and runs that you think and could steal an epic amount of bases.
He is such a unique player for fantasy because he really is not even close to a top-five round pick with overall value but there is literally no league anywhere that will let him fall that far. So I will just never own him. I am even doing a 12 team draft on another site right now that is on base percentage instead of batting average and he still was overvalued.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:57 am

oh wise one- define "overall value" mine= you have 5 piles of $- all $20 bills. mine is 4 $5 bills and 1 $100 bill. are you saying because 1 of my piles has so much more "value" than my other ones that your piles have more "overall value"? hint- my pile has hamilton.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:04 am

headhunters wrote:oh wise one- define "overall value" mine= you have 5 piles of $- all $20 bills. mine is 4 $5 bills and 1 $100 bill. are you saying because 1 of my piles has so much more "value" than my other ones that your piles have more "overall value"? hint- my pile has hamilton.
Here's a clear picture rather an an analogy: I am saying that Billy Hamilton is a $13 player which I believe he is and he goes for $20, I would rather have Adam Jones who I believe to be a $19 player for $16. This is something that has happened in an auction I have done this year And I'm sure will happen in many more.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:06 am

wow- so you are saying take a $19 player over a $13 player? thanks.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 am

headhunters wrote:wow- so you are saying take a $19 player over a $13 player? thanks.
Hey if people weren't doing it I wouldn't be talking about it, I didn't say you're doing it.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:22 pm

no worries. i like the videos. eyeballs are eyeballs as they say.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Depends on how many teams in a league, if it is a contained league or an overall contest, etc etc. To blanket say it is horrible strategy is wrong, and saying "who gives a shit if I am 11th in SB" is even dumber yet, as it is certainly not the case in all formats. It also depends on your strengths as a player, and what categories you think you can find category help throughout the draft. In a 12 team league, I almost always will be near the top in runs and rbi. Therefore it makes more sense for me to find some speed guys, even if I have to give up some across the board production. 15 teamer, no so much. You need to discuss specific league formats before making blanket statements IMO.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:27 pm

My impression, Rotobro = 1 part yahoo kid, 1 part Lowy, 1 part Lastings Milledge. That's a new cocktail for sure.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:21 pm

KJ Duke wrote:My impression, Rotobro = 1 part yahoo kid, 1 part Lowy, 1 part Lastings Milledge. That's a new cocktail for sure.
I'd try it. I recommend decanting for at least an hour. :D
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:Depends on how many teams in a league, if it is a contained league or an overall contest, etc etc. To blanket say it is horrible strategy is wrong, and saying "who gives a shit if I am 11th in SB" is even dumber yet, as it is certainly not the case in all formats. It also depends on your strengths as a player, and what categories you think you can find category help throughout the draft. In a 12 team league, I almost always will be near the top in runs and rbi. Therefore it makes more sense for me to find some speed guys, even if I have to give up some across the board production. 15 teamer, no so much. You need to discuss specific league formats before making blanket statements IMO.
Eh, if you watch my other videos you would know I usually am just discussing winning the league that you are in.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:24 pm

KJ Duke wrote:My impression, Rotobro = 1 part yahoo kid, 1 part Lowy, 1 part Lastings Milledge. That's a new cocktail for sure.
Huh? What? Huh?

KJ my friend, I hope you're referencing "1 part Lowy" as the one positive in a not so positive sandwich with the yahoo kid & Milledge as the two negative slices of bread. ;)

That said I've watched a couple of Rotoboy's youtube videos and he's certainly entertaining. Not sure I've learned much new, but entertained.... sure.

Keep up the good work Rotoboy. I see that you've already attracted at least one ad to your videos. Congrats and certainly says a lot.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Huh? What? Huh?

KJ my friend, I hope you're referencing "1 part Lowy" as the one positive in a not so positive sandwich with the yahoo kid & Milledge as the two negative slices of bread. ;)

That said I've watched a couple of Rotoboy's youtube videos and he's certainly entertaining. Not sure I've learned much new, but entertained.... sure.

Keep up the good work Rotoboy. I see that you've already attracted at least one ad to your videos. Congrats and certainly says a lot.
East Coast-ishness aside, something about him reminded me of your prediction that Matt Harvey would win the Cy Young in 2016 following his "conservatively projected" 30-0, 0.00 ERA season. :mrgreen:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Ahhh Gotcha! By the way, that happens to be my conservative prediction for Thor this year. 8-)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Glenneration X wrote:Ahhh Gotcha! By the way, that happens to be my conservative prediction for Thor this year. 8-)
Is that your over/under or best case?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:07 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:Ahhh Gotcha! By the way, that happens to be my conservative prediction for Thor this year. 8-)
Is that your over/under or best case?
Worst case of course.

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:28 pm

First time, long time. Thanks for posting these. They have really helped me in my prep. Amazing how much I've learned. I especially like the videos teaching me how to win money. Sounds almost as easy as the body wrap pyramid the 25 yr old Instagram model from my office just signed me up for. (Let me know if you guys need a wrap. Maybe RotoBoy and I can team up in Vegas. I'll do the wrap while he charges a consulting fee to teach you how to make money at fantasy sports <<<Genius business plan.)

KJ- you're the investment guru around here. Do you think Rotoboy could be the next Airbnb? Surely he can find a stake around here for the ME (or Platinum) from somebody looking to make easy money.