The King passes away

Walla Walla

The King passes away

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:15 am

Just putting out for anyone who missed it.

Eddie Feigner, the hard-throwing softball showman who barnstormed for more than 50 years with "The King and His Court" four-man team, died Friday. He was 81. Feigner, known for his trademark crewcut and bulging right arm, died in Huntsville, Ala., from a respiratory ailment, longtime friend and teammate Jack Knight said.

With a fastball once clocked at 104 mph, Feigner threw 930 no-hitters, 238 perfect games and struck out 141,517 batters while playing more than 10,000 games. He was inducted into the National Senior Softball Hall of Fame in 2000.

A stroke in 2000 -- a day after he threw out the first pitch before the women's softball competition in the Sydney Olympics -- ended his playing career at age 75. He left the team for medical reasons last summer, and lived in Trenton, Tenn., for the last several years until recently moving to Huntsville. Knight said Feigner also suffered from dementia.

"Eddie Feigner was a genuine Jekyll and Hyde," Knight said. "On the field, a master showman, brilliant pitcher, creator of the most popular softball attraction in history. And off the field, one tough son of a gun. He was a former Marine, everything was by the numbers. He made millions, and was generous to a fault. Some guys got fired three times in the same day and rehired in the next moment."

Feigner not only pitched from the standard mound, 46 feet from home plate, but also from second base, behind his back, on his knees, between his legs, from center field and blindfolded. In a nationally televised exhibition against major leaguers at Dodger Stadium in 1964, he struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Maury Wills, Harmon Killebrew, Roberto Clemente and Brooks Robinson in order

Feigner began "The King and His Court" in 1946 on a dare in his hometown of Walla Walla, Wash. He had just thrown a shutout in his nine-man team's rout of a team from Pendleton, Ore., and the Oregon team challenged him to another game. Backed by just a catcher, first baseman and shortstop, Feigner pitched a perfect game, winning 7-0.

At the height of Feigner's popularity, the team played at major league ballparks, including Yankee Stadium, and Feigner appeared on numerous national television shows, including "The Today Show," "I've Got a Secret," "What's My Line?" and the "CBS Sports Spectacular." On the "Tonight Show," he pitched blindfolded to Johnny Carson, who loosely held a bat over a home plate. Feigner hit Carson's bat on his first pitch.

Feigner is survived by wife Anne Marie; son Eddie Jr., who played with the team for 25 years; daughters Shirley, Carol and Debbie; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Services are pending.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

DOUGHBOYS

The King passes away

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:24 am

Thanks Walla, I did miss that. The guy was a dandy. They came to town near the end of his career. He got tagged a couple of times but he could really bring it for a guy his age. The guy made millions for himself and for charities across the U.S. With fast pitch softball waning we will never see the like again.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

viper

The King passes away

Post by viper » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:04 pm

I made a post about this for my Uber baseball group when it was first reported. I saw him at Pioneer Park [now Sec Taylor Stadium] in Des Moines Iowa in my youth. He was a showman supreme and a damn good softball pitcher. Blindfolded fastball strikes from second base were amazing.

[ February 20, 2007, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: viper ]

Edwards Kings

The King passes away

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:35 am

I missed this. Another "one of a kind". I never saw him play in person, but watched reports on him and watched what he was able to do may times on the tube. I am as sorry as I was when Max Patkin died.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Philly CheeseSteaks

The King passes away

Post by Philly CheeseSteaks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Sad to hear about the passing of Eddie Feigner of The King and his Court. I saw his team play about 4 or 5 times. My father owned and coached a windmill fast pitch softball in Philadelphia (Philadelphia Pros) during the 60's and 70's and played for Flatiron in the 50's (if anyone knows the team they one of the best in the country at the time) and I was the batboy from 1966 till 1973 for the Pros--I was about 7 till 13 years old. He contracted with Eddie Feigner to entertain the people of Philadelphia Pa in exhibition games and Eddie's teams were awesome, pitching from 2nd base and having only three fielders. The best I thought was when his team woulkd actually play the game proper for a few innings and the competetive nature he had to do his best and get the fans to enjoy themselves.

Thanks for the post WALLA WALLA and Eddie is in my prayers.

One final note is that I meet The King and was his guest batboy when my dad brought them to town but I also batted against him and fouled a pitch which made my day that I will remember forever.

Thanks and Regrets again

Jack Hogan

PhillyCheeseSteaks

hankstr

The King passes away

Post by hankstr » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:39 am

My dad was born and raised in Clearwater. His team once played against the Clearwater Bombers and he had a chance to bat against Eddie. He also foul tipped a pitch and was thrilled. He said against Eddie that you had to start your swing before the pitch was released.

sportsbettingman

The King passes away

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:28 pm

This is interesting and new to me. If anyone hears that they make a documentary of his life...I'd appreciate a heads up.

Funny quote from Eddie...

"I'm a pipsqueak because I'm caught in a nothing game," Mr. Feigner said in 1972. "It's like being a world-champion noseblower."

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Vander

The King passes away

Post by Vander » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:16 pm

He was amazing. Used to barnstorm with 3 other guys. C, 1b, and ss I think and play against the best 10 man teams comprizing an almost no loss record over thousands of games. They just couldn't hit him. Former marine in wwII. Suposedly not very freindly when off the field. The king and his court as they were known.

The King passes away

Post by 751542 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:44 pm

is there any video of this guy in action??. quite a legend
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

Walla Walla

The King passes away

Post by Walla Walla » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:51 am

For those looking for video of Eddie for sale you can go to www.kingandhiscourt.com/ I don't know how good any of it is. I've never bought anything there. But it's a place you can check out.