The NFBC should think about hiring a Contest Integrity Offic

TRAIN

The NFBC should think about hiring a Contest Integrity Offic

Post by TRAIN » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:31 am

The NFBC is a national, high stakes, high profile entity that, from what I can tell, is run by 2 people - Tom and Greg. They have so much on their plate with the NFBC and the NFFC and those thousands of customers, that it is understandable how something like collusion might slip through the cracks.

Although we as customers can be on the lookout for things that don't look right, we can't see everything.

If they hired or appointed someone to just concentrate on maintaining the integrity of the contests (by constantly being on the lookout for possible schemes from signups to FAAB) and nothing else, it would be a lot harder for people to collude and try to scam the contests.

It would also give its paying customers more reassurance that we are all playing on a level playing field because we know that there is an NFBC official whose sole job is to watch out for possible improprieties.
Last edited by TRAIN on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fourslot40

Re: The NFBC should think about hiring a Contest Integrity O

Post by Fourslot40 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:18 am

We already have this in my opinion. It's the NFBC players. Folks can try to be shady, but as Greg mentioned there is full transparency with these contests. If something seems odd and Greg/ Tom don't catch it first, someone eventually will and bring it to everyone's attention.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:35 am

Fourslot40 wrote:We already have this in my opinion. It's the NFBC players. Folks can try to be shady, but as Greg mentioned there is full transparency with these contests. If something seems odd and Greg/ Tom don't catch it first, someone eventually will and bring it to everyone's attention.
I agree. The system worked the way it was supposed to in this case. I would hate to think that people would have to explain themselves over questionable moves that were most likely the result of carelessness or simply poor decision making. I hurried setting lineups and accidentally left an ace pitcher on the bench and activated some bum who was next to him alphabetically on a draft champion team this year. I've released guys and then bid on them the following week simply because I realized I made a mistake.

Ichiban

Post by Ichiban » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:11 pm

Greg and Tom do an amazing job, and that's why I play these games. But I don't think it's true that everything gets detected. Put three friends in a league and they can subtly collude to affect league placings, and if it's off the OA radar, no one is going to notice. And I'm sure it has happened at least once. Nothing can be done about this, but I think whatever you do, some scummy people somewhere will try to take advantage. Luckily, most NFBC players are extremely cool and overall, this game has a lot of integrity. So I can accept that some a'hole will cheat, if it doesn't affect the overall prize. ;-()

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:42 pm

I think Greg and Tom do a fine job, but with so many contests and leagues across multiple sports, I think they would be the first to admit that they can't monitor everything. I don't believe that hiring a "contest integrity officer" is the way to go. This would just cut into the payouts. There are some very simple automated controls that could help immensely. Whether or not STATS wants to dedicate the resources to put these in place is the question.