"Punting" Saves this Year

Bjs2025

"Punting" Saves this Year

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:42 pm

There has been a lot of talk of the way that major-league teams are now handling their bullpens. It seems to me that they are finally getting it right throwing their best reliever in a high leverage situation. For us I think this means that saves are either as confusing as ever or as easy as ever. I've been running simulations of mock drafts where I don't necessarily "punt" saves but I do not focus on them in anyway. I simply take the top pitcher available when I need one. The results so far have been getting three extremely high skilled relievers that net me about 40 saves. Usually my ratios are really good but I finish about 13th in saves. I might actually go this direction this year

Yah Mule

Re: "Punting" Saves this Year

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 pm

There's an owner in the NFBC who has had a top 10 and a top 20 Main Event team the last two years while punting saves.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Yah Mule wrote:There's an owner in the NFBC who has had a top 10 and a top 20 Main Event team the last two years while punting saves.
This is what I mean, there is this narrative out there that you "can't" do it and I think the people that say that just haven't done it well.

thepats

Post by thepats » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 am

I did it twice last year in $150 DCs. Won one and finished 7th in the other. I've done it twice this year. I think it's more effective in the earlier drafts when there is even more uncertainty about who is closing for whom.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:37 am

thepats wrote:I did it twice last year in $150 DCs. Won one and finished 7th in the other. I've done it twice this year. I think it's more effective in the earlier drafts when there is even more uncertainty about who is closing for whom.
Many years ago, I was in a league with a guy who punted saves and steals. He executed it almost perfectly as he nearly swept the other eight categories. It was a very competitive league which helped him because he wound up edging out four other owners. It was a tough beat, but I had to tip my cap to him.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:38 am

i guess my feeling going through mocks is when there is an opportune time to take a closer I find too much other value I'd rather have. If one happens to be there for a value for me (which I doubt) I'll take em but it seems I personally would have to go entirely out of my way to take one.

converge241

Post by converge241 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:26 am

Saves + Holds combined category, lets go!

Two of he 3 leagues I run switched to it, and everyone loves it makes more use of the RP pool, depending on league size makes the SP free agent pool a little better if you have an injury etc. The 3rd league vote is split for changing this year with "absentee ballots" still coming as we get closer to the draft.

I think it would be extremely beneficial in DC leagues for sure

I know not everyone universally loves it and wouldn't say they are wrong just speaking its virtues IMHO

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:15 am

converge241 wrote:Saves + Holds combined category, lets go!

Two of he 3 leagues I run switched to it, and everyone loves it makes more use of the RP pool, depending on league size makes the SP free agent pool a little better if you have an injury etc. The 3rd league vote is split for changing this year with "absentee ballots" still coming as we get closer to the draft.

I know not everyone universally loves it and wouldn't say they are wrong just speaking its virtues IMHO
Saves + Holds is a safety net for managers who undervalue closers or aren't good at picking the good ones. IMHO
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Deadheadz wrote:
converge241 wrote:Saves + Holds combined category, lets go!

Saves + Holds is a safety net for managers who undervalue closers or aren't good at picking the good ones. IMHO
I don't see any skill and being lucky in acquiring saves. You overdrafted guy and hope he doesn't lose his job. Or happen to bid more in faab than another guy