Batting Average vs. OBP: Let's Discuss For The NFBC

Gekko

Re: Batting Average vs. OBP: Let's Discuss For The NFBC

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:36 pm

headhunters wrote:yes- I agree with mike. can't change this year now. gecko- for example- has about 5,000 hours of prep in already.
closing in on 5 hours so far this offseason, unfortunately. my first DC last year was Jan 19. i'm nowhere close to being ready to getting in one this year. :|

Donnie Baseball

Post by Donnie Baseball » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Definitely prefer AVG. The change to OBP would only give greater advantage to highly committed players and sabermetrics nerds and would not enhance the fantasy game. I prefer all categories remain unchanged.

CA Dreamin

Post by CA Dreamin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Keep Batting Average.

rickerbockerNFBC

Post by rickerbockerNFBC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 am

I think a switch from BA to OBP would add some interest/excitement in the short term (first year or two). However, I don't see it doing anything for the long run.

Also, in my humble opinion, there's more analysis needed to prepare for BA than OBP. I think it's actually reducing strategy/prep work/skill from the fantasy player.

tslive

Post by tslive » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Baseball has a Batting Champion, but not an OBP Champion. A walk rate over time shows skill and has added value, but for a single at bat not all walks are earned if the pitcher is wild or intentionally pitches around him. You have to swing and get a hit, and for that reason I think batting average is the better and more exciting thing to track.

EWeaver

Post by EWeaver » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:10 pm

OBP

i'll disclaim up front that:
(1) i'm not nearly as good (or committed) a fantasy player as probably most others here, and
(2) i have never been a big spender, maybe $700-$1000 a year here, including split teams, and
(3) KJ has a very valid point that, for the advanced (here, probably average) player, you're simply changing an input on excel (though I'd counter, if that's all it is, the change actually shouldn't matter to you!).

having said that, i've lost significant interest in the NFBC, despite what amazing operators greg/tom are, and despite the really good group that plays here, because of the antiquated stats used. [without trying to hijack, get rid of wins first, it's literally the worst stat in sports]. i watch a ton of baseball (more than 162 games a year, reg season), travel to milb games, spend $$$ on ancilary baseball shit, pay a lot of attn etc. etc., and pay literally zero attention to many of the stats used here to measure performance...because they are antiquated and have been replaced by BETTER measurements of performance used by mlb front offices. i, personally, like my fantasy game to attempt to replicate what the "pros" use, to iterate and improve, and not to commit to tradition for tradition's sake (does the group here really care what pop mlb beat writers vote on? they are writing for the general public based on a baseball/press construct from the early 1900s!).

by no means intended to be a dig at anybody here, in particular tom and greg, i'm just one dude with one opinion/preference, and this is my (personal) feedback on this question. i find OBP to be a more intersting/useful measure than AVG - go for it greg!

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:19 am

OBP

OBP just is a better metric than BAvg in measuring a hitter. In real life.

It doesn't really change the fantasy game functionally. We would be replacing one simple average with another.

But I think a fantasy game is always better the more it looks and feels like the real one. As long as the metrics are not too complicated.

BTW and FYI, I asked my nephew his opinion on this topic, as he better reflects the future for the NFBC than I do. A 24-year old who did 3 teams with me last year and will do 10 teams with me this year. He is both a numbers guy-business degree, and a jock- captain of his college baseball team.

It made no difference to him whatsoever.
- Robert

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:43 am

I expected a negative reaction to this idea. I was impressed, but not surprised that Greg threw it out there for discussion. Letting the community decide what works best is consistent with the way the NFBC operates and it's a big reason this place sets the industry standard.

If forced to pick, I would probably vote to stick with BA, but I like Dr Who's idea of running some leagues with OBP and/or saves+holds to gauge interest and possibly create another overall contest.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:26 am

Yah Mule wrote:I expected a negative reaction to this idea. I was impressed, but not surprised that Greg threw it out there for discussion. Letting the community decide what works best is consistent with the way the NFBC operates and it's a big reason this place sets the industry standard.

If forced to pick, I would probably vote to stick with BA, but I like Dr Who's idea of running some leagues with OBP and/or saves+holds to gauge interest and possibly create another overall contest.
I also like the idea of running an OBP section of the site. AL/NL only options other than just the two high stakes auctions would also be welcome.

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:37 pm

BA, I won't play in an OBP league.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Batting average please!

Now back to celebrating a packers win!
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

converge241

Post by converge241 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:06 am

No difference to me on that stat as long as I know which one this or any league is going with

thepats

Post by thepats » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:51 am

I greatly prefer OBP but play in both. I think OBP is a better reflection of a players' value to his team. I find it amusing that that the BA guys are calling the OBP folks stat geeks. We're all stat geeks. Some just prefer different stats.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 am

thepats wrote:I greatly prefer OBP but play in both. I think OBP is a better reflection of a players' value to his team. I find it amusing that that the BA guys are calling the OBP folks stat geeks. We're all stat geeks. Some just prefer different stats.
lol, also as if OBP is "advanced" or something.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:06 am

thepats wrote: I think OBP is a better reflection of a players' value to his team. I find it amusing that that the BA guys are calling the OBP folks stat geeks. We're all stat geeks. Some just prefer different stats.
And the Russell 3000 Index is a much better indicator than the Dow Jones Industrial Average, but no one talks about it. Most people don't know/care what it is, the DJIA is sufficient. It's not a matter of the better indicator but which is more widely understood with greater context, so people refer to the Dow. Likewise, referring to batting avg makes fantasy guys more relatable to the rest of the world ... those who discuss OBP instead because it's a better indicator are just being geeky. :)

converge241

Post by converge241 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:11 am

Sidebar, but somewhat similar

In a long standing AL only league that's been going since 81? 82? (I haven't been in it that long I am the youngest, 40) It is 5 x 4 missing WHIP because its "a made up stat" per commish

THEY ARE ALL MADE UP :)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 am

Okay, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I get the message. Again, I was just looking for input on a category that has been altered within the industry and wanted to see if there was a strong sentiment to address it here. I don't see an overwhelming desire to do it, so I think we can move on.

Thanks again. Let's move on.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius